WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Gotcha,thanks and agreed.

I'm not convinced he couldn't improve in those areas given a licence to hunt ball instead of man though. Seems like a very honest player who would try to play his role as close to textbook as possible.
He does seem quite bouncy and quick to react in certain situations though and whenlock down KPDs aren't really known for their slick hand skills or reflex decision making as they are usually more concerned with the player than the ball or rebound.

All I can say is nothing ventured nothing gained with Murray.

This is precisely the issue with Murray. He’s an old school type KPD, like Butts, who wouldn’t have looked out of place in the 80’s. A modern day KPD though has to have some ground ball skills and ability to clunk marks, not just spoil constantly. A big area of his game he needs to improve on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's all he's been tested with sofar.

3 minutes in our forward line and he takes Mark of the year.

1 minute worth of CBA and he pulls off 2 of the best hit outs to his own advantage we have seen since the arrival of NicNat.

Agree to disagree, but I think the kid is a footy Savant dressed in Yokel clothing.

All this crash and bash maiming of players is just him acting out in frustration at being played in defence I reckon.

I doubt it. I think it's just who Murray is as a footballer. One of those types that doesn't have an off-switch and will got 100% at everything.

A lot of rough edges to iron out, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a very high ceiling with Murray as a key defender. He certainly brings a lot to the table already.

This is precisely the issue with Murray. He’s an old school type KPD, like Butts, who wouldn’t have looked out of place in the 80’s. A modern day KPD though has to have some ground ball skills and ability to clunk marks, not just spoil constantly. A big area of his game he needs to improve on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Murray has what 2-3 MOTY contenders already in his short career? Seems like marking is something that'll come in the next year or two as he gets fitter/stronger/more confident.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was a time I thought we were just waiting out Murray's tenure with us until someone better comes along.

I no longer feel that way!

Now I just wish we had 2 Murray's. He's the kind of defender that win or lose, the forward is coming off the ground feeling like a train hit them.

And Nick's not losing too often these days.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what Vic teams are in desperate need of a quality key defender? I just want to get ahead of the Vic media speculation about who the Vic teams should be targeting in the off season.

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
So what Vic teams are in desperate need of a quality key defender? I just want to get ahead of the Vic media speculation about who the Vic teams should be targeting in the off season.

Honestly, most teams need a quality key defender right now. Bit of a scarcity across the whole league. Melbourne are OK, struggling to think of many others.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Honestly, most teams need a quality key defender right now. Bit of a scarcity across the whole league. Melbourne are OK, struggling to think of many others.
I reckon we could find a spot for Harris Andrews just quietly?

I think list management think we are OK with Murray and Butts and now Keane on the books as well. Borlase isn't hopeless and has been quietly building in the SANFL over the last year and a bit. Lacks a bit of pace but does most things well enough.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Feel like he's really learned how to use his body and strength as a skill, not just as a weapon if you know what I mean. Not just flinging his body into a contest to spoil, but really learning positioning, and how to move his opponent legally to give himself the best angles to attack the ball in a contest.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Feel like he's really learned how to use his body and strength as a skill, not just as a weapon if you know what I mean. Not just flinging his body into a contest to spoil, but really learning positioning, and how to move his opponent legally to give himself the best angles to attack the ball in a contest.
And he is still young so hopefully will have many years ahead with us

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kicking was the area he really needed to tidy and he's doing that. Still flinch sometimes when he kicks close to the boundary :). 1v1 very good

Happy to back Butts as well as you don't just lose ability. If not we have Keane coming through and Worrell who can play as kpd. All of a sudden looking okay for kpd.
which if the rumors are true, is why we have targeted Redman from Essendon as that tough as nails topline rebounding defender as a RFA this year rather than hearing anything about going after any FA KPP's

He's bulked up a bit which seems to be helping him. He's listed at 100kg now and is a very strong lad.

Nice bit of list management to get him signed up early too.

Back