Retired Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

If I'm anyone of power at the saints, Roo doesn't play a game an away game outside of Melbourne the whole year. He signed a contract for 2 years and needs to start having DNP - old. It's not saying he's injured or will get injured but the facts are resting players helps long term.

Also with a young family now would be good to keep him in Melb as much as possible, I would of done the same with Lenny last year aswell. Joey the same
That's an incredibly bad idea.

I remember one time on tv his good mate nathan brown mentioned Nick wanting to head over to the USA when he retired and trying his hand at punting.
Nathan then went on to mention Nick is an athletic freak and could play WR.
I don't doubt if Nick set his mind to it he would at least come close to crossing codes.
Young fella who played for brisbane doing well for Hawaii by the way.
Problem with this plot as I see it is Nick wont hang up the RW&B until the day his knee explodes in a shower of gore mid game.

Well it's worked in almost every other sport when it's done and has success . It doesn't lose their fitness at all... Keeps them fresh for the rest of their careers, some of you proberbly care to much about records and no. of games played.

Well it's worked in almost every other sport when it's done and has success . It doesn't lose their fitness at all... Keeps them fresh for the rest of their careers, some of you proberbly care to much about records and no. of games played.
Would be a massive insult to him to 'rest' him.
He's a massive competitor, our captain and one of the all time greats. If he wants to play (which by signing a contract extension I'd say he does) then he plays.
Geelong tried this exact approach with Chapman.

Seriously, do we have to EVERY minor tangent moved to the player threads?

Would be a massive insult to him to 'rest' him.
He's a massive competitor, our captain and one of the all time greats. If he wants to play (which by signing a contract extension I'd say he does) then he plays.
Geelong tried this exact approach with Chapman.
Go tell this thinking to the spurs

A different sport in a different country isnt really relevant. Anyway i guess we will agree to disagree, im hoping he continues on from this years form and smashes out 40 odd awesome games over the next 2 years.
It's also worked in sports such as soccer. It's a proven method to extend careers, remember roo is 1 major injury away from being done

It's also worked in sports such as soccer. It's a proven method to extend careers, remember roo is 1 major injury away from being done
So is any player tho mate. I just don't understand your logic, saying that some people only care about records and games played, yet you want to keep him playing longer. As I said I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. No doubt we can agree on hoping he has yet another cracking season.

So is any player tho mate. I just don't understand your logic, saying that some people only care about records and games played, yet you want to keep him playing longer. As I said I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. No doubt we can agree on hoping he has yet another cracking season.
I want to preserve the best of Roo for asking as we can, would give the coaches looks at the future foward line in games he stayed at home which still have a massive unknown about

Last edited:
I want to preserve the best of Roo for asking as we can, would give the coaches looks at the future foward line in games he stayed at home which still have a massive unknown about
I can actually see quite a few reasons for what you're arguing.

Firstly, the fact is, we have to prepare for life after Riewoldt. Forward structures etc will have to change, because we will just never have a player in that forward line who plays like Roo again. So it's not just that we lose him, it's that every other player in that line will have to play differently, there will be a completely different structure. Now, either they do that in a few years' time in one big BOOM, just when we want to start challenging for top-4; or, we do it gradually, in games with less significance - namely, interstate games.

Secondly, let's assume that Roo has 25-30 games left in him. That's a guess, but not an unreasonable estimate. So, if you only have 25-30 games left, do you really want to waste one of those games on the Giants in Sydney? Why not save that game for when we really need him. What if, by some miracle, we can sneak out a lazy 10 games of those 25-30 for the year 2017, and that's the difference between finishing in or out of the top-8 - or even between finishing in the top-8, and somehow sneaking into the top-4?

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Riewoldt:

Took 191 marks - 21 more than any other player in teh H&A rounds - and ranked 1 for uncontested marks and marks on the lead.

Kicked the =10th most goals and ranked 12th in the league for scoreboard impact, but was involved in 38% of the Saints scoring chains - the highest % in the league.

He averaged 65 more CD ranking points in wins than losses - the biggest differential of any player - and his average of 145 points in wins was also the highest.

When kicking into the forward 50 the Saints retained possession 59% of the time - the 5th highest % of the top 100.

Riewoldt named captain for 10th year: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-09/riewoldt-named-captain-for-record-10th-year

THE 2015 season is set to be full of major milestones for St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt.

The 32-year-old was today named club captain for a 10th season which sees him overtake Danny Frawley (nine seasons: 1987-95) as the club record holder. Darrel Baldock is the third longest serving captain (six years: 1963-68).

“I am incredibly proud to be named captain of this great club for the 2015 season and I can’t believe it’s my 10th year in the role,” Riewoldt told SAINTS.com.au.

More here: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-02-09/riewoldt-named-captain-for-record-10th-year

Press Conference: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-02-10/nick-riewoldt-press-conference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion.

