Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires are greatly respected in Cricket & Tennis (with the odd exception), Rugby referees are also treated with respect.
However Aussie Rules umpires have been the sworn enemy for generations.
What is it with our sport?
Someone has to do a paper on this…

The single biggest issue in the game, in my opinion, is that we simply do not know from one week to the next how rules will be interpreted by the umpires. This is compounded by the fact that the interpretation often changes during the course of the game (how many times have you heard commentators state "the umps have swallowed the whistle" in the dying minutes of any game) and, equally as often, from one end of the ground to the other. Until these inconsistencies are eliminated (or significantly reduced) the game will always be subject to claims of bias or favoritism.

Umpires are greatly respected in Cricket & Tennis (with the odd exception), Rugby referees are also treated with respect.
However Aussie Rules umpires have been the sworn enemy for generations.
What is it with our sport?
Someone has to do a paper on this…
No paper needed - the AFL use the rule book to rig games as much as they can.

Why else do you imagine umpires are 'coached' at half time???

For coaching read fixing.

They have it in for Jack Ginnivan. Even people who don't support Collingwood have said that.

The single biggest issue in the game, in my opinion, is that we simply do not know from one week to the next how rules will be interpreted by the umpires. This is compounded by the fact that the interpretation often changes during the course of the game (how many times have you heard commentators state "the umps have swallowed the whistle" in the dying minutes of any game) and, equally as often, from one end of the ground to the other. Until these inconsistencies are eliminated (or significantly reduced) the game will always be subject to claims of bias or favoritism.
The clubs know the interpretations. The problem is with the AFL not communicating them well to the public AND the worst of the lot, the commentators having no idea what the rules actually are so are always giving the wrong impression to the viewers. It's actually incompetent from the broadcasters. They should have an ump in the booth to give his interpretation when there are disputed decisions (but not talk otherwise!)

The clubs know the interpretations. The problem is with the AFL not communicating them well to the public AND the worst of the lot, the commentators having no idea what the rules actually are so are always giving the wrong impression to the viewers. It's actually incompetent from the broadcasters. They should have an ump in the booth to give his interpretation when there are disputed decisions (but not talk otherwise!)
Like the old 'What's your decision' segment but in real time. Perhaps they can also explain the swallowing of the whistle when the whips are cracking in the last few minutes of a tight game. That scenario is almost ubiquitous.
The most infuriating thing I find is the acknowledgement - usually days later - that an incorrect decision was in fact made during the match. Of course, this is always too little, too late. The umpires have 'decided' games before with their calls. We can only hope that the result of a Grand Final is never because of them...

Like the old 'What's your decision' segment but in real time. Perhaps they can also explain the swallowing of the whistle when the whips are cracking in the last few minutes of a tight game. That scenario is almost ubiquitous.
The most infuriating thing I find is the acknowledgement - usually days later - that an incorrect decision was in fact made during the match. Of course, this is always too little, too late. The umpires have 'decided' games before with their calls. We can only hope that the result of a Grand Final is never because of them...

No calls are just as bad as bad calls. You can rape someone on field in the last minute or so and not give away a free if in the forward line. I hate it

1Dzr.gif

It's starting to make sense. We were down at half time on Friday. Umps got their coaching. We win.

Not sure how that aligns with the AFL conspiracy against Collingwood? Maybe it is to help us make it to the Grand Final so they can make us lose again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rules should be black and white. That is, NO INTERPRETATION! As long as theres interpretation, fans will forever be frustrated.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Every time a player tackles Ginnivan, he automatically receives a free kick…it’s bloody easy!

JHF comes across as a kid with a poor attitude and somewhat of a “spoilt” attitude. Needs a good kick up the ass IMO, or he will end up like watts. I don’t buy into the fact he’s at north as an excuse. No 1 picks go to clubs on the bottom in disarray. No excuse for his attitude on the field that I’ve seen. Light years from the professionalism of daicos. Given his attitude I don’t blame north for dropping him.

Yeah my take was that he took the mark and then advanced and was off. I was not surprised in the least when he was tackled and thought the decision made was correct and obvious.

There were many other occasions I thought Melbourne players “wrapped up” our boys after a mark where they weren’t involved in the contest, and should have been slapped with a 50m for delaying the game.

He stepped forward on one leg and stopped, didn't move off his line so it's not play on.
Melbourne player was in protected zone so should of been 50m as he's not meant to come in from behind ND to man the mark.

Thanks for posting that. I was hoping to see a replay and see if my eyes had deceived me at the ground.

Now with a proper review they didn’t! He was clearly tackled before the umpire had called play on and a 50m penalty was what should have been called. Why didn’t the commentators jump straight on it?

Cause the commentators didn't bring up any of the things Melbourne were doing, like the numerous one armed grid iron throws whilst being tackled that resulted in scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back