Delisted Nicholas Robertson (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

"Superstar Lance Franklin was also scrutinised for a series of jumper punches on Brisbane Lions' opponent Nick Robertson, but the panel deemed that "the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence".
No mention of Nick so all good.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can criticize Robbo for sticking up for himself. The free kick was called after the first jumper punch (when buddy turned to jelly to milk a free) and you could just see Nick looked him in the eye and made it clear you shouldn't * with him. Buddy walked away looking piss weak and Nick (and the other guys) could gold their head higher and see they can stand up for themselves against anyone, even a superstar like buddy.

As Robbo18 said, standing up for yourself, especially when your this young will only build your confidence.

Didn't Nick also kick the next goal on the run from 50 out?

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone can criticize Robbo for sticking up for himself. The free kick was called after the first jumper punch (when buddy turned to jelly to milk a free) and you could just see Nick looked him in the eye and made it clear you shouldn't **** with him. Buddy walked away looking piss weak and Nick (and the other guys) could gold their head higher and see they can stand up for themselves against anyone, even a superstar like buddy.

As Robbo18 said, standing up for yourself, especially when your this young will only build your confidence.

Didn't Nick also kick the next goal on the run from 50 out?

Not sure if it was the next goal but he did drill that goal you're referring to and that was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Good on Nick for standing tall against the Bondi Millionaire and for making him look pretty pissweak .

Had to laugh how another Swan (Heeney?) had to rush in to save Buddy from Big Bad Nasty Nick.

Poor widdle Buddy:rolleyes:

"Superstar Lance Franklin was also scrutinised for a series of jumper punches on Brisbane Lions' opponent Nick Robertson, but the panel deemed that "the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence".

No mention of Nick so all good.

Which just demonstrates that the MRP regarded the "Superstar" as the aggressor in the incident and by extension, means that the decision by the umpire to award a free kick against Nick Robertson as a "bulshit make one up on the spot" crowd pleaser.

A clear case of confirmation bias in favour of a "known" star by an official , which unfortunately occurs in all sports at all levels.

What I'd really like to see is a body such as the MRP call it for what it is instead of taking the shrug shoulders nothing to see here approach that they invariably take.

It is always the bloke that responds that gets freed/booked. Always has been - always will be. not bagging the umps - 99% of the time they do not see the instigator.

About the only thing I have always admired about rugby league is if a player gets belted, and he retalites fair enough - the first bloke earn't it.

Not sure if it was the next goal but he did drill that goal you're referring to and that was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Good on Nick for standing tall against the Bondi Millionaire and for making him look pretty pissweak .

Had to laugh how another Swan (Heeney?) had to rush in to save Buddy from Big Bad Nasty Nick.

Poor widdle Buddy:rolleyes:

Just checked, it was two goals after buddy got his. Semantics but I couldn't help but check lol.

Should Towers' have belted Robbo after he punched him in the back of the head when going for a mark?

So we praise him for standing up to Buddy but ignore his cheap shot. Maybe Buddy retaliated because of the cheap shot.

You sound ridiculous when you come out with s**t like that. It was hardly a cheap shot. He went for the ball and missed it - it was clearly an accident and Robbo has never been one to cheap shot a bloke like that contrary to whatever you think his character is....

You sound ridiculous when you come out with s**t like that. It was hardly a cheap shot. He went for the ball and missed it - it was clearly an accident and Robbo has never been one to cheap shot a bloke like that contrary to whatever you think his character is....

I sound ridiculous? His fist was nowhere near the footy. It was a poorly disguised cheap shot.

Should Towers' have belted Robbo after he punched him in the back of the head when going for a mark?
Jackess, from a number of your posts in the last few days it is evident that you don't like parts of the physicality of the game. I understand your point of view but this a physical game played by men going at it hammer and tong with emotion. Some are better at controlling it than others but honestly for what we have had to put up with for the last few years a bit of grit is nice to see. I haven't seen any thug moments from our side but honestly could you cease with some of your comments in regards to the physical nature of our game? Firebirds wouldn't mind a new member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackess, from a number of your posts in the last few days it is evident that you don't like parts of the physicality of the game. I understand your point of view but this a physical game played by men going at it hammer and tong with emotion. Some are better at controlling it than others but honestly for what we have had to put up with for the last few years a bit of grit is nice to see. I haven't seen any thug moments from our side but honestly could you cease with some of your comments in regards to the physical nature of our game? Firebirds wouldn't mind a new member.

So I'm a sissy? I thought we'd moved past this 20th century macho bullshit.

It's not an eye for an eye or ok to hit someone if they hit you on the footy field.

On the footy field especially it's weak when they're not allowed to hit back.

Buddy looked bad but so did Robbo.

Plus it was just dumb. Buddy wanted to draw a free and he did. He won't be thinking 'oh I better not start it with Robbo or I'll get belted' he'll be looking for a free and an easy goal.

It's not an eye for an eye or ok to hit someone if they hit you on the footy field.

Plus it was just dumb. Buddy wanted to draw a free and he did. He won't be thinking 'oh I better not start it with Robbo or I'll get belted' he'll be looking for a free and an easy goal.

