Opinion Nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

What?
So someone saying Tassie is cold upsets you, because you think you're the underdog?

Turn it up.
Tassie is ******* cold lol.
Doesn't upset me, keeps you lot away.

Every mainlander who spends a weekend in Tassie: "Oh it's so lovely there, so untouched, so natural, so unique".

Same mainlander who moves to Tassie: puts on a pair of Blunnies and puts a Keep Tassie Wild sticker on their Subaru XV
"I'm from Brunswick/Fitzroy/Glebe/Newtown, here's how to do it Tasmania".

Meanwhile, the founder of Melbourne was a Tasmanian, and an outcast at that.

Tassie is ******* cold lol.
Doesn't upset me, keeps you lot away.
Every mainlander who spends a weekend in Tassie: Oh it's so lovely there, so untouched, so natural, so unique.
Same mainlander who moves to Tassie: I'm from Brunswick/Fitzroy/Glebe/Newtown, here's how to do it Tasmania.
I used to work in Tassie quite a bit, and it's cold at night in winter, colder than here in Gippsland anyway.

But maybe it was only when I was there hey?

I used to work in Tassie quite a bit, and it's cold at night in winter, colder than here in Gippsland anyway.

When I lived in Melbourne it was much warmer in the winter, I almost never wore a puffy jacket as I got too hot, the wind down here is torture.

It rains SO much in Melbourne. I haven't spent enough time in Gippsland to comment. It's a different kind of cold though from the game of footy I played there.

When I lived in Melbourne it was much warmer in the winter, I almost never wore a puffy jacket as I got too hot, the wind down here is torture.

It rains SO much in Melbourne. I haven't spent enough time in Gippsland to comment. It's a different kind of cold though from the game of footy I played there.
I was stupid enough to go get a pizza one night in Latrobe, from the pub to the Pizza shop is about 100 metres, maybe a bit more, but it's not far, stupid me had shorts and thongs on, I can tell you now, I didn't do that again.

According to the BOM data, Gippsland has about 30% more rain than Hobart or Launceston. Also, depending where in Gippsland, it can be similar temperatures to Launceston or Hobart overnight.

So it'd be a good place for a football stadium, with a roof. ;)

According to the BOM data, Gippsland has about 30% more rain than Hobart or Launceston. Also, depending where in Gippsland, it can be similar temperatures to Launceston or Hobart overnight.

So it'd be a good place for a football stadium, with a roof. ;)
Someone put a graph up the other day saying Hobart has more days of rain, you may not get as much, but it rains more regular if that makes sense.

I would bet without looking, the rain Darwin gets would nearly drown Hobart, yet it wouldn't rain nearly 1/2 the time.

Until I had to have blood thinners, I used to wear shorts and tshirt all winter here, I did it once in Tassie, I would never do it again, it's the coldest I have ever been.

Someone put a graph up the other day saying Hobart has more days of rain, you may not get as much, but it rains more regular if that makes sense.

I would bet without looking, the rain Darwin gets would nearly drown Hobart, yet it wouldn't rain nearly 1/2 the time.

Until I had to have blood thinners, I used to wear shorts and tshirt all winter here, I did it once in Tassie, I would never do it again, it's the coldest I have ever been.

The coldest I've been is in Ballarat. Was there for a few days in winter.

Yet I like the place.

Great pubs, great history. Worth a visit.

Hobart gets a lot of little showers off the mountain. Most of the time it hardly wets the ground. We get rain all year around. Thats why its really not often that wet in Winter.

Having people in Melbourne often say 'you must be use to muddy ground in winter'. I saw much worse wet/muddy grounds watching VFA footy for the years I was there.

VFL grounds at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin were often boggy. Much more than here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coldest I've been is in Ballarat. Was there for a few days in winter.

Yet I like the place.

Great pubs, great history. Worth a visit.

Hobart gets a lot of little showers off the mountain. Most of the time it hardly wets the ground. We get rain all year around. Thats why its really not often that wet in Winter.

Having people in Melbourne often say 'you must be use to muddy ground in winter'. I saw much worse wet/muddy grounds watching VFA footy for the years I was there.

VFL grounds at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin were often boggy. Much more than here.
They say Ballarat is the coldest place in Australia don't they, then Canberra and then Hobart?

If it doesn't worry Tasmanians, then why worry what Australians think (joke), maybe it might stop a few from coming over, but in time those who follow their teams close enough will come.

But anyone trying to tell me it's not cold, is a deadset liar, like I said, I am from the South of Australia, we have cold winters and it was the coldest I have been in Tassie.

They say Ballarat is the coldest place in Australia don't they, then Canberra and then Hobart?

If it doesn't worry Tasmanians, then why worry what Australians think (joke), maybe it might stop a few from coming over, but in time those who follow their teams close enough will come.

But anyone trying to tell me it's not cold, is a deadset liar, like I said, I am from the South of Australia, we have cold winters and it was the coldest I have been in Tassie.

Its Colder in Winter in many places. Try Orange, Wagga Wagga or Glen Innes in NSW in winter!! Let alone Shepparton, Wangaratta etc etc. They play winter sport no worries.

Yes its cold here. Nothing like Canada or Europe in winter. They even play sport without a roof!!

Its Colder in Winter in many places. Try Orange, Wagga Wagga or Glen Innes in NSW in winter!! Let alone Shepparton, Wangaratta etc etc. They play winter sport no worries.

