Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont is a game changer. ND can change games but requires other cogs to be humming to do so. If those other players aren’t humming he is ineffective and invisible.

When the chips are down Bont will drag the team and change the game on his own. ND is nowhere near that.
Really?

You didn't see the 2023 ANZAC Day match?

The round 1 2023 game against Geelong?

The 29 and 2 (and BOG) he had against Bont's Bulldogs after they jumped them in round 17, 2023?

The round 15, 2023 Adelaide game, where the Crows had all the momentum at 3/4 time and were 13 points ahead?

The last 5 minutes of the 2023 Grand Final?

And remember, we're talking about a player in his second season here....

In the context of this thread you started, say that again, but slowly.
I don't understand your point?

Those examples are particularly relevant to the context of this thread - how many other players have been so influential in turning the tide of games, in only their second season?

And particularly relevant as a response to your comment.

ND can change games but requires other cogs to be humming to do so. If those other players aren’t humming he is ineffective and invisible.
Except he's not, is he?

As evidenced by his 34 and 37 possession games, Collingwood's best player and both times in the Coaches votes, in disappointing losses in the first two rounds of this season...

I don't understand your point?

Those examples are particularly relevant to the context of this thread - how many other players have been so influential in turning the tide of games, in only their second season?

And particularly relevant as a response to your comment.

The examples you’re providing are based in fantasy old boy. ND played as much of a role as half a dozen pies.

We have seen what happens to NDs influence on games the last few weeks when the pies around him haven’t been in good form.

Really?

You didn't see the 2023 ANZAC Day match?

The round 1 2023 game against Geelong?

The 29 and 2 (and BOG) he had against Bont's Bulldogs after they jumped them in round 17, 2023?

The round 15, 2023 Adelaide game, where the Crows had all the momentum at 3/4 time and were 13 points ahead?

The last 5 minutes of the 2023 Grand Final?

And remember, we're talking about a player in his second season here....
Was the missed tackle on Berry that lead the the Lions being in the lead in the last quarter in the last 5 minutes of the GF or just before it?

All the other examples are on teams outside the 8. :)

Except he's not, is he?

As evidenced by his 34 and 37 possession games, Collingwood's best player and both times in the Coaches votes, in disappointing losses in the first two rounds of this season...
Possessions are evidence of a good game now?. I prefer to apply the eye test. His opponents were carving the pies up and he was providing little defence annd was getting the ball in not damaging positions. Only junk time goals hid how poor those games were from the pies.

Will be fascinating to see how he addresses the elephant in the room you struggle to see. Other young players like Serong and Guilden have gone past him as they don’t take a backwards step.
Gulden's contested ability is highly overrated and any "bull-like" status people are keen to assign him is misplaced.

Great player - a jet. But let's not pretend he is a Green or Serong type just for the sake of it. He is an outside midfielder.

Gulden's contested ability is highly overrated and any "bull-like" status people are keen to assign him is misplaced.

Great player - a jet. But let's not pretend he is a Green or Serong type just for the sake of it. He is an outside midfielder.
Not sure where I said Errol was bull like. Just that he had gone past ND and didn’t take a backward step

He shouldn't be grouped with Serong as he plays nothing like him.

Gulden is bigger framed than Daicos but hardly a contested beast. He's the silk.
Once again I am not sure where I said Errol plays anything like Serong
I grouped them together because the are players that:
  • are young
  • have gone past ND
  • don't take a backwards step (this is not to be confused with any ball winning attributes). This grouping also includes pretty much every AFL player other than ND

Once again I am not sure where I said Errol plays anything like Serong
I grouped them together because the are players that:
  • are young
  • have gone past ND
  • don't take a backwards step (this is not to be confused with any ball winning attributes). This grouping also includes pretty much every AFL player other than ND
Serong's in his 5th season and Gulden in his 4th. Daicos is in his 3rd so he should never have been "ahead" of them to begin with.

You're implying that he was actually ahead of them at some point, indicating his early output has indeed been of a high standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong's in his 5th season and Gulden in his 4th. Daicos is in his 3rd so he should never have been "ahead" of them to begin with.

You're implying that he was actually ahead of them at some point, indicating his early output has indeed been of a high standard.
Daicos has these guys tying themselves in knots....

And if Serong and Gulden have indeed 'gone past Daicos', it's courtesy of a sample set of 2 to 3 games in 2024, despite Daicos being his team's best player in 2 of his 3 appearances this season.

Wowee.

Has Fudge imagined any further NBMs (Nearly Brownlow Medals) to Collingwood players overnight?

I’m think John Greening is surely deserving of an NBM for his cut short 72(?) season.

And surely Peter Moore’s second Brownlow is nearly considered won at Collingwood.

And surely Geoff Hayward is awarded an NBM for wearing Collingwood colours in The Club.

I think this is a common case of over rating a player from your team. Every supporter base does it and Fadge is the latest victim of it. Can't see the forest for all the trees.
Except my views have been supported by many neutrals in this very thread, and also outside of this thread.

Then we have two other categories of posters:
1. Those who reasonably debate the 'Daicos is the best young player in the competition and has had the best first two years we have seen from a player in the modern era' view;
2. Those who are simply jealous of how good he already is, and fearful of how good he is going to be, and are doing anything they can to cut down the tall poppy that is Nick Daicos.

Has Fudge imagined any further NBMs (Nearly Brownlow Medals) to Collingwood players overnight?

I’m think John Greening is surely deserving of an NBM for his cut short 72(?) season.

And surely Peter Moore’s second Brownlow is nearly considered won at Collingwood.

And surely Geoff Hayward is awarded an NBM for wearing Collingwood colours in The Club.
Nice attempted humour. Do you write your own material?

There have been two players in recent times who were certainties to sweep ALL the individual awards if not for their home and away seasons being cut short by injury:
1. GAJ in 2014, and
2. N. Daicos in 2023.

Nick is in very good company.

There have been two players in recent times who were certainties to sweep ALL the individual awards if not for their home and away seasons being cut short by injury:
1. GAJ in 2014, and
2. N. Daicos in 2023.

Like Dusty actually did in 2017.

No IMAGINING necessary.

1. GAJ in 2014, and
2. N. Daicos in 2023.

Given ND didn't poll Brownlow votes in his last 3 regular season games last year there is no certainty that he would have in the 3 he missed. He wouldn't have polled votes in the 3 games this year, unless McCrae was handing them out.

Imagination land is a wonderful place. It’s that same fairytale place where Nick Flakeos doesn’t shirk the contest.

The shifting of goal posts by the author

Nicki has now gone from the best player in the competition to the best player currently at the Pies

Unfortunately that doesn't help his GOAT status
If we are just going on this year, Darcy Cameron has had a better start to the season. Only Pies player to beat his opponent in all of the first 3 rounds and should be in AA consideration at this stage (smashed Grundy who smashed Gawn). ND hasn't done it in 1 yet.

Nick will never be the GOAT Collingwood player let alone the GOAT VFL/AFL Player. This is an embarrassing thread and ridiculous to even debate for a third year player. Pressure and over inflating players potential has destroyed the careers of many a young promising player. Be careful the weight of expectation from supporters and the media doesn't hold him back.

Back