List Mgmt. Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s a flopping w***er, but his season in 2017 was one of the best individual ones I’ve seen
As I said.
Maybe I missed that season.
Was he at Adelaide or Geebung?

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with Sco's attitude it's just that no one will ever convince him he is missing out on something because he is just too analytical.

Of course I am biased because I grew up in a magpie household in the '50's and '60's in Abbotsford, just up the road from Victoria Park. Every Saturday morning in the winter dad would come back from the shoe factory half day shift and mum would have is 6 long necks and sandwiches ready and he would scoop me up to march down to Vic Park,

Sitting on dad's shoulders in the outer and surrounded by his mates in my home knitted beanie and scarf I would yell my lungs out for 'Sticky fingers' and 'Bobby'. Then at quarter time we would pelt onto the ground seeking autographs and a few words with those - to my child eyes - giants. They were never to weary to 'have a chat or ruffle my hair'. My prized possession is that childhood autograph book with all their names in it and it will be buried with me.

They weren't just sportsmen, they were family and beacons to the way out of the slums and the eternal cold.

Today's 'footy' experience is pale and sterile in comparison.
Best post I have read on BF,
Took me back to memories of racing out to pat Peter McKenna on the back, before charging after Peter Moore

I actually think Dangerfield has had 2 specific seasons that reached a level Dusty didn’t even get close to throughout his entire career.

Danger imo doesn’t just deserve to be part of the conversation but is at the very top of that list

That game Geelong vs Hawks on 1 leg and he went fwd and tore them a new one was great to watch. Hawks put about 4 different opponents on him and none could go with him, his biggest let down is accuracy by foot.

“Some may hear this as potential bias, but from what I’ve seen this year, I do see those two as the highest-talented players of any in this draft,” Davenport declared.

“The way they’ve carried themselves, the maturity… and we’re talking about 18-year-old men coming out of school and transitioning into the full-time environment of being an elite athlete.

“It’s been admirable, really.”

Davenport outlined why Daicos will be ready to contribute for the Pies from day dot.

“He has that edge that great players require,” he explained.

“A sense of determination is going to allow him to have at the very least a really successful and long career with Collingwood.

“More importantly, his skill set as a player is quite unique. We often look at these smaller midfielders and try to pigeonhole them, and compare them to different players.

“‘Daics’ himself is quite unique. He’s got a great ball-winning ability, his running capacity is outstanding already, his decision-making and ball use is elite not just for his age group.

“He has a level of composure that sat second-to-none really, in the (NAB League).”

Davenport says Daicos can rotate through different positions in the event that an experienced player curbs his impact.

“We see it at the next level, Marcus Bontempelli for instance has a great ability to go forward, mark and kick goals,” he explained.

“Then Robbie Gray can dominate clearances and hit the scoreboard two or three times as a small forward.

“These special players often find a way.

“Whether that be in one area of the ground through sheer determination, or like Nick who can carry two or three positions where he can really influence the game.”

Any of us caring whether Collingwood kick a ball through some sticks more often than the other team is pretty bloody odd when you get down to it - but we do care and enjoy caring for some strange reason.

Kick a sausage down the hallway...
I don't care what we do.
So long as we win....
More so against carton......

Second season at the Cats. Kicked 45.32 and averaged 30 disposals a game.
I don't think you are ever going to win me over.
No doubt he is good.
I still think over-rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Nicky Daicos is as good as we all think he might be....stick him in the guts with JDG and McCrae and Adams. Don't try and hybridise another rare talent by making him play as a small forward.
If he's good enough to play mid, he plays mid no questions asked.

If he's not quite ready for mid, I think hbf is the go, as he'll get a heap of footy, run carry and hopefully open things up.

Last edited:
Excessive supply of what ? Young quality forwards? Not even.

I agree 100%.

Would much rather his smarts, ball use, goal kicking and creativity in the front half whilst he builds his body to play more midfield minutes.

Mostly high half forward for mine next year, pushing into forward half stoppages.

I reckon if Nick follows the path Josh took and doesn't want to keep 35, then they should give Nick 3 and Josh 5

Perhaps the idea of making a number their own appeals to them. Everyone wants to be their own man.

Yes, dad is a legendary player and a top bloke but that can weigh a kid down. I know Josh struggled with it as a kid.

Last edited:
Nick's development coach compared him to Bont, Gray and Didak... :D

Can't decide who I would take out of those three, I have a number of fond memories of Didak!

Last edited:
Nick's development coach compared him to Bont, Grey and Didak... :D

Can't decide who I would take out of those three, I have a number of fond memories of Didak!
Gray and Didak are/were spectacular players, but you take Bont out of the three for plain match-winning ability.

My absolute high-end comparison for Nick Daicos (without any expectation he'll reach this level) is GAJ. Similar size, similar ability to hit the scoreboard, and similar innate ability to read the play and get to where the footy is time and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back