• 1 week

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • 3+ weeks

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the lowest IQ plays I've seen from a player in my time watching, kinda similar to the Gaff punch IMO except there was no serious damage done.

The more I look at that, the more disappointed I am at the individual

A game of footy is risky and the risk of serious injury, possibly death, is real if the spirit of the game is not respected. Be it tunnelling, reckless bumps to the head or neck, knees into the kidney or spine etc etc

The AFL can't afford to keep "workers" in the "workplace" who don't respect the risks.

Indefinite Ban until completing workplace safety and minimum 6 months

Tunnelling is pretty much the most dangerous thing a player can do. And it should be 2 weeks regardless of the impact. But there was no damage so it will probably be a fine.

If the AFL bothers giving it a week then it will be appealed and the Tribunal will knock it down to a fine anyway because they dont care what rules the AFL sets they only care about how much damage was done.

One of the lowest IQ plays I've seen from a player in my time watching, kinda similar to the Gaff punch IMO except there was no
One of the lowest IQ plays I've seen from a player in my time watching, kinda similar to the Gaff punch IMO except there was no serious damage done.
You seem like the only genuine North supporter in this thread.
But this is much worse than Gaff which was clearly an accident albeit the damage was serious.
This is the most blatant, on purpose dangerous act I’ve seen in the AFL for a long time.

The more you watch it the worse it gets as you can see the frustration on his face moments before he tunnels Young.

Just a total deliberate weak dog act with the potential to do some serious damage. Interesting to see what the AFL do and treat acts like this.

Average play is putting this very lightly. It was a dog act that has no place in our game and has the potential to cause a very serious injury.

Knew exactly what he was doing too. Was not an accident.

Should go straight to the tribunal if the AFL are serious, but given how frequently they misjudge incidents I'm guessing it'll be a fine or a warning only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem like the only genuine North supporter in this thread.
But this is much worse than Gaff which was clearly an accident albeit the damage was serious.
This is the most blatant, on purpose dangerous act I’ve seen in the AFL for a long time.
An accident? Wow 🤣

Larkey should get 2 into 1 with a plea. But can see him getting a fine

Yeah not a good look.

Unfortunately I've noticed over the last year or so that it's happening more and more (maybe not to the extent of this incident), players "cleverly" making sure contact comes below the midline resulting in their opponents legs kicking out. Don't like it, and it rarely gets called by umpires for what it is.

This warrants a send straight to the tribunal, as the matrix won't assess it correctly.

It's these exact types or incidents that the send to the tribunal should be for.

Luckily, this doesn't happen often in the AFL, this is different to trying to edge someone under the ball tunelling, it's a complete frustration hit with no focus on the ball or play.

Send it, give it a few weeks, and doubt we see it happen again.

Extremely poor from Larkey, not what you want to see.

Will be interesting to see how it's interpreted under the match review guidelines.

I'm a big believer of suspending based on intent rather than outcome. Now obviously it's impossible to do that consistently, but in a situation like this one where Larkey is irrefutably attempting to hurt or put the Carlton player in a dangerous situation, it has to be punished. I still play local footy and have been tunnelled multiple times in my life. It's one of the scarier moments you can have, and I once broke my wrist as a result of one instance.

Larkey was clearly not going for the ball, and waited for his opponent to jump before engaging in conduct. A duty of care must be owed in this instance.

2-4 weeks for me. Very lucky no injury resulted.

Back