Delisted Nicholas Robertson (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Reviews
#18 Nick Robertson

Nick Robertson elevated his game to another level in 2017, playing in all but one Senior match and showing huge signs of improvement.

Robertson averaged 16 disposals and four marks per match, often playing across the half back flank or in the midfield.

Never one to back down from a challenge, Robertson played on some of the biggest names in the sport during the season, including Buddy Franklin and Dustin Martin. It was against Martin that Robertson was reported for rough conduct and suspended for one match.

Robertson recently re-signed with the Lions through to the end of 2019 and was rewarded for his strong season by winning the Shaun Hart Trademark Player of the Year award at the Lions Club Champion.

Senior matches: 21, NEAFL matches: 0
07SyBL17MK%200258.JPG

Currently averaging career high disposals, DE, and contested possessions. You can see it live how much pressure he puts on opposition with both his physicality and covering the ground. Robbo18! Congratulations to Nick - looking forward to seeing his next 50!

He’s really coming along. Didn’t think he’d make it all.

Overtaken everyone as our best young HBF. He’s very young too and at 50 games we expect can only get better.

He’s really coming along. Didn’t think he’d make it all.

Overtaken everyone as our best young HBF. He’s very young too and at 50 games we expect can only get better.

I reckon he goes well in the middle too. He matched up well on Steven in round 1 before he had to move back - just out works most on the field.

Yeah I've noticed the more vocal types around me at the Gabba have gone from hyperfocussing on his occasional decision making errors to now saying stuff like "geez he is tough" and "I wish his teammates ran as hard as him".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently averaging career high disposals, DE, and contested possessions. You can see it live how much pressure he puts on opposition with both his physicality and covering the ground. Robbo18! Congratulations to Nick - looking forward to seeing his next 50!
Proud of him as usual
Jodes and his younger brother heading across for the game.

Congrats to Robbo, had a really solid year last year and has built on it impressively over the first two rounds.

Has gotten better every year and is a great reminder that draftees take years to develop.

Would be one of the first names picked each week. Congrats Robbo18 you and the family must be very proud, seems like a great young man.

Confidence key for Lions’ milestone man
NICK Robertson is living proof of the Chris Fagan coaching mantra with the tough Brisbane defender blossoming under the second-year coach and bringing up his 50th AFL game.

The West Australian’s career has flourished since Fagan arrived at the Lions, and on Saturday he will run out to take on Port Adelaide in his 50th AFL game, having almost doubled the tally he had produced over the three previous years.

Robertson has only missed one game under Fagan, and that was due to suspension against Richmond last year after he tagged Dustin Martin. So frustrated did Martin become he lashed out and almost cost himself the Brownlow. Rather than earn a clip from the coach, Robertson’s effort was publicly lauded by Fagan. Last week he was again living on the edge against Melbourne, and earned a $1500 fine for rough conduct on Demons veteran Jordan Lewis.

b3576d04fc5e2de14e1e527d228e82ea

Fagan loves the way he plays. He started as a lock down defender, and because of his elite endurance, also performed run-with roles against some of the competition’s best midfielders.

His ball use, the major flaw in his arsenal in the early years, has improved significantly and he is now evolving into a more rounded player who his coach trusts with the ball in his hands.

Robertson said knowing the coach wanted him in the team every week had filled him with self-belief, and that improvement had come from there. “Fages has shown a lot of confidence in myself to play my role and to do my bit,’’ he said. “And I feel confident in myself. “What he does well is instil you with confidence because he explains clearly what he expects from you and how he wants you to play.

“My first few years were tough. My third year I had a bit of injury and stuff, I’d played a bit in my first couple of years but I wasn’t as comfortable as I am now. “That is not because of anyone, it was just my mindset.’’

Brisbane are 0-2 but could had chances for victory in both their opening matches. Poor ball use, an affliction that had largely been cleaned-up in Fagan’s first year at the helm has come back to haunt them.

f50de7f6fde109cdb670a726ac2def36

But Robertson is not panicked by the winless start to the season. “We’re on the right track. I know we have said that for a while, but we really feel it now,’’ he said. “There is a lot of belief within the group. “It (ball use) has been a bit rusty the first couple of weeks but we will tidy that up. Those kicks we go for, we will keep going for. That’s how we will improve, and one day we will hit them consistently and we will be a very good side.’’

Five talking points: Richmond v Brisbane
5. Nick Roberton v Richmond
Nick Roberton made an effort to get under the Richmond players' skins last time the sides met and looked to be doing the same again this week. He was suspended and fined for separate incidents involving Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin after the previous match but went straight to Richmond playmaker Shane Edwards in an attempt to quell his influence. He caught the eye when in a scuffle with Jacob Townsend on the boundary line. In some moves more often seen in the wrestling ring, Roberton lifted Townsend up from the ground by his jumper, before placing him back down again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back