Nick Bowens list assessment

Remove this Banner Ad

"But this season – with another three years' experience – Atley is averaging 15 possessions. Tellingly, he is averaging less than one running bounce a game."
That's pretty damning, especially for a player that is supposed to use his pace to break lines. I noticed on the weekend when he had chances to run and take a bounce he'd hesitate and handball backwards. If that's not the sign of a player bereft of confidence I don't know what is!

Pretty poor imo. It should focus on the older players.

Petrie, missed shots he shouldn't miss in front of goal. 32 y/o, 278 games
Waite, missed shots he shouldn't have missed. 32/192
Harvey, had no impact on the game. 37/393
Firrito, was annihilated by Elliot. 31/239
Thompson, made rookie mistakes and panics under pressure. 29/145
Higgins, brought in to finish, didn't finish. 27/138

You would hope McDonald 20/30, Atley 22/95, Harper 22/40 and the other younger players potted would come to the party but singling out the kids when the older leaders were poor imo is not constructive.

Who are we being compared to? Hawthorn?

Hawthorns older players:

Lake 33/235
Mitchell 32/269
Burgoyne 32/278
Gibson 31/173
Hale 31/222
Hodge 30/256
Lewis 29/223
Roughead 28/216
Spangher 28/51

That is their 28+ group, that group leads the club and the pressure isn't on their 20-22 year olds.

Our leadership group is Petrie, Gibson. Thompson, Dal Santo, Swallow, Ziebell, MacMillan

Petrie, Gibson, Thompson and MacMillan aren't at the forefront of leading the group on-field, Dal Santo is injured, Swallow is a poor choice as captain imo, he isn't very vocal, he isn't a good organiser, he just is hard at it. Ziebell is hot and cold as well.

Our senior group is letting the team down, we are bereft of leadership from the leadership group, most of them playing fairly ordinary footy, it is no wonder the bottom tier of the team is struggling, there is no direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our senior group is letting the team down, we are bereft of leadership from the leadership group, most of them playing fairly ordinary footy, it is no wonder the bottom tier of the team is struggling, there is no direction.

Very well put Tas. The senior group letting us down has unfortunately been a regular occurence in the past 2 seasons, who could forget the grilling of them in the debacle vs Adelaide in 2013 for example. Frustratingly this issue appears to be one that continues to fester.

Good article. Can you please forward it to Brad, the selection committee and JB Nick if you are reading this?

Let's not keep blaming the senior players. They aren't getting any younger but still looks to give more effort than the likes of Atley, Bastinac etc.
They've played 100 games now and still play like 40 gamers.

Saying that maybe our problem is recruiting and development? We praise Bryce Lewis Cam Joyce a lot on here but who have they drafted turned out as A graders to have played more than 50 games? (even I could have picked Ziebell and Cunnington, although they still lack consistency). Will give Wood, Garner, Brown and LMac time.

I'm going to cut him some slack. I don't think it was an all encompassing article, but it did raise some very real issues facing our future core. The players mentioned aren't tracking at a rate we would all like them to and his points were well made and fairly accurate in their critique of those concerned.

Given Heath's (oops, sorry Nick) close relationship with the club, I wouldn't be surprised if he has put a few noses out of joint and personally I welcome a little informed heat from the media.

Last edited:
I'm going to cut him some slack. I don't think it was an all encompassing article, but it did raise some very real issues facing our future core. The players mentioned aren't tracking at a rate we would all like them to and his points were well made and fairly accurate in their critique of those concerned.

Given Heath's close relationship with the club, I wouldn't be surprised if he has put a few noses out of joint and personally I welcome a little informed heat from the media.

I agree I have issues with the players he has mentioned, but when you're a patient being wheeled into Emergency, the doctor is going to focus on the cracked head and worry less about the broken arm.

If our older players were doing more than waiting for the next tier to carry them, and instead has the influence that the older players in any very good team do on their side, then you would find that will more than likely bring the younger players into the game.

Seriously, we may as well retire off the entire 28+ group if they are not going to lead the team. If we are going to suck anyway, we may as well suck blooding guys that are going to be around long enough to matter.

I agree I have issues with the players he has mentioned, but when you're a patient being wheeled into Emergency, the doctor is going to focus on the cracked head and worry less about the broken arm.

If our older players were doing more than waiting for the next tier to carry them, and instead has the influence that the older players in any very good team do on their side, then you would find that will more than likely bring the younger players into the game.

Seriously, we may as well retire off the entire 28+ group if they are not going to lead the team. If we are going to suck anyway, we may as well suck blooding guys that are going to be around long enough to matter.
We're on the same page there Tas. I think that a solid critique of the senior core by the football media in this town is beyond them. They are just an extension of the football industry sadly.

Good article. Can you please forward it to Brad, the selection committee and JB Nick if you are reading this?

Let's not keep blaming the senior players. They aren't getting any younger but still looks to give more effort than the likes of Atley, Bastinac etc.
They've played 100 games now and still play like 40 gamers.

Saying that maybe our problem is recruiting and development? We praise Bryce Lewis Cam Joyce a lot on here but who have they drafted turned out as A graders to have played more than 50 games? (even I could have picked Ziebell and Cunnington, although they still lack consistency). Will give Wood, Garner, Brown and LMac time.
Good post King Hansen ........ Especially on the Atts and Basti lack of real output.
I've used the term caveat midfielder before, as every one of our mids has something missing. We have consistently picked blokes with a question mark over 1-2 critical aspects of their game. Or picked back or forward flankers and tried to turn em into mids.
I also think we are so desperate for a real A-Grade mid that we've competely over rated any of our blokes when, in reality, they are all not quite up to it to be elite elite.

That's pretty damning, especially for a player that is supposed to use his pace to break lines. I noticed on the weekend when he had chances to run and take a bounce he'd hesitate and handball backwards. If that's not the sign of a player bereft of confidence I don't know what is!

Or a player bereft of confidence that his teammates will be available when he has to deliver. Not much point running and bouncing if you then have to kick it straight to the opposition under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back