Delisted Nicholas Robertson (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really want us to persist with Robbo in the senior team. He is still learning a lot in terms of composure with the ball but he will get better. Just as we have seen someone like Harwood improve over time and gradually get better with his disposal (although far from elite) I think the same will happen with Nick if we can show a bit of patience. There are many players like Nick in other teams who get exposed to the top level and need time to really adjust. He is going through that stage where he is beginning to get his hands on the ball a lot more but are not yet at a point where he is composed with it in some situations. But that will come. He has the attitude and willingness to do the hard things that are much harder to train into players.

I like Nick, I like that he has that certain toughness about him that doesn't cave in if someone says boo! Can take some rough stuff and dish it out too.

We need more of the 2 Robbo's in our team.

I like Nick, I like that he has that certain toughness about him that doesn't cave in if someone says boo! Can take some rough stuff and dish it out too.

We need more of the 2 Robbo's in our team.
yep, it's very hard if not impossible to train that inner desire/mongrel/white line fever type competitiveness that the 2 robbos have. i would add rhys matheison, darcy gardner to that list, as long as we have decent development coaches in place i am sure nick, rhys and darcy will be great in the long term for our side because they want it so much. that calmness of decision making is usually the last thing to emerge IMO.

Think a lot of it for NRobbo is his decision making and just feeling pressure (even when there isnt any) more so than his ability to execute a kick or hand pass. Dont think he is bad with the ball at all, but needs more exposure to senior footy to keep adjusting to the pace. Once he settles in more, i think he will be a handy player.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

Nick played consistently well again. The second week now as a defender – a new role. This is just to help him add another string to his bow in his development as a younger player. He was playing off half-back – we thought he was probably the best player on ground as a coaching group. Just his ability to win the ball, win the contest, and again stop some offensive movement from GWS and really smash back with some intent and stop a couple of goals which was a great result. He missed a couple of kicks but all in all a great performance. That’s two in a row for Nick giving his some hope for senior selection.

Curious to know why nick would be playing in defence ? Why do we change players positions so often ?

It's generally a teaching thing. Say the club thinks he needs to work on his game awareness or defensive work on a particular player. That's a lot easier to do from the backline because you've got the whole field ahead of you and generally more options for the former, and dozens of chances a game for the latter. Play him through the middle and his only choice might be "bomb it to our forwards", so how do you tell if that was the correct choice when there are no others, and he might only go head to head with a particular player a handful of times for the latter.

I actually think he would be a good defensive shut-down type HBF and from memory he did play HBF for WA back in the national champs when he was an under-aged player.

I like the idea of Nick as a defender because he has that effort and determination to make a contest. Some of his disposal is first rate, but he needs to be more consistent with it. You want competitive beasts in your backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think playing him down back will be really good for his develop. Hope he keeps it up and gets back into the senior side before the end of the season.

Frankly, would be an upgrade on Claye at least.

He'd probably take some time adjusting back to the role but I was impressed by him there as a junior. A starting back six of minus Merrett who should not play on imo(Purely for his own benefit down the track):

Harwood Andrews Gardiner
Robertson McStay Cutler

Gives us some flexibility and hard at it types down back. Something that I feel was an integral part of our premiership team.

He'd probably take some time adjusting back to the role but I was impressed by him there as a junior. A starting back six of minus Merrett who should not play on imo(Purely for his own benefit down the track):

Harwood Andrews Gardiner
Robertson McStay Cutler

Gives us some flexibility and hard at it types down back. Something that I feel was an integral part of our premiership team.

Good post. That back 6 looks good; Robertson and Harwood giving some hard at it mongrel, McStay and Cutler speed and x factor, Andrews just an absolute stud, and Dizzy too.

Ideally it'd be nice to trade in a quality mature tall defender (Hurley?) and swap out Harwood.

Robbo18! Has Nick ever played in defence in his early days ? I thought the midfield was more his thing.
Nah
Never played there. Some have suggested he spent his early days there but I coached him from 13-15 in the middle, under 15 states was wing, under 16 states was wing and middle, under 18s states and WAFL was middle.

Nah
Never played there. Some have suggested he spent his early days there but I coached him from 13-15 in the middle, under 15 states was wing, under 16 states was wing and middle, under 18s states and WAFL was middle.

Interesting. Would have put my house on the line that I'd seen some footage where he looked to be playing there off the HBF in a couple of different games. I'm down in Vic, so don't see much of the WA boys apart from the odd game If I'm up there, some footage and the champs.

Nah

hmmm. Seemed to be in the back line last week. If I'm wrong correct me... but the biggest thing I have hated while Leppitsch has coached the team is moving players from their positions. Pearce from the HB to a middle sometimes high half foward, Sam Mayes, Lewis Taylor, Ben Keays as a permanent small with little to no midfield time, Tom Cutler the other week to the forward line, Nick last week.. Hate it.

Player Reviews: Part 4

Nick Robertson started his third season at the club well, winning the Club's first time trial of the pre-season. While he played six AFL games, the majority of his season was spent in the NEAFL and when he returned to the senior team in the back half of the year, he suffered a season ending knee injury.

Coach’s notes:

Nick Robertson is another one who was dogged by injuries this year. He only played 6 AFL games and in that time, played mainly as a wingman. He floated across half back but moving forward we see him as probably a winger or half back who can use his run and carry and his pace which he is exceptional at.

445322_nl.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back