Draft Profile Nick Blakey [Academy prospect for Sydney]

Which club will Nick end up at?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney.

Disgraceful.
Well I think it's hard to complain when you look like getting Tarryn Thomas as a potentially massive bonus, but it sure isn't good for the comp I don't reckon that Sydney get to keep adding elite young talent every 1-3 years, which just about guarantees they don't ever have to leave the top 8.

They're obviously a really well run club, but bloody hell it's a big leg-up on clubs like ours in particular.

1) Tarryn Thomas's father never played for an AFL club.
He's still very highly regarded though and potentially someone that you could get who you otherwise wouldn't have had another pick high enough to get, if he wasn't in your academy. So he's pretty much exactly like Heeney and Mills, but arguably just not as good.

It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, had a bumper Div 2 carnival, then got injured. He’s mobile for sure, reminds me a little bit of Jack Riewoldt.

His dad was fairly wirey, not sure if he will fill out into a power forward, probably more that J.Riewoldt or Gunston type at this stage imo.

I think if he plays to his talent he’s going 7-16 range at the end of the year

Sill think he will pick the Swans - his family is based in NSW so I can't see him moving away. We should offer John a role at the Roos - that would make the decision more difficult.

Would be an amazing draft if we got Rankine/Lukosius, Thomas, Blakey & Scott!! Would really jump start our re-build.

He will be picking Sydney. Known that for some time now. Best any club can do is make Sydney pay slightly more than he is worth come draft night which won't happen when you look at guys like Patrick Naish, The Brown boys from Collingwood and other F/S kids.

This is probably not the thread but I'll go ahead - I'm of the view that F/S eligibility should trump Academy eligibility - Especially when you consider Academy players are recent inventions and who knows if this program will be around in five years.

This is probably not the thread but I'll go ahead - I'm of the view that F/S eligibility should trump Academy eligibility - Especially when you consider Academy players are recent inventions and who knows if this program will be around in five years.

Agree - also fathers that win flags at a club should trump clubs they didn’t win a flag at.;)

This is probably not the thread but I'll go ahead - I'm of the view that F/S eligibility should trump Academy eligibility.
F/S eligibility has always been predicated on the consent of the player in question (see Marc Murphy and Bristzroy, for example). You can't prioritise it any more over whatever academy they may qualify for without precluding their right to turn down a F/S option.

Someone more up to speed on academies can perhaps clarify - can a regular academy kid decline a nomination?

F/S eligibility has always been predicated on the consent of the player in question (see Marc Murphy and Bristzroy, for example). You can't prioritise it any more over whatever academy they may qualify for without precluding their right to turn down a F/S option.

Someone more up to speed on academies can perhaps clarify - can a regular academy kid decline a nomination?

The difference is that the Academy program may only last a limited number of years - A regular academy kid must accept the nomination.

Blakey is free to pick North, and if he wanted to get to North Melbourne it would be easy for him to do. No one is forcing him to pick Sydney (if that is indeed the club he picks).

I want him to pick the Swans but it would sort of be amusing if after all the arguments between Sydney and North Melbourne fans about this Blakey ended up picking Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey is free to pick North, and if he wanted to get to North Melbourne it would be easy for him to do. No one is forcing him to pick Sydney (if that is indeed the club he picks).

I want him to pick the Swans but it would sort of be amusing if after all the arguments between Sydney and North Melbourne fans about this Blakey ended up picking Brisbane.
I would be surprised if he picks North - I would be shocked if he picks the Lions.

So what's your solution? F/S eligible kids shouldn't be allowed in academies?

Yep.

Sydney get's carte blanche with their academy, by comparison North has Creswells kids in the Tassie academy, but the same rules don't apply for us. We can't nominate them.

The Sydney leg ups continue.

Yep.

Sydney get's carte blanche with their academy, by comparison North has Creswells kids in the Tassie academy, but the same rules don't apply for us. We can't nominate them.

The Sydney leg ups continue.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are suggesting that a kid whose father played AFL for more than 100 games at a club is restricted from accessing great coaching and development at an Academy. All other kids get to access the academy but not if you are a F/S. If the grapes taste that sour before Nick has even made a choice, I can't imagine what they will be like IF he chooses Sydney.

Also, do you count the two-year trading ban a leg up?

And when the F/S club decides they aren't good enough? Or the kid never wants to go there in the first place?

They don't get picked or they get traded or they get overlooked a la Marc Murphy..

Are you under the impression that Sydney are compelled to pick him?

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are suggesting that a kid whose father played AFL for more than 100 games at a club is restricted from accessing great coaching and development at an Academy.

No, you're not reading this correctly.

All other kids get to access the academy but not if you are a F/S. If the grapes taste that sour before Nick has even made a choice, I can't imagine what they will be like IF he chooses Sydney.

There is NOTHING stopping Nick Blakey getting to an academy if he were not eligible for Sydney. The same way that North have taken the Cresswell kids under our wing. Sydney isn't the only club in the country with an academy. Blakey has been in the AUSTRALIAN academy and would have been so if Sydney did not have rights to him. It's a silly argument based upon self interest wrapped up in fake empathy. You don't give two stuffs about what is good for the kid, you only give a stuff about what is good for Sydney.

Also, do you count the two-year trading ban a leg up?

A correction to a leg up that got massively out of control. No doubt, you would see this as some type of penalty. Honestly, you Swans fans live on another planet.

No, you're not reading this correctly.

There is NOTHING stopping Nick Blakey getting to an academy if he were not eligible for Sydney. The same way that North have taken the Cresswell kids under our wing. Sydney isn't the only club in the country with an academy. Blakey has been in the AUSTRALIAN academy and would have been so if Sydney did not have rights to him. It's a silly argument based upon self interest wrapped up in fake empathy. You don't give two stuffs about what is good for the kid, you only give a stuff about what is good for Sydney.

A correction to a leg up that got massively out of control. No doubt, you would see this as some type of penalty. Honestly, you Swans fans live on another planet.

I suggest you re-read your posts. You said that F/S eligible kids should not be allowed in academies. If you want to talk about silly arguments, this is the best example. All kids should be eligible for any academy that they choose.

I'd also be interested in the evidence of any wrong doing by the swans that required them to receive a penalty of a trade ban. Personally, I'm happy on this planet I live on that has logic and reason. It certainly sounds better than the one you are on.

I suggest you re-read your posts.

I don't need to. I made them.

You said that F/S eligible kids should not be allowed in academies.

No I didn't. I pointed out that Sydney should not have academy rights to pick Blakey. Did you not comprehend my example of the Cresswells?

All kids should be eligible for any academy that they choose.

It's largely irrelevant as I have also pointed out. There's a difference between kids going to an academy and a particular club having rights to that player. Comprende?

I'd also be interested in the evidence of any wrong doing by the swans that required them to receive a penalty of a trade ban.

The Swans didn't do anything wrong. A massive leg up they were given was taken to an advantage of the extent the AFL never envisioned, so they attempted to correct the situation. The Swans still came out winners in the big picture.

Personally, I'm happy on this planet I live on that has logic and reason.

Your logic might be better employed if you actually read other peoples comments properly.

My belief is the F/S system should over-ride the Academy system - Let's face it these players are eligible for the Academy system because their Father's have moved to Sydney or Brisbane for various reasons - I will add that being son's of ex footy players gives you benefits that are not available to others, especially in non-Footy states - I'll also add the Academy System to provide clear pathways for athletes who may go to other sports.

F/S should take precedence over academy - As a son of an ex-footballer, they hardly meet the criteria of a talented athlete who could be swayed to other sports.

Back