Opinion Nick Reiwoldt - The Flawed Champion

Give us your criteria for a complete player. Is it skill based criteria only or does it include physical attributes too?

Riewoldt converted at just over 60%, that's pretty good. Nothing special, but pretty good.

As a supporter of a club, some opposition players just strike fear into you when your team is lining up against them. Riewoldt never did for me when Geelong played St Kilda. The best he managed against the Cats was 3.2 in a 7 goal loss.

Very good player. As honest as the day is long and a heart as big as Phar Lap, durable, but nothing special, imo.

Nothing special? He would literally be Geelong's greatest CHF of all time.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
718.455 over 326 games. Only year his accuracy was under 50% was 2002 (33.36). In 2001 he kicked 21.18 which was his next worse.

Next thread.

Be interesting to see what his goal kicking record was like compared to other champion CHF's when playing at Marvel Stadium. Perfect conditions and all. I suspect he was average at best.

I remember Harry Taylor beating him in the 2009 gf. I also remember Taylor taking 2 crucial contested marks in the dying stages of the game, deep into the St Kilda forward line. I don't remember Riewoldt really being in either contest.

But why focus on a handful of games.

Went into the game with torn adductor muscle he did two days before the match. Understandable he was done on the day, but he was the best player in the finals series prior to that with immense games against Collingwood the Bulldogs.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
My all time greatest fear inducing players ...

Ablett SR
Ablett JR
Buddy
Judd

Judd especially in the infamous 2013 EF. In what could have been a tight 3rd he was the difference, and bought a few other team mates along with him
+ hird

guy was unstoppable

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
A champion but sadly he will mostly be remembered for his horrific mistake in the 2010 grand final

Stupid post!

And here you were today arguing with me over the athletes of yesteryear and use one single moment in one game to define a champion :thumbsdown:

Wouldn't even have him in the top three forwards. But yes, a champion.

Which forwards have been better this century? I'd only have Buddy ahead.

I know which game you were referring too, I was just countering with the game that really mattered in the end.

Yes he did have a great career of 300+ games.
Lol.

Yeah the finals leading into Grand Finals mean nothing. Who cares about them?

What a ******* moronic mindset.

Give us your criteria for a complete player. Is it skill based criteria only or does it include physical attributes too?

Riewoldt converted at just over 60%, that's pretty good. Nothing special, but pretty good.

As a supporter of a club, some opposition players just strike fear into you when your team is lining up against them. Riewoldt never did for me when Geelong played St Kilda. The best he managed against the Cats was 3.2 in a 7 goal loss.

Very good player. As honest as the day is long and a heart as big as Phar Lap, durable, but nothing special, imo.

All better than the game you're referencing.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Not certain of that. This will be scoffed at I’m sure but Hawkins is likely to finish his career with a similar goal tally and while you could argue that he plays deeper than Riewoldt, he’s closer to a CHF than a FF. Different style players mind you and Riewoldt pushed away from goal more than Hawkins but by the same token Hawkins has built a career on setting up teammates as well. Our boy for some reason cops a lot of grief in the general afl community but statistically he is going to finish in the same vicinity as the three dominant power forwards of the century (given that Buddy probably doesn’t belong in the same category) in Riewoldt, Pavlich and Brown.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stupid post!

And here you were today arguing with me over the athletes of yesteryear and use one single moment in one game to define a champion :thumbsdown:

If you read clearly I never said it defines him, but it was the biggest moment of his football career, the moment that turned the tide of a grand final. What other on field moment did he have bigger than that? Go on?

As I said, champion player, but clearly grand final performances are far more important than any other games.

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
If you read clearly I never said it defines him, but it was the biggest moment of his football career, the moment that turned the tide of a grand final. What other on field moment did he have bigger than that? Go on?

As I said, champion player, but clearly grand final performances are far more important than any other games.
turned the tide? we hadn't hit the *in scoreboard yet! Collingwood started well and we couldn't get our hands on the pill, we never had no tide

Collingwood fans and troll fans are the only ones who think about it

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
It’d be better if we lived in a world where winning premierships wasn’t the only consideration of whether a player was great or not. We never hear the older generation talk down on the likes of Bob Skilton for never winning a flag but its all we ever talk about with Riewoldt. It’s not just an AFL thing at least, Jerry West was nicknamed Mr Clutch despite only winning 1 of 9 NBA Finals appearances but with this generation its all about how much of a choker LeBron was for not winning enough titles.

Nick Riewoldt has been the second best forward since 2000 and its not particularly tight. Buddy > Daylight > N. Riewoldt > Daylight > The rest of the pack. Think it’s ridiculous the amount he is talked down.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

Not much to beat, although not as skilled as Mooney. Stoneham what might have been until he broke his leg and tried to come back too early. I saw the last bit of Newman's career when he was past it.

I'm not sure prior to Newman.

Don't confuse longevity, durability and work rate with greatness. His work rate set him apart.

saintscott

All Australian
Jun 2, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not certain of that. This will be scoffed at I’m sure but Hawkins is likely to finish his career with a similar goal tally and while you could argue that he plays deeper than Riewoldt, he’s closer to a CHF than a FF. Different style players mind you and Riewoldt pushed away from goal more than Hawkins but by the same token Hawkins has built a career on setting up teammates as well. Our boy for some reason cops a lot of grief in the general afl community but statistically he is going to finish in the same vicinity as the three dominant power forwards of the century (given that Buddy probably doesn’t belong in the same category) in Riewoldt, Pavlich and Brown.

Hawkins isn't fit to carry any of those 3 mentioned boots. He is a good player who is one of the better forwards in the comp and more than a handful when on song. But goals aren't the only measure of forward impact, those other 3 were endurance beasts and impacted all over the ground

Back