Nick Vlastuin set to move into Richmond’s midfield in 2017 in team shake-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I'VE heard it all now ..... Edwards is elite.
Give me a break!
Two top 10 finishes in our best and fairest across nine years.
Elite players win best and fairests, poll high numbers of Brownlow votes, earn All-Australian selection etc.
This guy's resume is blank!
Exact sort of bloke whose spot in the team needs to go to a younger player.
Where his two top 10 finishes in tbe last 3 years?

Where his two top 10 finishes in tbe last 3 years?

It's actually three top 10 finishes ... one top five.
2010 he was sixth behind Riewoldt, Newman, Deledio, Martin and Tuck.
2012 he was eighth behind Cotchin, Deledio, Maric, Tuck, Grigg, Rance and Morris.
2013 - 14th
2014th he was fourth behind Cotchin, Ellis and Martin.
2015 - 15th.
2016: Equal 12th with Hampson and Llloyd,.
Clearly elite numbers.

It's actually three top 10 finishes ... one top five.
2010 he was sixth behind Riewoldt, Newman, Deledio, Martin and Tuck.
2012 he was eighth behind Cotchin, Deledio, Maric, Tuck, Grigg, Rance and Morris.
2013 - 14th
2014th he was fourth behind Cotchin, Ellis and Martin.
2015 - 15th.
2016: Equal 12th with Hampson and Llloyd,.
Clearly elite numbers.
A picture of inconsistency. At 29 he play for another year or two. His 2014 was very good. His 2015 was good until some player broke his leg from memory. 2016 more injuries in an overall s**t year for the club bar two standout players in rance and martin.

Hes definitely replaceable this year his best form will keep the kids out so its upto the kids to be better.

If Vlastuin does go to midfield not many are mentioning Castagna not so much as a direct replacement but someone who can go back.
Kid got two games inwhat rnd 7 rnd 8 struggled a bit and then got three late ones two of which were absolute crackers.
If Vlastuin goes midfield i really think the replacement should be McIntosh. Kamdyn would be a massive win when it comes to run and rebound and i dont think people really understand how good he could be in the air.He is big bodied lays crunching tackles and gravitates back as it is.
I had Castagna in my best 22 for round 1.

He is super quick, tough as nails, has a tank and isnt afraid to take a game on. He is the prototype bulldogs underrated player IMO.

I like him up forward where his kicking isnt as much of an issue under pressure and he can kick to spots rather than hitting targets through the middle. Can also pinch hit in the guts if we need him to.

If Vlastuin does indeed go into the midfield who plays the lock down role instead? Vlas has never racked up big numbers and is often the guy with the fist spoiling the ball. His endurance aside the knock I have on him is he doesn't get it in tight enough which is required in the middle. Mackintosh, Short, Markov are more the speed and dash from defence not so much the grunt the Vlas provides. Someone still has to do this so I reckon if he moves up the ground as a result we should be prepared to see more of Hunt & Morris in defence unfortunately.
I think this may mean Batchelor comes in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A picture of inconsistency. At 29 he play for another year or two. His 2014 was very good. His 2015 was good until some player broke his leg from memory. 2016 more injuries in an overall s**t year for the club bar two standout players in rance and martin.

Hes definitely replaceable this year his best form will keep the kids out so its upto the kids to be better.
A reasoned post, but can't see the point in the hyper negativity of others.

I had Castagna in my best 22 for round 1.

He is super quick, tough as nails, has a tank and isnt afraid to take a game on. He is the prototype bulldogs underrated player IMO.

I like him up forward where his kicking isnt as much of an issue under pressure and he can kick to spots rather than hitting targets through the middle. Can also pinch hit in the guts if we need him to.

He didn't look out of place in the seniors at all

100% agree K Mac looked great when he was back before he got injured.. is a natural defender and can break the game open with his run.. by far the best position I've seen him play..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best possie I have seen him play is the wing in his first game. Does seem a good type to go back though.

I feel as though we are moving Vlaustin into the middle one year to late. With Caddy/Prestia coming in the only spot I see him taking in there is Miles. It is by far his best position though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Edwards will no longer be an automatic selection in the 22 and will me made to earn his spot i believe, There is competition for his position in 2017

Could be trade bait end of the year
If Edwards doesn't get injured he will play and play well. One of those blokes who can't play injured

Edwards is the most overrated player going around. 190 games and just 120 goals, poor decision maker, terrible disposal, lopes around ball watching and gets too few possessions. If I see the word 'elite' used again I'll scream.

Surely no-one on here has said that Edwards is elite. Nobody in their right mind would say such a ridiculous thing. He is so far from elite it's not funny. He will end up playing 200 games and be the most frustrating player I have ever seen wear the Tiger colors. Has the skill but something is ALWAYS holding him back (other than the 1 good year).

And this is coming from a bloke who hates taking pot shots at our players.

Surely no-one on here has said that Edwards is elite. Nobody in their right mind would say such a ridiculous thing. He is so far from elite it's not funny. He will end up playing 200 games and be the most frustrating player I have ever seen wear the Tiger colors. Has the skill but something is ALWAYS holding him back (other than the 1 good year).

And this is coming from a bloke who hates taking pot shots at our players.

Yep ... the word 'elite' has been used in regards Edwards. Ben saying for years - purely overrated!

Yep ... the word 'elite' has been used in regards Edwards. Ben saying for years - purely overrated!

Well I don't mean to be rude but anyone who thinks Edwards is elite is either completely blinded by their Tiger goggles OR has no idea about football.

He needs to pull his finger out given how many years he has been in the system and close the gap between his best and worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back