Who will have the better career?

• Nick Daicos

Votes: 173 58.4%
  • Sam Walsh

Votes: 123 41.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not old but is it. It's real and it's been identified many times
Ok we’ll get right onto that this pre season. Just run at balls in dispute like a mad man and ignore all the team rules and structures. I guess we’ll have to accept that he’s a soft outside receiver even through he had the second most contested possessions on the ground in the granny and many other games. For that it’s worth Walsh is an absolute jet and I’d love him at the Pies. I won’t belittle his courage to make myself feel better

Put the ball in the middle of the ground and walsh on 1 wing, and Daicos on the other wing. Both players are exactly the same pace.
Let them run for the ball at the same time
Pretty sure Walsh would get it first, and Daicos would not want the physical contact for fear of getting hurt.
This is why Walsh is a better player currently.
Until Daicos grows a pair, I will not be convinced
Why waste Daicos on a wing? Put him in the guts with 5 minutes to go in a grand final with the premiership on the line. What will happen? Hang on, we already know the answer to that.

daicos.PNG

He'll win a hard ball against one of the best ball winners of the modern era, pass off efficiently, leave his opponent in his tracks, get to half-forward and follow up to assist the goal that turned the game.

Why waste Daicos on a wing? Put him in the guts with 5 minutes to go in a grand final with the premiership on the line. What will happen? Hang on, we already know the answer to that.

View attachment 1886044

He'll win a hard ball against one of the best ball winners of the modern era, pass off efficiently, leave his opponent in his tracks, get to half-forward and follow up to assist the goal that turned the game.
Very hard to dispute reality.

But I reckon our Navy Blue and White friends will try....

It's not old but is it. It's real and it's been identified many times
In games where Nick attended 40+% CBA's he avg 10 contested touches and 5.4 tackles a game. Numbers that got better as the season went on. Walsh wasn't getting those contested numbers till his third season and has never avg above 5 tackles a game.

Not saying he's a hard nut, but people were laughing that he couldn't lay a tackle mid season. His physicality visibly improved as the season went along. Who knew a second year player who is still relatively slight and only just started getting significant midfield time mid season might start off a bit tentative in the physicality stakes.

By the numbers if you only look at games where he played midfield, he's tracking just fine in terms of his contested work given his age and experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were in a close GF with under a minute to play and the ball found its way to your guy, who do you want it to be? Daicos or Walsh?

It will never be Walsh. It wouldn't be another player in the AFL over Daicos and that includes our own legend Pendles.
Daicos averaged 0.6 goal assists a game... Walsh averaged 1 a game...

But my answer would be Mccluggage and has been for the last 3-4 years. Had 3 in the Grand final this year too on top of his 2 goals

But my answer would be Mccluggage and has been for the last 3-4 years. Had 3 in the Grand final this year too on top of his 2 goals
If the 3-20 Eagles make a grand final then Walsh would be my pick. 33% of his assists were against them last year.

Wasn’t really an answer to the question anyway. You can play a significant part in the goal without it being an asisst.

Hahahaha. Go ask Lions fans if they'd prefer McLuggage with the ball in hand or Nick Daicos.

There is no argument he is on Ablett Jr levels with ball in hand, Walsh has the edge in hard ball gets, but Daicos has some freakish vision that maybe even Ablett Jr couldn't pull off.

Very happy Nick doesn't bother with the Matt Priddis, Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps hard ball and just uses it on the outside. It's also awesome to see it break people's heads, like an outside player can't be the best in the game because they are not manly enough.

If the 3-20 Eagles make a grand final then Walsh would be my pick. 33% of his assists were against them last year.

Wasn’t really an answer to the question anyway. You can play a significant part in the goal without it being an asisst.
Funnily enough, Walsh only played 1 and a half quarters vs the Eagles the 2nd time around where he had 3 goal assists.

On the other hand... Nick Daicos has had 2 games in his career that he's had more than 1 goal assist.

Reckon there's a few ahead of him when it comes to distributing the ball inside 50.

Back