Retired Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 vs Demons:
24 Disposals, 14 marks, 3 goals, 3 Brownlow votes (citation needed)

What a year he's having at the moment and if the rumours of him re-signing shortly are true it will just keep getting better.

He is currently averaging 19.3 touches (highest in career), 10.5 marks (highest in career) and 2.5 goals (highest since 2012, 5th highest in career).

All this whilst sitting over half the Collingwood match out.

#AllAustralianWatch2016

Round 7 vs North Melbourne

Come on... this is just getting ridiculous...

24 touches, 16 marks!! and 3 goals to cap it off... Another top class performance from the great man, I hope we are all savouring his current form.

#AllAustralianWatch2016

Round 7 vs North Melbourne

Come on... this is just getting ridiculous...

24 touches, 16 marks!! and 3 goals to cap it off... Another top class performance from the great man, I hope we are all savouring his current form.

#AllAustralianWatch2016

It's something I do every time I go to watch the Saints play these days. A couple years back I was certain he was only a few games away from retirement but looks like he could easily go on for another year right now.

Probably a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I suppose the one condoling (is that a word?) fact of us not winning a flag is Rooey continuing to push on for another chance, and reaching levels we never thought we'd see from him again.

Would he have played on in 2017 if we'd have grabbed that flag in 2009 or 2010?

Missed the last couple of weeks.

Rooey has just keep the consistency going...

22 touches and 10 marks in a dirty day for the club against the eagles and 24 touches and 9 marks against the bombers in a good win.

The goals dropped off for the first time all year the last two rounds however. The West Coast game was pretty much a write off for the whole list so I think that was just an aberration. The Essendon game was more because he played more as a pure winger than any other game in his career, he spent less time in the forward 50 then I can ever remember, he still managed to take a great contester mark just out of the goal square before giving it off to Mav for a cheapie.

#AllAustralianWatch2016

Rooey to miss his first game for 2016 after injury held him back to his quietest game of the year.

Fingers crossed the champion has a quick recovery, wouldn't want this to impact his AA chances.

What a return to form in one of our best wins in years.

Rooey managed to get his hands on the ball 26 times and take another 10 marks.

#AllAustralianWatch2016

16903532_10154664877733183_4203077244456391706_o.jpg

Looks knocking out his 16th pre-season.

“It’s his 17th season and he’s still able to do it – he’s a remarkable player,” Kingsley said in the aftermath of St Kilda’s one-point win over Port Adelaide.

“But it’s not luck, he works incredibly hard throughout the pre-season and week to week, working on his body and making sure he’s in terrific shape.

“He’s got such a great competitive drive, work rate and mental toughness to be able to just continue to work when he’s tired.

“His contribution whether it’s wing or forward is terrific for us.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-02-27/riewoldt-primed-for-similar-role-to-2016

Sorry for the late start with my advocate thread. At least Nicks start to the season has been a lot better than mine.

Round 1 seen Nick in great touch. He got off to a great start against the Dees taking 7 marks, kicking 4 goals from 14 disposals swapping between the wing and the forward line. He was BOG for the Saints and one of the few who could hold his head high. A late game knee injury threw a scare through Saints faithful as he was stretchered off the ground. However scans were positive and no structural damage had occured on what was feared may be possibly be a career ending injury turned out only to be a couple weeks.

Nick returned early in round 3 and a few questioned whether it was worth risking him in what should have been a relatively simple 4 points. Well, we were lucky Nick did in fact play and was a clear BOG in a harder win than what was expected. He finished with 3 goals from 12 marks and 28 disposals playing predominantly in the midfield and was pivotal for Saints grasping the win after a rampaging Lions 3rd quarter come back.

It's early days, and we say it every single season, but Riewoldt looks to be in career best form as strange as that sounds. At this rate, he will be adding another B&F, AA to his decorated history and possibly even a Brownlow medal to his collection if things go his way.

He's still a bonafide superstar of the game at 34, and one of the all time great CHFs (2nd best all time for mine) and Saints supporters should treasure these moments late in his career and count ourselves very, very lucky that he is ours. Not many like Riewoldt come around too often.

You're all good to have this thread if you like. We can merge it at the end of the season.
Will do mate

When I took Roo in the sweepstakes, I said I'm glad I had him as he could well sneak another AA, B&F and possibly even a Brownlow if things go well. Well the first 2 are a lock at this stage and I can't write him off for the Brownlow if we win enough games. Finds more than enough of the ball in the midfield, kicks goals and frankly the umpires seem to like him and has a proven vote history despite playing predominantly forward his entire career until recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Riewoldt Gary Dempsey
Games 329 329
Wins 164 164
Disposals 5513 5560
Kicks 3989 3997

Very similar stats for both players but Dempsey played almost all his career as a ruckman most of the time playing that loose one kick behind the play .

Last edited:
Roo might finish up this year as his knees are restricting him so much. To day after the siren sounded there was a quick flash of Roo who didn't look to happy . I think he might have made his decision today . You can tell he still wants to do stuff but his body just can't anymore which is a shame . Hopefully next week he will get the record for most number of marks , passing Gary Dempsey. I think he needs 6 more .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back