Yes its cold here. Nothing like Canada or Europe in winter. They even play sport without a roof!!
So?
You have been crying for years the AFL won't give you a team, now they make some conditions and all you do is cry about them, some people can't be pleased no matter what.

If you don't like the conditions, just pull out altogether and follow basketball.

They'll definitely go with Tasmanian Devils IMO. But also some other suggestions for fun

Tasmanian Taipans
Tasmanian Seals
Tassie Islanders
The Redbacks (would be awesome if these were the right colours)
Tassie Bushrangers

Here's a brainstorm I did. Just a bit of fun - hope you enjoy.
NAMEWHYPROSCONS
TASSIE DEVILSTasmania’s most famous non extinct animal, the Tasmanian Devil, is a ferocious carnivore. Tasmania’s State Mammal is a unique and easily identifiable symbol of locality.Marketable, great mascot, distinctively Tasmanian, obvious choiceSimilar to Demons, obvious choice
RANGERSTasmania is an island of vast bushland, in early settlement convicts were sent out into the wilderness as bushrangers to forage for food.Unique, Australiana, wide-casting, promotes Tasmania’s wilderness
Association to colonialist history, firearm association
MAPSThe anointed nickname for Tasmania’s State of Origin team by its players (or so I’ve heard). References the map of Tasmania that is on the jumper’s chest.Heritage based, symbolic, unique
Unfortunate online acronym, confusing, unimposing, lacks an obvious mascot
SPIRITSA dual meaning, references the state run cruise service that travels between Melbourne and Tasmania, as well as Port Arthur Prison, a popular tourist destination and claimed most haunted place in AustraliaUnique, room for creativity
Kinda lame, too commercial
OWLSThe Tasmanian Masked Owl is a native bird endemic to Tasmania, living in the state’s vast forests and bushland. The masked owl is a mysterious nocturnal hunter equipped with a large set of sharp talons.
Very cool mascot, very badass, marketable, left field native animal, at night games there could be an owl keeper that comes out with owls on his arm.

There are no cons

TRIDENTS
A reference to the Bass Strait stretch of ocean that separates Melbourne and Tasmania. A Trident is often held by gods of the sea in mythology.
Marketable, unique

Doesn’t really fit in with the league, too American sounding
UNITEDTasmania will only ever be a one team state. It will be the job of those crafting the identity of the Tasmania Football Club to showcase a team that represents an entire state. There is no more of a directly on the nose option in that regard than ‘Tasmania United’.
Safe option

Safe option, lame, not unique, soulless
NO NICKNAME. JUST TASMANIA FOOTBALL CLUBSimilar to the prior point, as Tasmania FC needs to represent an entire state, the club may elect not to ascribe an offical nickname, rather choosing to let it grow over time until one sticks.
Allows for an evolving brand, safe option, builds own identity

Safe option, disappointing

NAMEWHYPROSCONS
TASSIE DEVILSTasmania’s most famous non extinct animal, the Tasmanian Devil, is a ferocious carnivore. Tasmania’s State Mammal is a unique and easily identifiable symbol of locality.Marketable, great mascot, distinctively Tasmanian, obvious choiceSimilar to Demons, obvious choice
RANGERSTasmania is an island of vast bushland, in early settlement convicts were sent out into the wilderness as bushrangers to forage for food.Unique, Australiana, wide-casting, promotes Tasmania’s wilderness
MAPSThe anointed nickname for Tasmania’s State of Origin team by its players (or so I’ve heard). References the map of Tasmania that is on the jumper’s chest.Heritage based, symbolic, unique
SPIRITSA dual meaning, references the state run cruise service that travels between Melbourne and Tasmania, as well as Port Arthur Prison, a popular tourist destination and claimed most haunted place in AustraliaUnique, room for creativity
OWLSThe Tasmanian Masked Owl is a native bird endemic to Tasmania, living in the state’s vast forests and bushland. The masked owl is a mysterious nocturnal hunter equipped with a large set of sharp talons.
Very cool mascot, very badass, marketable, left field native animal, at night games there could be an owl keeper that comes out with owls on his arm.

There are no cons

TRIDENTS
A reference to the Bass Strait stretch of ocean that separates Melbourne and Tasmania. A Trident is often held by gods of the sea in mythology.
Marketable, unique

UNITEDTasmania will only ever be a one team state. It will be the job of those crafting the identity of the Tasmania Football Club to showcase a team that represents an entire state. There is no more of a directly on the nose option in that regard than ‘Tasmania United’.
Safe option

NO NICKNAME. JUST TASMANIA FOOTBALL CLUBSimilar to the prior point, as Tasmania FC needs to represent an entire state, the club may elect not to ascribe an offical nickname, rather choosing to let it grow over time until one sticks.

Wow! Nice work. ;)

NAMEWHYPROSCONS

There are no cons

TRIDENTS
Marketable, unique

Safe option

Owls is sick, would share the same nickname as Sheffield Wednesday. Rare bird of prey in world sport and given there is a very cool looking owl endemic to the state you could create some very nice, unique and aesthetic on-brand content and apparel for the team.

The table in general is very good, appreciate the effort. Always exciting when a new team is added.

Owls is sick, would share the same nickname as Sheffield Wednesday. Rare bird of prey in world sport and given there is a very cool looking owl endemic to the state you could create some very nice, unique and aesthetic on-brand content and apparel for the team.

The table in general is very good, appreciate the effort. Always exciting when a new team is added.

Owls wouldn't be any good.

Too many night games!!!!! :oops:

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back