Toast Nick Riewoldt Captain Countdown

Remove this Banner Ad

This weekend Nick Riewoldt will captain the St.Kilda Football Club for the 209th time, the 5th most in VFL/AFL history.

So over the next few weeks lets celebrate the great man once more as he passes AFL legends in Michael Voss (Round 12), Ted Whitten (Round 14) and works his way towards overtaking Essendon legend Dick Reynolds and the longest serving captain of all-time in Sticks Kernahan to himself become the longest serving captain in the history of the VFL/AFL.

nick-riewoldt-afl-628.jpg

1) Stephen Kernahan (Carlton) 226 games
2) Dick Reynolds (Essendon) 224 games
3) Nick Riewoldt (St.Kilda) 213 games*
4) Ted Whitten (Footscray) 212 games
5) Michael Voss (Brisbane) 210 games

*As of Round 16, 2016.

Last edited:

I think Roo is playing well enough to keep the captaincy. If so he will be the longest serving captain. He falls 3 short by my calculation if he plays every game this year.

I think he should be captain for one more year and then pass it to Newnes in 2018 who will be ready by then with Dunstan as his deputy. Throw in Armitage, Geary, Weller and Steven making up the leadership group (plus 1-2 others not yet identified)...

Absolute gun. Best Saint I've ever seen, and most likely will ever see. Would give my left nut to see him hold up the premiership cup before he retires.

great post mate. didnt realise, good to see someone highlighting this stuff

if he plays every game this season where will it put him?
It'll put him at 221 games as captain. I'm hoping he captains us again next year to overtake that record, it's such a massive achievement for him and for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll put him at 221 games as captain. I'm hoping he captains us again next year to overtake that record, it's such a massive achievement for him and for us.
Did you count the four finals matches?

;)

As good as you young people think Roo is just imagine Plugger being 20% better. Freak of nature. Sadly we may have the best group of 5 players in the history of the game yet only one flag. Probably says more about our depth over the years or lack of depth.

Agree with you 100% - Plugger the best Saint I've seen followed by Roo and then Harvey. Plugger did things that defied belief.

(Never saw Baldock or Stewart as too young)

As good as you young people think Roo is just imagine Plugger being 20% better. Freak of nature. Sadly we may have the best group of 5 players in the history of the game yet only one flag. Probably says more about our depth over the years or lack of depth.
Totally different player. Lockett could not do half the things Riewoldt does on the football field.
Riewoldt is easily the better footballer. Lockett easily the better one position player.

Totally different player. Lockett could not do half the things Riewoldt does on the football field.
Riewoldt is easily the better footballer. Lockett easily the better one position player.

Well that's an opinion that I think many would disagree with especially me. I don't care what either can do or not do and I don't care if they are different players because when people decide who is better out of Harvey and Lockett they still have an opinion. My opinion is Lockett is the greatest footballer I have ever seen or most likely will ever see.

And its a credit to Roo that he may have passed Harvey now as our second best. I cant comment on the Doc and Stewie because I saw bigger all of them.

Last edited:
Well that's an opinion that I think many would disagree with especially me. I don't care what either can do or not do and I don't care if they are different players because when people decide who is better out of Harvey and Lockett they still have an opinion. My opinion is Lockett is the greatest footballer I have ever seen or most likely will ever see.

And its a credit to Roo that he may have passed Harvey now as our second best. I cant comment on the Doc and Stewie because I saw bigger all of them.
Lol would have loved to see Lockett on a wing or at CHB.
Good luck to you with your opinion. Lockett was the best FF I have seen, Reiwoldt the better footballer in my opinion.

Lockett was limited to one position.

Out & out champion of the game. So blessed to have been able to see this bloke play. Absolute superstar

It's so unfortunate that all those above Nick have something he does not..... :(

Well, I am making sure that every single time I see him live from now on that I make sure to truly appreciate each game he plays and not just take him for granted.

Lol would have loved to see Lockett on a wing or at CHB.
Good luck to you with your opinion. Lockett was the best FF I have seen, Reiwoldt the better footballer in my opinion.

Lockett was limited to one position.

Big deal about him being limited to one position and of course he couldn't play on the wing or CHB. When does how many positions decide if you are a better player? As for a true footballer well Lockett is clearly the better truer footballer and Roo is clearly the better athletic footballer. I could lol when deciding a player is better because of versatility but that would just show my lack of footy knowledge. Also means Harvey is worse than many other saints players who happened to play in a few positions. Just as a matter of interest to you Plugger actually did very well in the ruck when given a run there. He actually turned a game for Victoria one day when moved into the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back