Prediction NICK LARKEY goal kicking competition 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez thank God I don’t gamble for real.

Apparently I was bookies’ favourite in Round 5 (Larks had 14 goals). Souva then only manages 10 goals in the next 12 rounds. Even with his big haul on the weekend I clearly need him to turn into Tony Lockett in the next two weeks.

Well he's currently 36.18 I missed it of course I had him for only four yesterday and didn't realise the Eagles would all have death flu.

So when adjusted for the covid I'm really 39.18 for the year. I did though pick he wouldn't kick another behind for the season. 7.0 straight was a good get by me.

Please amend my total- thanks in advance :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larks will remain a sub-40 goal a game forward until we trade for or develop a genuine CHF threat to play along side him.

Despite the s**t dropped on the Scott era, we had an excellent forward system because the recruitment and development staff created overlap with:

• an existing gun player (Petrie)
  • a developing young gun (Brown)
  • a recruited mobile gun (Waite)

All three were mobile and could create space.

We currently have Chom but he is at least another season from providing any sort of real structural support.

We should be recruiting and developing another mobile key forward over the next 2 years.

In 2 years, our midfield will be hitting their prime. If we don’t have the forward structure sorted, then we will have squandered any midfield edge we have.

Larks will remain a sub-40 goal a game forward until we trade for or develop a genuine CHF threat to play along side him.

Despite the s**t dropped on the Scott era, we had an excellent forward system because the recruitment and development staff created overlap with:

• an existing gun player (Petrie)
  • a developing young gun (Brown)
  • a recruited mobile gun (Waite)

All three were mobile and could create space.

We currently have Chom but he is at least another season from providing any sort of real structural support.

We should be recruiting and developing another mobile key forward over the next 2 years.

In 2 years, our midfield will be hitting their prime. If we don’t have the forward structure sorted, then we will have squandered any midfield edge we have.

It’s a great discussion

And for me, Larkey is clearly not a No 1 KPF. Not that he isn’t a good afl player, that should be able to be very good with a better team and more importantly a genuine KPF partner for him.

Interestingly he averaged the same goals this year as last year. 1.9 goals per game. This year I’d argue was way harder for him than last year.

It might be a year too early for Comben to provide real structural support for Larks next year, but it will still make Larkeys job a lot easier if we got 15 plus games out of Comben next year.

It’s a great discussion

And for me, Larkey is clearly not a No 1 KPF. Not that he isn’t a good afl player, that should be able to be very good with a better team and more importantly a genuine KPF partner for him.

Interestingly he averaged the same goals this year as last year. 1.9 goals per game. This year I’d argue was way harder for him than last year.

It might be a year too early for Comben to provide real structural support for Larks next year, but it will still make Larkeys job a lot easier if we got 15 plus games out of Comben next year.
There’s also the issue of him being unable to kick further than 45m.

Yeah, 45 is his max.

Anything further than that, just doesn’t make it.
This is the same for most of our players. Either that or the players are instructed to always find a shorter option.

This works when you have a culture of smart football and good delivery by foot, but I can’t help but think that we would have more of a chance having a shot from 40-50 metres out.

This happened a few times yesterday and we didn’t even register a score.

It’s depressing thinking of the 90s with Carey, Corey, Winnie, Scholl, King, Pickett and Grant all very capable of kicking 50 metres plus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back