Opinion Nick Reiwoldt - The Flawed Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the top players of this century.In a domestic game which still hasn't produced a complete player .When u think about that I rate Riewoldt right up there with the best.

Give us your criteria for a complete player. Is it skill based criteria only or does it include physical attributes too?

Riewoldt converted at just over 60%, that's pretty good. Nothing special, but pretty good.

As a supporter of a club, some opposition players just strike fear into you when your team is lining up against them. Riewoldt never did for me when Geelong played St Kilda. The best he managed against the Cats was 3.2 in a 7 goal loss.

Very good player. As honest as the day is long and a heart as big as Phar Lap, durable, but nothing special, imo.

Give us your criteria for a complete player. Is it skill based criteria only or does it include physical attributes too?

Riewoldt converted at just over 60%, that's pretty good. Nothing special, but pretty good.

As a supporter of a club, some opposition players just strike fear into you when your team is lining up against them. Riewoldt never did for me when Geelong played St Kilda. The best he managed against the Cats was 3.2 in a 7 goal loss.

Very good player. As honest as the day is long and a heart as big as Phar Lap, durable, but nothing special, imo.
5 time AA is nothing special?

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree with this, he was a very good player, but i was never worried he would rip us apart, played some great games against us mind you.

But like say a Carey who you would always worry when he was going to tear you apart, Riewoldt never did that with me.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
For all the good work he did, most of it was undone with poor kicking for goal.

Discuss....
You must be joking surely the guy kicked over 700 goals was one of the hardest running chf in history was he a great set no but neither was Chris grant ,Franklin ,richo, Cloke, Lowe they were all still great players though!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

There’s a lot more to being a great forward then just your goal tally I remember him running Harry Taylor in to the ground in that qf final and he pretty much single handily got us over the line in the two prelims vs the bulldogs the only players I rate above him at st kilda are Lockett and harvs!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
There’s a lot more to being a great forward then just your goal tally I remember him running Harry Taylor in to the ground in that qf final and he pretty much single handily got us over the line in the two prelims vs the bulldogs the only players I rate above him at st kilda are Lockett and harvs!

I remember Harry Taylor beating him in the 2009 gf. I also remember Taylor taking 2 crucial contested marks in the dying stages of the game, deep into the St Kilda forward line. I don't remember Riewoldt really being in either contest.

But why focus on a handful of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember Harry Taylor beating him in the 2009 gf. I also remember Taylor taking 2 crucial contested marks in the dying stages of the game, deep into the St Kilda forward line. I don't remember Riewoldt really being in either contest.

But why focus on a handful of games.
2010 qf vs Geelong I’m talking about he had a great career over 300 games at a elite level and I focused on those games because they were finals!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
2010 qf vs Geelong I’m talking about he had a great career over 300 games at a elite level and I focused on those games because they were finals!

I know which game you were referring too, I was just countering with the game that really mattered in the end.

Yes he did have a great career of 300+ games.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
My all time greatest fear inducing players ...

Ablett SR
Ablett JR
Buddy
Judd

Judd especially in the infamous 2013 EF. In what could have been a tight 3rd he was the difference, and bought a few other team mates along with him

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
why do Op's insist on putting discuss at the end of their OP?

What the fu** do you think people are going to do?

1573196298500.png

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
My all time greatest fear inducing players ...

Ablett SR
Ablett JR
Buddy
Judd

Judd especially in the infamous 2013 EF. In what could have been a tight 3rd he was the difference, and bought a few other team mates along with him
Clearly never saw Plugger or Carey play. Would kick bags, monster their opponents and deflate them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back