Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you are really underselling how good Didak actually was.

Absolute gun.
I am absolutely not underselling Dids. A true champion and deserving of all respect.

But . . .

Daicos Snr thrashes him on every level.

I watched Daic's live from game 1 and Dids never saw the day that he could even approach in any respect the irresistible force which was Daics.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didak was my favourite player from that era. We all loved him and could produce only things Dids could do, But I think its well known that Nick is the complete player, so he'll have tricks, but he'll have so much more.
Agreed Dids was amazing for his era but Nick has had the benefit of a much more scientific early development and personal in home coaching - probably from the toddling stage - from the incomparable master himself.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with most here - there is a huge gulf between Peter Daicos and Didak. I suspect Nick will fall more towards the Didak side of that continuum, but let's see.

Didak a long way behind Peter though.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not saying he is on the same level as Peter, but to say he didn’t have that many tricks is inaccurate IMO.

His trick bag was overflowing.

Regardless both guns and glad they played for the Pies.
Cough, couch** dribble goal ** cough cough . .

Daics35Marvel

All Australian
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
By us saying we will match any offer, doesn't it guarantee that North will pick him at #1? Couldn't we have possibly saved a few points by saying nothing and potentially having to match a (slightly) lower bid? Or was it all but guaranteed he'd go #1 anyway?

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
By us saying we will match any offer, doesn't it guarantee that North will pick him at #1? Couldn't we have possibly saved a few points by saying nothing and potentially having to match a (slightly) lower bid? Or was it all but guaranteed he'd go #1 anyway?
Saying nothing is no guarantee - clubs aren't dumb.

Besides that Nick is prime talent and worthy of #1 pick so no club will be afraid to pull the trigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t think the Dogs would match any offer for Darcy?

I suspect that it makes no difference as everyone knows we are picking him regardless. It takes all doubt away so it may work in our favour as clubs know that they won’t get him.

At the end of the day I reckon it makes no difference at all. Clubs aren’t letting us get a rare talent for stuff all.

I think you are really underselling how good Didak actually was.

Absolute gun.
Agree

Daics was on another level buts Dids was a star. Sure we all hope Nick will be as good and hopefully better than Dids but it’s a good starting point. If ND can reach that level I would take it as success.

He doesn’t automatically start ahead of Dids , to think that just raises expectation too much

But you wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Buckley would you...
Daics makes the top 10 players I have seen at Collingwood but he isn’t at Bucks level or Pendles.

Mark W

All Australian
Sep 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daics makes the top 10 players I have seen at Collingwood but he isn’t at Bucks level or Pendles.
Strongly disagree with that. Perhaps he didnt have the relentless consistency of the other two, but his best was at a level higher than either Bucks of Pendles. As a midfielder, he was very good, highly skilled. As a small/medium forward he is peerless, arguably the best of all time, definitely in the best handful.

Strongly disagree with that. Perhaps he didnt have the relentless consistency of the other two, but his best was at a level higher than either Bucks of Pendles. As a midfielder, he was very good, highly skilled. As a small/medium forward he is peerless, arguably the best of all time, definitely in the best handful.
Pendles and Bucks were better at influencing games. We are talking about superstars and players who rate right at the top of Collingwood greatest ever.

Daics was never in the top 1-3 players in the comp through his time. Bucks spent most of his time there. Daics did the unbelievable better than the other two.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Total disagreement, only John Greening comes in front of Daics.

The man changed the way the game is played.

He invented an entirely new method of shooting for goal.

Have never seen anyone with the level of poise or reading the game ahead of the play.

No much as I love Pendles and Bucks Daics left them in the dust.

PS If you haven't watched the young Daics OWN the centre field you haven't seen the real Daics.

Don't take my word for it watch any footage of his early games and pay attention to the coaches boxes, every time he went near the ball they started pulling their hair out by the roots.

Pendles and Bucks are and will always be genuine champions.

Daics was on a far different level.

Total disagreement, only John Greening comes in front of Daics.

The man changed the way the game is played.

He invented an entirely new method of shooting for goal.

Have never seen anyone with the level of poise or reading the game ahead of the play.

No much as I love Pendles and Bucks Daics left them in the dust.

PS If you haven't watched the young Daics OWN the centre field you haven't seen the real Daics.

Don't take my word for it watch any footage of his early games and pay attention to the coaches boxes, every time he went near the ball they started pulling their hair out by the roots.

Pendles and Bucks are and will always be genuine champions.

Daics was on a far different level.
I saw him play a lot. Spectacular and bought joy like few others ever have. He wasn’t as good a footballer as Bucks and Pendles. Agree Greening better. Also would have Thompson, Swan and McKenna ahead of Daics.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I saw him play a lot. Spectacular and bought joy like few others ever have. He wasn’t as good a footballer as Bucks and Pendles. Agree Greening better. Also would have Thompson, Swan and McKenna ahead of Daics.
We aren't going to agree on this topic.

I'm not talking about mechanics or physique or even athleticism I'm talking about a player that simply cannot be stopped when at his peak he could and often did tear teams apart.

Anyway let's let it rest.

Pendles and Bucks were better at influencing games. We are talking about superstars and players who rate right at the top of Collingwood greatest ever.

Daics was never in the top 1-3 players in the comp through his time. Bucks spent most of his time there. Daics did the unbelievable better than the other two.
When was the last time you saw a Collingwood player kick 13 goals in one game?
Or even more than 10?

Not sure if it has been mentioned but is coming on a 4yr deal apparently as per Cal Twomey
Yup, that was mentioned in the article last week on the afl site. Even Nick mentioned it in his insta post. So his original 2 year draftee contract + an extra 2 years on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back