Past Nick Hayes (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookies Sam Michael and Nick Hayes were the exceptions however, with both representing Queensland/NT in the NEAFL’s 82-point loss to the SANFL in Adelaide. Reserves Coach Leigh Harding still hasn’t seen the entire State match, but has been pleased with the feedback he’s received on the two Lions players. “I’ve heard Hayesy was quite good.”

Rookies on the rise
7 June 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions recruiting team saw enough in Jordon Bourke and Nick Hayes to suggest both could be valuable long-term prospects for the Club. Hayes, in particular, arrived as raw talent who had spent most of his time playing school football in country South Australia, while Bourke was fresh from a modest campaign with Queensland in the 2012 U18 National Championship.

But their abilities were undeniable and it was believed that with the right development, they could be shaped into future AFL players. Six months into their debut season with the Lions, and the Club couldn’t be happier with their progress.

“Hayes was played forward early, before we threw him into the midfield where he probably got under the guard a little bit of the opposition,” Harding said. “In the last couple of weeks, we’ve put him across half-back. It’s been a new challenge and he’s proven that he’s up to it. He’s beginning to show that he can play anywhere on the ground.”

Both were selected in last month’s NEAFL State squad to face the SANFL in Adelaide.

Where are your club's rookies at?

Nick Hayes

Another first-year rookie to impress, South Australian Hayes has lots to like. Well regarded at the club after a good first half of the year in the twos, the 19-year-old is a clever, hard-working midfielder who has a nose for the goals. A foot injury hampered the back half of his season, but will get another chance.

Your club's next big thing

Nick Hayes
The 18-year-old South Australian was taken by the Lions in the rookie draft last year and made a big impression with his season in the NEAFL. He came as a medium-sized forward with good hands, but spent plenty of time in the midfield and looks the in-and-under type the club is hoping to develop. He's still a rookie and needs an upgrade to get a chance, but Hayes is courageous and particularly good with his hands and might be the perfect understudy to the ageing Simon Black and Brent Moloney. - Michael Whiting

Would be great for him to progress similar to Beams before his ACL. He's already played a few games with Black as well.

I thought Hayes was fantastic against the Swans in the NEAFL cross conference final. Intuitive, great hands and efficient kicks. Really looking forward to seeing how he comes along next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was
With Blacks retirement (Sad face :( ) Hayes may get a chance to show his wares at AFL level next year.

Was on holiday over the September break and was going for a jog (plod) and I swear he ran passed (with another bloke). He certainly wasn't plodding.

I don't think "dashing" is a word that immediately springs to mind wrt Nick.

I dunno 'bout you but I think he's a bit of a looker ;)

with black's retirement what's the odds of nick hayes being elevated to the senior list ... apparantly has all the potential

Sad to see him go, genuinely thought he was going to grow into a gun at the Lions. Will probably do it elsewhere.

Sad to see him go, genuinely thought he was going to grow into a gun at the Lions. Will probably do it elsewhere.
I know it is unlikely he will stay, but where did you see he is going? Are you assuming because Bourke got the upgrade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back