Nostradamus Lives Nick Dal Santo to Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not claiming to be exhaustive, I've looked at some trades of senior players over 29 years of age since 2002:

2010 - Tarrant(30 at age of trade) from Freo to Collingwood for picks 44 and 56
2009 - Barry Hall (31) from Sydney to the Dogs for pick 47
2007 - Steven King (29) from Geelong to St Kilda for a 6th round pick
2006 - Akermanis (29) from Brisbane to the the Dogs for pick 34
2003 - Corey McKernon (29) from Carton to NM for David Teague and Digby Morrell
2002 - Carey (31) from NM to Adelaide for picks 2 and 18 ( that one worked out:thumbsu:)
2002 - Ronnie Burns (29) from Geelong to Adelaide for Ben Finnin.

Delaney and a 3rd is ample.

Yep NDS is closest to Aker on this list in terms of ability and years remaining (not personality).

Delaney could be a 8-year second key defender. I'd say Delaney and a 3rd is just about too much.

While not claiming to be exhaustive, I've looked at some trades of senior players over 29 years of age since 2002:

2010 - Tarrant(30 at age of trade) from Freo to Collingwood for picks 44 and 56
2009 - Barry Hall (31) from Sydney to the Dogs for pick 47
2007 - Steven King (29) from Geelong to St Kilda for a 6th round pick
2006 - Akermanis (29) from Brisbane to the the Dogs for pick 34
2003 - Corey McKernon (29) from Carton to NM for David Teague and Digby Morrell
2002 - Carey (31) from NM to Adelaide for picks 2 and 18 ( that one worked out:thumbsu:)
2002 - Ronnie Burns (29) from Geelong to Adelaide for Ben Finnin.

Delaney and a 3rd is ample.

Yep NDS is closest to Aker on this list in terms of ability and years remaining (not personality).

Delaney could be a 8-year second key defender. I'd say Delaney and a 3rd is just about too much.

Tell me how many players on that list would of played the following year for that club?
All were shown the door and would of been delisted anyway if not traded.
Terrible comparison to Dal Santo really.

Too say an un-contracted player that we could get in the pre-season draft for nothing and a 3rd pick for Dal is laughable, we've already got Bruce from GWS requesting a trade to us so Delaney isn't even needed if he is actually any good at all.

Wonder what you'd expect for Brent Harvey at 29?
You'd be crazy to sell players that embody your colours for such a low price... we'll be getting many draft picks every year from 10 to 40 during each of Dals remaining seasons.

I'd trade Dal and pick 20/21/22 (whatever we end up with) for a top 12 pick and no less.

I'm a bit surprised North Melbourne supporters don't seem to think much of Dal. If you seriously are only going to offer a young player and a third round pick for a 250+ game champion, we will laugh in your face and deal with one of the several other clubs that has shown interest.

There are plenty of big and strong young back men, but mid fielders of Dals quality and experience aren't exactly common.

Tell me how many players on that list would of played the following year for that club?
All were shown the door and would of been delisted anyway if not traded.
Terrible comparison to Dal Santo really.

Too say an un-contracted player that we could get in the pre-season draft for nothing and a 3rd pick for Dal is laughable, we've already got Bruce from GWS requesting a trade to us so Delaney isn't even needed if he is actually any good at all.

Wonder what you'd expect for Brent Harvey at 29?
You'd be crazy to sell players that embody your colours for such a low price... we'll be getting many draft picks every year from 10 to 40 during each of Dals remaining seasons.

I'd trade Dal and pick 20/21/22 (whatever we end up with) for a top 12 pick and no less.

As I said earlier , people have the habit of overrating the value of the players at their own club.

Here is perhaps an interesting stat for each of the 7 players named above.

The numbers of games played for the club that traded for them are:

Akermanis WB - 77
Tarrant (Coll) - 35
Hall (WB) - 39
King - St Kilda - 47
McKernan - NM (second time) - 14
Carey- Adelaide - 28
Burns - Adelaide - 20

Only one of the 7 played over 50 games and only 4 of the 7 played over 35 games.

If anyone wants Dal Santo for a first round pick, they can have him.

St. Kilda won't get a 1st Rounder for him.

He probably only has 2 years left in him.

St. Kilda would be better served taking a second rounder for him or an upgrade as opposed to having him for 2 years and then having him retire in a period where St. Kilda are rebuilding.
Hes got more then 2 years left in him - are you kidding.

He's 29 and been an outside mid with minimal to no injuries - id say minimum 4.

Hes got more then 2 years left in him - are you kidding.

He's 29 and been an outside mid with minimal to no injuries - id say minimum 4.

He'll be 30 before the start of next season.

As I said earlier , people have the habit of overrating the value of the players at their own club.

Here is perhaps an interesting stat for each of the 7 players named above.

The numbers of games played for the club that traded for them are:

Akermanis WB - 77
Tarrant (Coll) - 35
Hall (WB) - 39
King - St Kilda - 47
McKernan - NM (second time) - 14
Carey- Adelaide - 28
Burns - Adelaide - 20

Only one of the 7 played over 50 games and only 4 of the 7 played over 35 games.

If anyone wants Dal Santo for a first round pick, they can have him.

None of those players would of played for the club they were traded from again, they were pushed out the door for one reason or another devaluing their currency, I'm surprised that the Bulldogs paid anything for Aker as he was virtually sacked... you got pick 2 for Carey at 31!, Hall was virtually sacked and so was Carey anyway, King, McKernan were finished.
Age isn't really the main factor for determining the length of a players career, injuries are... can anyone name when Dal has ever been injured?
He's pretty durable, no reason why he wont play 'til 33-34 and play well... Lenny is already there and is a player who struggles with his body... I bet you got more than 50 games from Brent Harvey since 29.