Ok

Never called you a sissy and apologies about the Netball comment but you do understand that this is a highly physical game where you are basically at battle with an opposing side with 21 other blokes and if you have played the game the drive to win/or not to lose runs through your veins and does impact on decision making. I did state that there is no place for thuggery but our club would have absolutely no importance or fear from other every other club in the league and Robbo would be a player that I would be happy to have on my side and in this instance he made a small statement for our club and our players.

Never called you a sissy and apologies about the Netball comment but you do understand that this is a highly physical game where you are basically at battle with an opposing side with 21 other blokes and if you have played the game the drive to win/or not to lose runs through your veins and does impact on decision making. I did state that there is no place for thuggery but our club would have absolutely no importance or fear from other every other club in the league and Robbo would be a player that I would be happy to have on my side and in this instance he made a small statement for our club and our players.

If it was Stef Martin doing it to Harry Marsh and Marsh hit him high and gave away a free we'd be saying we'l done Stef and Marsh is an idiot.

It was satisfying seeing Buddy laid on his arse but it was embarrassing to see him running up to Robbo with a massive smile on his face after slotting the goal.

jackess, you felt it was embarrassing because Franklin ended with a goal. Mate you are absolutely entitled to your perspective on this . For me, I could not have been more proud. The Swans were pushing us from pillar to post in that game and were probably the most physical team we've played to date this season.
Sometimes you weigh up the cost in different situations and have to decide if the price is worth paying. One goal in this particular case made no difference to the outcome except that it showed the supporters and team mates that were not soft and won't be pushed around. The price if in a final and there was 1 point in it would be too high. I'd back Nick in that case to reign it in.
I don't want us to start sniping either but I do want us to start fighting harder for each other and showing the same grit the swans did because it rattled us a bit and we did not have an answer early on.

jackess, you felt it was embarrassing because Franklin ended with a goal. Mate you are absolutely entitled to your perspective on this . For me, I could not have been more proud. The Swans were pushing us from pillar to post in that game and were probably the most physical team we've played to date this season.
Sometimes you weigh up the cost in different situations and have to decide if the price is worth paying. One goal in this particular case made no difference to the outcome except that it showed the supporters and team mates that were not soft and won't be pushed around. The price if in a final and there was 1 point in it would be too high. I'd back Nick in that case to reign it in.
I don't want us to start sniping either but I do want us to start fighting harder for each other and showing the same grit the swans did because it rattled us a bit and we did not have an answer early on.

But it doesn't show teams that we shouldn't be pushed around. It shows them that if you do we'll give you a free in front of goals. They were physical to try and throw us off our game. Giving away dumb frees as a result shows that it worked.

The better response could have been; drawing a free or winning a contest and getting in their face.

But it doesn't show teams that we shouldn't be pushed around. It shows them that if you do we'll give you a free in front of goals. They were physical to try and throw us off our game. Giving away dumb frees as a result shows that it worked.

The better response could have been; drawing a free or winning a contest and getting in their face.
I don't think it does in general mate, but anyway each to their own here.
In this case it cost a goal but perhaps there won't be a next time because of this time??
I'll leave it at that
Not after a debate mate.

In this case it cost a goal but perhaps there won't be a next time because of this time??
I'll leave it at that
Not after a debate mate.

Robbo can be an antagoniser. If he knocked around a smaller player and received a free when he retaliated, I don't think we'd be saying good on the other guy.

It's great he's not intimidated by Buddy but Buddy got what he wanted.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/buddy-scuffle-a-pitch-for-respect-says-lions-backman

YOUNG Brisbane Lion Nick Robertson has no regrets after getting into a scuffle with Sydney superstar Lance Franklin on Sunday, saying there was "not much in it".

Franklin was back to his dazzling best against the Lions, kicking eight goals in the easy win, but late in the third quarter wasn't happy with the 21-year-old defender when the two were opposed in the Swans' forward 50.

Franklin 'jumper punched' Robertson before the Lion returned the favour and threw the champion forward to ground.

Robertson told AFL.com.au he didn't think much of the incident, but was just trying to do the best thing in a tricky situation.

"He's a lot taller (9cm) and stronger (19kg heavier) so I thought I had to get him away from goal and that's all that was going through my head," Robertson said.

"I thought I'd try and push him as far out as I could and back myself to run back to goal rather than go one-on-one with him.

"He didn't really like that, so we had a bit of a scuffle.

"We were pretty right straight after. It was all just heat of the moment and not much in it, I didn't think."

The scuffle was deemed acceptable by the AFL, with both men being cleared by the Match Review Panel on Monday.

But the incident spoke of a bigger picture – one that showed the Lions don't want to be pushed around.

"Being a young group, we want to become respected in the AFL again and if we have to do that sort of thing, then that's what we'll do," Robertson said.

"We want to bring that physicality and pressure, and if that's what the outside world sees, a bit of physicality, that's great."

More By Michael Whiting

I'll leave it at that
Not after a debate mate.
Hey Robbo

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed watching Nick yesterday and think he could be in line for most improved player and really glad he is part of our club

On another note not that I want to drag this thread away from its topic but I think you attend Margaret Courts church so hope she is doing ok. Some of the comments she is receiving are just getting crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back