150314-roo.jpg

Let's go back. Way back to when Nick was just a grade 12 student at All Saints Anglican College on the Gold Coast and was playing local football for the Southport Sharks in the Queensland state league. The year was 2000 and the world had just welcomed the new millennium. 12 months prior, Riewoldt had controversially switched allegiances from Broadbeach to their arch rival in Southport. The expectations were high and Southport were looking to complete the rare feat of four premierships in a row. The Sharks compiled a strong home and away season record in which Riewoldt managed to kick 17 goals.

Unsurprisingly, Southport and the Northern Eagles, the two best teams that year, met in the grand final held at Giffin Park in Brisbane. The three time defending premiers got off to an awful start, kicking 1.3 in the first quarter and going completely scoreless in the second quarter. Riewoldt had been kept virtually touchless in the first half while dueling with future AFL premiership player Jamie Charman on the wing. Trailing by 26 points at half time, a change needed to be made. A masterstroke from Sharks coach Jason Cotter saw Riewoldt moved into the ruck in the third quarter, where he began to come into his element and kicked two crucial goals as a resting ruckman. The Sharks would win the grand final by 9 points. Nick's only senior premiership to date. Both Riewoldt goals can be found in the highlights video below (1:28 & 3:01). I always thought it'd be cool to own a vintage #40 Southport Riewoldt guernsey.

Less than a month later Nick would celebrate his 18th birthday and be drafted to the Saints with the number 1 pick in the 2000 national draft.

Can we add McClucky to the draft wish list?

Great footage!
Steven McLuckie was actually a Bears listed player in 1992 and was sent to the reserves (Southport) to find some form. He was a Southport junior so it's likely he felt more at home playing for the Sharks. He actually made a splash in his AFL debut for the Bears in round 2 1992 with 25 disposals and 4 goals against Collingwood at Victoria Park. Unfortunately, he was delisted at the end of 1993 with only 20 games and 8 goals to his name.

A good read on Rooey and Bruce have become a great duo. Its great to get so much positive media now.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-2015-afl-season/story-e6frf3e3-1227432161929

Since returning from a nasty concussion, Riewoldt’s past five rounds have been outstanding, booting 15 goals and averaging 19 disposals and 11 marks per game.

During his team’s thumping of Essendon on the weekend, Riewoldt never stopped running and working, consistently covering well over 100m to apply pressure or pick up a disposal. If he didn’t win the footy, he’d double-back and present again. And again.

Jonathan Brown told Fox Footy’s On The Couch that Riewoldt has “another couple of years left in him”.

“He was quite unbelievable (against Essendon). “He works like that all day. His endurance is fantastic, usually as forwards get older, particularly over 30, they lose speed. (But) Nick Riewoldt hasn’t lost even half a yard of speed."

“There wouldn’t be a defender in the competition who would be able to fly past him on the lead. That’s really impressive for mine and shows where his longevity’s at.

“(Coach) Alan Richardson would be thrilled he’s still going around.”

When Riewoldt returned, the question was whether Bruce and Riewoldt could work together well in the same forward line. The answer has been an unequivocal yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
595423-nick-riewoldt.jpg

Nick Riewoldt
Captain of the St Kilda Football Club

Key Stats (At the Start of the 2016 Season):
Games:
Goals: 648

Career Highlights:
Six Time Best & Fairest Winner
Five Time All Australian
MVP Winner
Rising Star Winner​

Really looking forward to watching Rooey closely over the course of 2016. Will enable me to savour the twilight of his career more than I otherwise would have. We all know what a champion he has been for a long time however time catches up to even the greatest amongst us eventually.

Some of the key questions I am expecting to be answered in the course of 2015 are as follows:

• Does Rooey hang onto the captaincy or does he hand it over to Armitage?
  • Does Riewoldt look to fast track the development of our young key forwards by playing a Richo type role on the wing in his final years?
  • Can he take another hit to the head? Does he need to start adjusting the way he plays his footy for the sake of his family and long-term health?
  • Will we see Riewoldt hang up the boots even if he avoids injury? he's not getting any younger and doesn't have a lot left to prove...

We have all been privileged to see this bloke play one of the all time great careers for us and I hope we still have a few more highlights to come!

Skipper's in good Nick
Luke Holmesby December 3, 2015 10:11 AM

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-12-03/skippers-in-good-nick

"NICK Riewoldt may not be returning to St Kilda training until 2016 but he has taken on more running at this stage than has been the case in recent years.

That is the word from teammate and close friend Leigh Montagna who recently returned from Ireland and New York where he toured with Riewoldt as part of the International Rules team."

Great news for the skipper... and could this be a little hint that perhaps he will be spending a bit more time on the wing this season?

"He is pretty keen to slim down a bit and look after his body. He is in good nick and he is enjoying his time off. He’ll come back in great condition.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back