Draft Profile Nick Blakey [Academy prospect for Sydney]

Which club will Nick end up at?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From the road to the draft, Hine rates him currently behind Lukosius. Thought that was pretty interesting, was watching his latest academy game. Think the Swans will have a very good one here.

There’s one big elephant in the room then.

Everyone has spoken about North definitely bidding on him, Brisbane were also involved with him, why wouldn’t they definitely bid on him at #2?

Everyone has spoken about North definitely bidding on him, Brisbane were also involved with him, why wouldn’t they definitely bid on him at #2?
Brisbane doesn’t bid on other northern academy kids.

We just draft who we want, then move on.

He’s not worth pick 2. Clubs don’t bid out of spite, it’s petty & it’ll come back to bite you on the a$$, they bid because the player is worth that pick.

Brisbane doesn’t bid on other northern academy kids.

We just draft who we want, then move on.

So you're basically stating that the Brisbane Lions Football Club actively contributes to undermining the integrity of the draft?

So you're basically stating that the Brisbane Lions Football Club actively contributes to undermining the integrity of the draft?
Brisbane will bid on players they feel are worth that pick. If you believe North would bid on Blakey early to spite the Swans North are undermining the integrity of the draft.

I don't care where Blakey is bid on providing it's where he is realistically rated. If he becomes the obvious number one pick then I'm happy for Carlton to bid on him at pick one, we'll just stump up the points (we have enough even for pick one) for the best player in the draft.

But reality is that Nick is unlikely to displace the precociously talented Lukocious from top spot. If Nick has a good U18 carnival, pick around 5,6 maybe.

The way North are currently travelling and the way they are being talked up on their board, they won't be postioned for a spite pick on Blakey, he'll be gone to us by then. A higher ladder finish may cause North grief if Thomas keeps moving up the board, whoa, he may even be bid on before their first pick!

Yep.

Sydney get's carte blanche with their academy, by comparison North has Creswells kids in the Tassie academy, but the same rules don't apply for us. We can't nominate them.

The Sydney leg ups continue.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Cart blanche suggests that we can pick up every player from our academy and other clubs can't, this is simply not true.

There is nothing stopping Brisbane, North or any club for that matter from bidding for Blakely.

There is nothing stopping the Swans from refusing to match the bids and passing on him.

People think that the Academy zones work like the old VFL zones and they do not even come close to one another.

Old VFL Zoning system:Club gets exclusive first call on all players within this zone.

Academy zoning system:Northern states get, at best, the first pick from players that they developed in their academy and in some cases they have to pay multiple draft picks for this.

For example if we produce 6 Isaac Heeney types in one year, we get access to one, at best if other clubs make bids - this ends up costing us multiple picks for the privledge of one player. Then 5 other clubs get a quality players developed and paid for by the Swans.

The Brisbane Lions Academy has to date produced about 10 players on AFL lists, most of of them have ended up at other clubs. They have done an outstanding job but receive no thanks from the AFL community as a whole.

For the record, this is just my personal opinion and it will no doubt upset a few of my fellow supporters, but from the limited highlights I have seen of him I've been a bit underwhelmed (like I was with Dale Garlett's a few years back) and I'm not sure his footage has matched the hype - I actually think he is a touch overrated.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Cart blanche suggests that we can pick up every player from our academy and other clubs can't, this is simply not true.

There is nothing stopping Brisbane, North or any club for that matter from bidding for Blakely.

There is nothing stopping the Swans from refusing to match the bids and passing on him.

People think that the Academy zones work like the old VFL zones and they do not even come close to one another.

Old VFL Zoning system:Club gets exclusive first call on all players within this zone.

Academy zoning system:Northern states get, at best, the first pick from players that they developed in their academy and in some cases they have to pay multiple draft picks for this.

For example if we produce 6 Isaac Heeney types in one year, we get access to one, at best if other clubs make bids - this ends up costing us multiple picks for the privledge of one player. Then 5 other clubs get a quality players developed and paid for by the Swans.

The Brisbane Lions Academy has to date produced about 10 players on AFL lists, most of of them have ended up at other clubs. They have done an outstanding job but receive no thanks from the AFL community as a whole.
What are the rules though exactly? Would you get 6 Heeneys and it just costs you next years picks? I know it's not realistic example but it's still seems cheap

For example if we produce 6 Isaac Heeney types in one year, we get access to one, at best if other clubs make bids - this ends up costing us multiple picks for the privileged of one player. Then 5 other clubs get a quality players developed and paid for by the Swans.

It has come to my attention that I have committed a careless oversight in an earlier comment put forward in this thread.

If in the event that the Sydney Swans had access to the top 5 rated draftees in a draft, that were all in the AFL Sydney Swans academy, and also just happened to be 5th generation Anglo Saxon Australians whose fathers qualified them as father son players at other clubs, then the Sydney Swans may only be able to muster enough points to draft 4 of them under the current oppressive regime in which it currently finds itself.

I humbly and unreservedly apologise for this callous faux pas on my behalf and I have determined, as an act of absolution, to personally contact the AFL and insist they rectify this outrage in order to facilitate and elevate the Swans to their rightful place on the level playing field, which the rest of the competition currently enjoys.

This barbaric desecration of the Sydney Swans integrity must no longer prevail!

