Draft Profile Nick "Tigger" Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Could Vlastuin crack the top ten on draft day?

Chalk and cheese
The nickname 'Tigger', in reference to A.A. Milne's character in Winnie the Pooh, was given to Vlastuin by his mother who identified that her child was "bouncing all over the place" ever since he had started to walk. When the Knights' talent managers caught the drift, the name stuck.

"If you line up on an opponent, you can think to yourself he probably didn't run on Christmas and New Year's day so you've got that mental edge on him," Vlastuin told AFL.com.au.

"It's just about knowing you've done the work."

"Tigger flattened me a couple of times and he showed me the standard of where I needed to be at," Haynes says.

Vlastuin says his and Haynes' relationship is fostered on keeping things competitive.

"I hate it when he beats me," Vlastuin says.

"Tigger ticks all the boxes in what we believe a competitive animal is," Grbac says.

"I keep saying this to recruiters, 'You take him to your club and every coach will fall in love with the way he plays footy.'"
Chalk and cheese

Vlastuin reminds me of Mitch Robinson with his attack on the ball, running and ability overhead. Must be just as hyper as Robinson to have the nickname Tigger. Don't know if he has the silk and athleticism to be picked ahead of Menzel, Garlett and others.

A big and aggressive mid would be a good acquisition and complement to our silky players and runners. Want players who are driven with character and a good work ethic. Along with Jaksch, Vlastuin might be one of the best fits for Carlton. Both would be a good selection with Waite and Carrazzo turning 30 next year.

Would be perfect for Gold Coast, I think Port & Richmond will also look closely at him.

Unless Grundy slips, I'd expect us to draft him at 9. Very much a Francis Jackson type.

Port at 7 a chance, but doubt they would overlook Grundy/ Mayes / Menzel in preference to floss-toon

Will need a name change if he gets past Richmond and lands at Visy Park.

Nick "Bluey" Vlastuin.

Loved that he hit the contest hard and took a big mark on the fifty at Alberton. The SA forward had to leave the ground with an injury.

Wouldn't be as skilled as Scotland, but we could do with a young mid/wing/half back who is good overhead.

Thrill of the game helps control Nick's hard edge
''I always liked the competitive side of the game, wrestling kids and roughing them up and getting roughed up,'' he said.

He was a hard, tough man, qualities Cecily suspects may have continued on to Nick who, as a footballer, works relentlessly, is resilient and never wants to lose. Curiously, his brother, Tim, joined the army earlier this year. ''I took him to the gym before army training and killed him,'' said Nick, smiling. ''I'm hoping that won't change too quickly. We'll see.''

Before long, the bigger kids wanted Nick in their team and since starting out he has been through the Eltham juniors to the Northern Knights and Metro. He was surprised when asked to be captain, and was almost immediately challenged, with the team unexpectedly dropping its first match to the Northern Territory.

''I love the contested side of the game, the contest, the stoppages and all the body-on-body stuff,'' he said. ''It's what I've always loved the most. I can't wait to see what it's like.''
Thrill of the game helps control Nick's hard edge

Could Vlastuin crack the top ten on draft day?

Chalk and cheese

Chalk and cheese

Vlastuin reminds me of Mitch Robinson with his attack on the ball, running and ability overhead. Must be just as hyper as Robinson to have the nickname Tigger. Don't know if he has the silk and athleticism to be picked ahead of Menzel, Garlett and others.

A big and aggressive mid would be a good acquisition and complement to our silky players and runners. Want players who are driven with character and a good work ethic. Along with Jaksch, Vlastuin might be one of the best fits for Carlton. Both would be a good selection with Waite and Carrazzo turning 30 next year.

Gee whiz. He's a hell of a lot better than Mitch. For mine anyway.

OOC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back