Opinion Nick Reiwoldt - The Flawed Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

A kooky, fearless good bloke. Out and out champion? yeah nah. He ticked most of the boxes but not all. Couldn't trust him when the pressure really came on. Loved his heart and gutsy approach. But was he a Hodge like general when it mattered the most?. No.

Sit down at the pub and have a beer? Most definitely.
The guy single handily got us over the line in the two prelims vs the dogs when the pressure was on he was ok in the grand finals but how many key forwards have big grand finals except for ablett in 89 I mean even Carey and franklin have been average in grand finals does that mean you don’t rate them ?

No we had a good midfield that Brisbane team had one of the all time great midfields though akermanes Voss black lapin he all so had a good experienced ff in Lynch playing next to him which side would you have preferred to play in ?
So are you saying Riewoldt would have been a better player in Brisbanes team and Brown worse in St.Kildas?

And you may want to check on Lynch, before he went to Brisbane, he was a full back.

Lynch was fullback in the early part of his career at Fitzroy and the first season or so at Brisbane the majority of his time at Brisbane was full forward he was a very good well established forward buy time brown came to them and yes most players would have been better playing in those Brisbane teams

Lynch was fullback in the early part of his career at Fitzroy and the first season or so at Brisbane the majority of his time at Brisbane was full forward he was a very good well established forward buy time brown came to them and yes most players would have been better playing in those Brisbane teams
It's quite amusing the lengths some go to hail their players.

Brown didn't hit his peak until after that great midfield and ff left.

So maybe he was even better than you think.

Absolutely elite player and damn near dragged his team over the line to a premiership along with some other top shelf players but the Saints bottom 8 players were never good enough and in grand finals that gets found out

Richo is the nearest comparison in playing style among top players. Riewoldt was more, I dunno, conventional. More reliable.

Bowed out on top and I don't know what he did to earn a revisionist downgrade.
Richo kicked more goals from less games. And dominated the wing for a coupla years. Richo averaged an extra contested mark a game. They both sit comfortabley as champions of the game.

Richo kicked more goals from less games. And dominated the wing for a coupla years. Richo averaged an extra contested mark a game. They both sit comfortabley as champions of the game.

Wasn't intending to rank them. I'm tired of arguing that one top player is better than another, e.g. the Dangerfield/Martin thread. They're both top players, and when Riewoldt's name is mentioned it should generate a gut feel of "top player", without the need to point out that "so-and-so was better". Yeah he was "flawed" in that he wasn't perfect, but every supporter prays for that type of flawed player to walk in the door at the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't intending to rank them. I'm tired of arguing that one top player is better than another, e.g. the Dangerfield/Martin thread. They're both top players, and when Riewoldt's name is mentioned it should generate a gut feel of "top player", without the need to point out that "so-and-so was better". Yeah he was "flawed" in that he wasn't perfect, but every supporter prays for that type of flawed player to walk in the door at the draft.
You said riewoldt was more conventional and reliable. I was just pointing out richo was actually superior in certain stats like goals and contested marks. But as i said and you agree with, both are champions.

Good player but gee it's pretty awkward when this happens 2 goals down in a grandfinal:

Elite players put chances like that away and inspire their team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back