Yours sincerely,

Snake (fight the power) Baker.

It has come to my attention that I have committed a careless oversight in an earlier comment put forward in this thread.

If in the event that the Sydney Swans had access to the top 5 rated draftees in a draft, that were all in the AFL Sydney Swans academy, and also just happened to be 5th generation Anglo Saxon Australians whose fathers qualified them as father son players at other clubs, then the Sydney Swans may only be able to muster enough points to draft 4 of them under the current oppressive regime in which it currently finds itself.

I humbly and unreservedly apologise for this callous faux pas on my behalf and I have determined, as an act of absolution, to personally contact the AFL and insist they rectify this outrage in order to facilitate and elevate the Swans to their rightful place on the level playing field, which the rest of the competition currently enjoys.

This barbaric desecration of the Sydney Swans integrity must no longer prevail!

Yours sincerely,

Snake (fight the power) Baker.
Wrong again. Are you that uneducated of the draft rules.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you did actually know the rules around the NGA and it's zones then you were being misleading or flat out lying to make an argument. Not a great look either way.

He knows the rules. It has been explained numerous times in different threads. He probably thinks if he repeats the lie people will eventually start to believe it’s true.

Eddie 101.

The main "big elephant in the room" is how Vic clubs regularly miss players in the draft allowing us to take them as rookies real cheap.

Came on here to find out how this blakey plays. Im guessing really well with all the north fans/vic clubs whinging.
Looking forward to him playing in red and white.
Hoo roo

Bingo! I called it. They're mothballing him, so he doesn't get injured and to drive his price down..

U18: Illness strikes down top Academy star
Callum Twomey
Jun 7, 2018 1:34PM

STAR Sydney Swans prospect Nick Blakey will miss the Allies' opening game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with illness.

Blakey, who some recruiters believe is worthy of a top-five pick at this year's NAB AFL Draft, has been grounded by a viral infection and will sit out the Allies' clash with Vic Country on Saturday.

It follows Blakey also missing the recent trial game for the Allies due to bone bruising, and comes on the back of last season when he wasn't able to complete the Allies' carnival after suffering a back stress fracture.

Blakey is all but certain of costing the Swans their first pick at November's national draft after he informed the club last month he intended to join them through their Academy program.

He also had the option of nominating as a father-son with North Melbourne or Brisbane, with his father John a champion at the Roos and Fitzroy. John is now a long-time assistant coach with the Swans.

Blakey, a rangey 195cm forward who hopes to play in the midfield in the future, showed his talents for the Swans Academy during the Academy series earlier this year when he kicked 12 goals in the opening two games and finished second in the voting as the best player of the carnival, behind Tasmanian talent Tarryn Thomas.

Thomas will line-up for the Allies on Saturday, in a game that has been moved from Spotless Stadium to Blacktown due to weather concerns. The starting time has also been changed from 10am to 10.30am.

Country will be led by excellent midfielder Sam Walsh, who shapes as a No.1 pick contender after a consistent season, while possible Geelong father-son Oscar Brownless has also been named for Country.

Bingo! I called it. They're mothballing him, so he doesn't get injured and to drive his price down..

Callum Twomey

STAR Sydney Swans prospect Nick Blakey will miss the Allies' opening game of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with illness.

Blakey, who some recruiters believe is worthy of a top-five pick at this year's NAB AFL Draft, has been grounded by a viral infection and will sit out the Allies' clash with Vic Country on Saturday.

It follows Blakey also missing the recent trial game for the Allies due to bone bruising, and comes on the back of last season when he wasn't able to complete the Allies' carnival after suffering a back stress fracture.

Blakey is all but certain of costing the Swans their first pick at November's national draft after he informed the club last month he intended to join them through their Academy program.

He also had the option of nominating as a father-son with North Melbourne or Brisbane, with his father John a champion at the Roos and Fitzroy. John is now a long-time assistant coach with the Swans.

Blakey, a rangey 195cm forward who hopes to play in the midfield in the future, showed his talents for the Swans Academy during the Academy series earlier this year when he kicked 12 goals in the opening two games and finished second in the voting as the best player of the carnival, behind Tasmanian talent Tarryn Thomas.

Thomas will line-up for the Allies on Saturday, in a game that has been moved from Spotless Stadium to Blacktown due to weather concerns. The starting time has also been changed from 10am to 10.30am.

Country will be led by excellent midfielder Sam Walsh, who shapes as a No.1 pick contender after a consistent season, while possible Geelong father-son Oscar Brownless has also been named for Country.
Mate, is that tin foil hat comfy?

Callum Twomey

I find it's hilarious that a Norf supporter is on here carrying on so salty because Blakey is coming to the swans. Exactly what I'd hoped to find on the thread :p

As the saying goes s**t happens. Suck it up buttercup.

If Blakey has enough injuries and illnesses hopefully he can slide to the 10-15 range by draft night.

I find it's hilarious that a Norf supporter is on here carrying on so salty because Blakey is coming to the swans. Exactly what I'd hoped to find on the thread :p

As the saying goes s**t happens. Suck it up buttercup.

If Blakey has enough injuries and illnesses hopefully he can slide to the 10-15 range by draft night.
Wishful thinking I reckon. He as done too much "damage" to his draft position to date IMO.

Back