None of those players would of played for the club they were traded from again, they were pushed out the door for one reason or another devaluing their currency, I'm surprised that the Bulldogs paid anything for Aker as he was virtually sacked... you got pick 2 for Carey at 31!, Hall was virtually sacked and so was Carey anyway, King, McKernan were finished.
Age isn't really the main factor for determining the length of a players career, injuries are... can anyone name when Dal has ever been injured?
He's pretty durable, no reason why he wont play 'til 33-34 and play well... Lenny is already there and is a player who struggles with his body... I bet you got more than 50 games from Brent Harvey since 29.

Look if the Saints can get a first rounder for Dal:thumbsu:. I'd encourage the Saints to explore the opportunity. I personally wouldn't give up more than Delaney and a third rounder for him.

It will all come out in the wash so I'm not particularly fussed about over or under rating Dal.

All I know is that for a team challenging, he could be a significant piece to a premiership puzzle. Most of us would give up a pick between 12-20 if it meant as chance to win a flag in the next 2-3 years.

St Kilda hold the cards as he has a contract for 2014. If another team rates him high enough to tempt Pelchen then the trade might happen. Otherwise he'll remain a Saint & probably play out his career as a 300 gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think dal manager has told him just to say he wants to stay a saint to keep the media away untill trade week as being 30 looking for a flag and wanting to give the saints a good pick or younger players back for a thankyou gift!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many have been suggesting in the media that playing-wise North were close to a top 4 quality team this year and that it was just the close losses that cost them in a big way and from memory their draw was rated the 2nd hardest in the comp this year, so you can see why they might be really keen on Dal and someone like Betts.

Now that they've missed the finals this year they're going to get a much easier draw next year (they'll likely go from 2nd hardest to one of the 10 easiest) and they can expect continued improvement from the younger members of their midfield (Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, etc) and from the likes of Atley (who I'd expect to be a lot better next year, after a bit of a disappointing year this year) and Black and for their team to improve on the whole as they improve and refine the game-plan even more.

If they were then able to add Dal Santo, Betts and Luke McDonald (who could make an immediate impact, like say Crouch and Wines did for their respective teams this year) they could instantly make them a goals better team per game and give them a very strong chance of a top 4 (or at minimum top-6) finish next year.

Many have been suggesting in the media that playing-wise North were close to a top 4 quality team this year and that it was just the close losses that cost them in a big way and from memory their draw was rated the 2nd hardest in the comp this year, so you can see why they might be really keen on Dal and someone like Betts.

Now that they've missed the finals this year they're going to get a much easier draw next year (they'll likely go from 2nd hardest to one of the 10 easiest) and they can expect continued improvement from the younger members of their midfield (Cunnington, Ziebell, Bastinac, etc) and from the likes of Atley (who I'd expect to be a lot better next year, after a bit of a disappointing year this year) and Black and for their team to improve on the whole as they improve and refine the game-plan even more.

If they were then able to add Dal Santo, Betts and Luke McDonald (who could make an immediate impact, like say Crouch and Wines did for their respective teams this year) they could instantly make them a goals better team per game and give them a very strong chance of a top 4 (or at minimum top-6) finish next year.
it's a matter of degrees but north would be better served taking 2 goals off the opposition rather than adding 2 goals themselves, I don't know much about McDonald but the other 2 aren't going to bring any defensive steel to a team lacking in that area already.

But you haven't, and fact is your two best players are almost through.

How many finals have you made in the past few years with this current list? One?

And you're almost getting to the point a rebuild is needed.

No need for the aggressive post attacking Richmond, mine had nothing to do with Richmond.

Just giving my opinion on your club.

Cheers.
Rebuild? I guess you and your club would know all about rebuilding with the huge number of top 10 draft picks. We have more talent in our little finger than your sorry club does which is like I said, evident by our record Vs Richmond. Lists change every single year with trades, delistings, retirements etc. If I wanted an opinion from a D grade club, I and all North fans would ask

Rebuild? I guess you and your club would know all about rebuilding with the huge number of top 10 draft picks. We have more talent in our little finger than your sorry club does which is like I said, evident by our record Vs Richmond. Lists change every single year with trades, delistings, retirements etc. If I wanted an opinion from a D grade club, I and all North fans would ask
I know of one particular club that is A grade in front running, downhill skiing and flat track bullying.;) More talent on our little finger.:confused: Delusional.

Coming from someone who barracks for a team who took 12 years to make 1 single final had a piss easy draw this year and hasn't won a flag for 33 years is a bit rich. North Melbourne flog your team on the field and hold a good record VS Richmond. Our game plan can beat anyone at anytime and when we get it right on a very, very consistent basis, lord almighty the rest of the comp better watch out

Agreed.

He's not a difference maker. He wouldn't put North into the top 4 or anything like that. Massively overrated outside front runner with decent skills.

But you haven't, and fact is your two best players are almost through.

How many finals have you made in the past few years with this current list? One?
The same as your team......and apart from Gysberts no games and Jacobs (handful of games).

And you're almost getting to the point a rebuild is needed.
Say what??

No need for the aggressive post attacking Richmond, mine had nothing to do with Richmond.

Just giving my opinion on your club.

Cheers.

I know of one particular club that is A grade in front running, downhill skiing and flat track bullying.;) More talent on our little finger.:confused: Delusional.

You barrack for St Kilda!!!! They are 10 times worse than Richmond! How's only having 1 flag in close to 50 years? Have fun sitting near the bottom for the next 5-8 years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back