Nick Maxwell - Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

So Foxtel decided to use the pulling power of a CFC premiership captain to advertise every show on their network....lol...who would've thought the media would use CFC to manipulate and make money for themselves?

And then we get to the interview....and all Mike wants to know about is the Malthouse / Buckley handover.
Boring Mike, Maxy was all class and handled the inane old stirrer with aplomb. But why didn't he give us some perspective about what Maxy's work within the club is all about?

Bob interviewing Nat Fyfe was much more fun!

Scarlett lol.

Someone who has never heard of him before would say he is a below average human being, just be looking at his face on a picture.

They didn't like that he was compared to Tom Harley for some reason.

In what way was Harley better than Maxwell? I would never take Harley over Maxwell.

Too many sleepless nights and sessions with his former coach has absolutely fried Scarlett's little brain he once had.

Come on you lot. Has been mentioned he's doing his coaching course numerous times this year on the Jock and Journo pod :p
Never listened to it, should I? I've been avoiding it because I subscribe to more podcasts than I have time to listen to :D

F@rk Bartel.
Maxy was a Geelong supporter.
Came up through the Geelong feeder team.
Wasn’t selected by Geelong, or any of the other 17 clubs.
We ROOKIED him.
Took a punt.
And he did the work. Actually exceeded our, and the entire AFL’s expectations.
Never the classiest of players.
But a leader. Given the number worn by arguably the best Collingwood player of the modern era.
F@rk Bartel.
He is a flea on the dog that is Geelong Football Club.

Wrong target here... Bartel is an OK guy. It's Scarlett you should be unloading on...

Fairly predictable questions. Not much about what Maxy currently does, or aims to do in the future. Limited insight into his role at the club. Maxy himself was a bit cagey about that.

Lots of questions, or journalistic ‘prying’ about the coaching succession. This topic pretty much induces a catatonic state in me nowadays. Yawn. So 2012.

And here comes a question about the Rat Pack. Another yawn stifled.

Maybe Maxy, being the straight and upright person that he is, doesn’t make for interesting viewing? Although you could see him struggling with his emotions when questioned about the drawn grand final. No yawning from me then.

Last edited:
Did they discuss anything about the current side? What was said?

I dont recall questions about current players. A little about Maxy's match day role when he sits on the bench and 'filters' the messages to players, coming down from the coach. One insight there - in the heat of the game he doesn't always pass on the message, or not immediately anyway. He has that discretion.

I dont recall questions about current players. A little about Maxy's match day role when he sits on the bench and 'filters' the messages to players, coming down from the coach. One insight there - in the heat of the game he doesn't always pass on the message, or not immediately anyway. He has that discretion.

That's really interesting. It seems to me he's the communicator. He tells the message but in a way and at a time it's constructive. That's an interesting insight.

I found it quite boring to be honest.. only thing that I found interesting was when he made his way back to the Lexus Centre or whatever the f it was called back then.. in a really shitty down mood after the first gf.. and he saw Lockyer and Ballbag in the gym on the treadmills.. at that point Maxwell thought.. f this.. we've got another chance at this.. ain't gonna f let it slip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy and Bucks should have a Skype session with Jurgen Klopp. The master at uniting a city.. a team.. and giving players free reign to express themselves on the pitch.. this bloke's game style is ultra aggressive and balistic.. bit like ours.

Get some ideas from the great man.

The true measure of a coach is to overachieve with an average/good side.. he's always managed to do that.

Maxy and Bucks should have a Skype session with Jurgen Klopp. The master at uniting a city.. a team.. and giving players free reign to express themselves on the pitch.. this bloke's game style is ultra aggressive and balistic.. bit like ours.

Get some ideas from the great man.

The true measure of a coach is to overachieve with an average/good side.. he's always managed to do that.

No thanks.

I'd like Collingwood to win stuff. Klopp is a maniac who plays one way and has no plan b. It looks good, but it won't win anything for Liverpool.

Success comes from having a style that works most of the time, but having the versatility to quickly change things which aren't working. Alex Ferguson had that, Clarkson has that.

We've regularly been able to arrest form spurts from opposition within games this year, so I think we can do that. Last season, those bursts should last whole quarters and we'd lose.

Last edited:

I didn't see it but this is the most interesting comment in here. Shows how far Bucks has come as a coach and a leader.
We're going places.

No thanks.

I'd like Collingwood to win stuff. Klopp is a maniac who plays one way and has no plan b. It looks good, but it won't win anything for Liverpool.

Success comes from having a style that works most of the time, but having the versatility to quickly change things which aren't working. Alex Ferguson had that, Clarkson has that.

We've regularly been able to arrest form spurts from opposition within games this year, so I think we can do that. Last season, those bursts should last whole quarters and we'd lose.

Are you telling me there's nothing to gain from having a session with Klopp? It's not about implementing every single one of his ideas.. it's ideas that you can relate to.

Klopps results speak for themselves. Brilliant mind and coach. His players give him 110%.

If we're getting ideas from Belamy.. why not Klopp.. he's absolute world class.. world class players are banging on his door for a chance to play under him.

I didn't see it but this is the most interesting comment in here. Shows how far Bucks has come as a coach and a leader.
We're going places.
Until you read today’s headlines...”Bucks sacks Maxy”
Coach of Collingwood, Nathan Buckley this morning sacked Nick Maxwell after discovering that half of his instructions were not being passed on to players verbatim or were being delayed during matches.

3/5. I would not recommend watching it other than the fact he's Collingwood royalty. It wasn't as hard hitting as some of his previous interviewees and he stalled when mentioning Mick/Ed/Bucks contract arrangement, he could have been more honest if he wasn't entrusted to keep his thoughts private, and for as long as he remains employed.

I did get the impression about Maxwell's career at Collingwood was not as fruitful as he would have liked. The fact he could have won 2 premierships as captain will always labour in his mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back