Opinion Nick Reiwoldt - The Flawed Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us your criteria for a complete player. Is it skill based criteria only or does it include physical attributes too?

Riewoldt converted at just over 60%, that's pretty good. Nothing special, but pretty good.

As a supporter of a club, some opposition players just strike fear into you when your team is lining up against them. Riewoldt never did for me when Geelong played St Kilda. The best he managed against the Cats was 3.2 in a 7 goal loss.

Very good player. As honest as the day is long and a heart as big as Phar Lap, durable, but nothing special, imo.
When I think of a complete player I think of the fun hypothetical situation where AFL is a game where the whole world has grown up playing it..So the talent pool would 10 to 100 times or whatever the current size. .So every skillset of AFL including obviously athleticism would be tested..In my opinion going back as far as the mid 80s Ablett Senior and Buddy in pockets or Flanks would be the only players In a world 22...Everybody else skillset or athleticism could be disected or broken down.Riewoldt would be on the fringes of this top league

When I think of a complete player I think of the fun hypothetical situation where AFL is a game where the whole world has grown up playing it..So the talent pool would 10 to 100 times or whatever the current size. .So every skillset of AFL including obviously athleticism would be tested..In my opinion going back as far as the mid 80s Ablett Senior and Buddy in pockets or Flanks would be the only players In a world 22...Everybody else skillset or athleticism could be disected or broken down.Riewoldt would be on the fringes of this top league

If we had a full global talent pool, the shortest player would be about 6'8", they'd all be skilled and run all day.

He wasn't a contemporary of Riewoldt and no-one has claimed that Riewoldt would be Richmond's best ever CHF, so why do we have Royce Hart in the thread?

By the way, it's a pretty lacklustre highlights package, surely there's something better around? No right foot and for all the Joe the Gooses we saw, we may as well have been watching Josh Jenkin's 2017 highlights package.
1573275677421.png

If a spud like Fred can be included in this discussion then anyone can be included.

As for the highlights package for Royce Hart, seeing footage from the 1967 Grand-final win over Geelong, never gets old!

His career per game averages equate to 193 marks (42 contested), 47 goals, 16 goal assists and 11 Brownlow votes per year over a 22 game season. You'd take that every single day of the week, over 17 years, from a CHF. That includes a first year where he essentially did nothing (and played a few games at CHB), spending a bit of time in the ruck during his 2nd and 3rd years, and having a couple of seasons on the back end where he effectively played as a wingman.

Remarkably consistent and professional for a long, long, time. Undeniably great IMO.

View attachment 776825

If a spud like Fred can be included in this discussion then anyone can be included.

As for the highlights package for Royce Hart, seeing footage from the 1967 Grand-final win over Geelong, never gets old!

Fred Flanagan was brought up in answer to a statement / question posed by another poster.

Richmond supporters are like locusts on the footy threads now. If it's not about Richmond we'll trying and make it about Richmond.

* off!

This century, 100 years...you have him second. You have buddy on top? Wow oh wee.
Big respect to Reiwoldt, bloke was a champ. This century? Surely you’ve made a blue or taking the Mickey.

Do you lack the basic comprehension skills to understand that this refers to the 21st century?

Do you lack the basic comprehension skills to understand that this refers to the 21st century?
No. Lol at excuse. You can’t even construct a proper sentence to explain yourself. Do you lack basic writing skills? You wrote century, amongst some of the dumber things I have read here, congratulations.

No. Lol at excuse. You can’t even construct a proper sentence to explain yourself. Do you lack basic writing skills? You wrote century, amongst some of the dumber things I have read here, congratulations.

this century.

the one we are in.

this current one.

the 21st.

How could you not grasp that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when someone says ‘it’s the hottest day this year’ do you assume that they mean the hottest day over the last 365 days, or the hottest day in 2019?

This century is wrong to...go back to 1919. You blokes need to English. I assume when someone says it is the hottest day this year I expect they are talking about that year. When smith says this is the best century I have ever made I am to assume it is his 21st one then? As you were...keep talking to yourself.

I don't even remember him as a goal-kicker. I remember lots of running, lots of marking. Surprised by how many he kicked tbh.

Excellent footballer, though. Kind of like a more-ferocious-attack-on-the-ball version of Ben Brown, but without the goalkicking accuracy.

Would be interested to see the average distance covered per game comparison between Brown and Riewoldt, actually.

Who normally got the best defender during the Saints' big years? Riewoldt or Koschitzke?

Debate is still ongoing but most are sure he was the first million dollar player in the AFL. Fair enough too.
The other thing is not many lay claim to being the Number 1 guy playing the game. Fewer than we realise lay claim to it, Riewoldt as that guy around 2009. Ablett Jnr took over the slot about same time/soon after. Its a massive and rare thing to be undisputed.
One often forgotten stat is how he knocked back the biggest contract in history to go home. We sometimes speculate about ordinary guys being drawn home, but that decision was massive in footy history. Reckon the AFL just assumed he would go. Knocked it back and stayed loyal. In the end it took even more to get Lil Gary to leave home.
Yeah I met him a few times. Top bloke. One of those guys you see amongst others that oozed proper champion.

This century is wrong to...go back to 1919. You blokes need to English. I assume when someone says it is the hottest day this year I expect they are talking about that year. When smith says this is the best century I have ever made I am to assume it is his 21st one then? As you were...keep talking to yourself.

Christ! How do you manage to put your kids through private school :huh:

The other thing is not many lay claim to being the Number 1 guy playing the game. Fewer than we realise lay claim to it...

This is the key point.

It almost doesn't matter what the deadshits in the stands think - across the years there have been the odd player is generally recognised as 'the best'.

Rightly or wrongly, not many ever get that tag.

Flaws or not.

Some are seen this way.

Riewoldt was one of them, like it or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back