Opinion Nickname

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the more contentious topics when it comes to a potential Tasmanian AFL team. The "Devils" is one that's thrown around a lot for obvious reasons but I'm very interested to hear what others think.

I have heard "Van Diemons" suggested as well but I highly doubt the AFL would allow it with the Demons already being in the league. Maybe they go really left field like the NBL and go with something similar to their "JackJumpers"...

What do you guys think?

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well as discussed in the other thread, I think idea of having Devils and Demons in one league creates some brand differentiation issues.

I think the most important thing in a good sports team name is that it strikes fear into the hearts of the opponents. Something scary and fierce. Some its worked-up supporters can scream with gusto.

Take the Swans. No one's scared of Swans. It sounds like a ballet troupe. So they became known as the Bloods.

There's already too many birds in the league, so if we're going for native species, how about... the Tassie Copperheads?

I feel like if Port Adelaide can be something abstract as "Power," then maybe we could give a sly nod to how long the AFL's taken to give Tassie its own side with something like Tassie Vengeance.

I wouldn't be opposed to Pirates, but it doesn't really speak to Tassie heritage, and it makes me think of 5 year old dress up parties.

Its been more than 15 year since I lived in Tassie, but my memories of the Hobart mall are filled with pasty kids in Marilyn Manson and NIN tshirts. So I reckon the Tassie Goths, although a bit polarising I accept, would at least be accurate and unique. :laughing:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I feel like if Port Adelaide can be something abstract as "Power," then maybe we could give a sly nod to how long the AFL's taken to give Tassie its own side with something like Tassie Vengeance.

You'd end up with a similar issue to what West Coast had with their theme song. Originally it was all about all the best WA talent coming home instead of being snapped up by Victorian clubs, but after the draft and equalisation measures had changed the makeup of the league (not to mention a second team based in WA), it didn't really make sense anymore. After 10 or 20 years of a Tasmanian footy club no one's going to care about the AFL dragging their feet.

I don't think there's any issue with having Devils and Demons in the same league, since everyone knows the Tasmanian Devil is a small marsupial and a Demon is a supernatural being. There's no issue having very similar creatures like Hawks and Eagles, Magpies and Crows, Lions and Tigers. It's simple and obvious, creating the identity for an enduring thing like a football club isn't something where you want to think outside the box.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the Devils is fine as long as all our iconography refers to the marsupial and we dont make references to the supernatural one.

The Tasmanian Devil is not supernatural.

Its a noisy bone crunching little bugger.

They've made Disney enterprises a fortune over the years.

The Devils were quite crook for a while, but they're making a come back now.

Just in time it seems. ;)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Look, tbh I want to see a Tassie team so much I don't care if they're called The Daisies or The Windowdressing, I'll still support them.

But I can just imagine that first Devils vs Demons game, and I can imagine wishing the commentators had a more distinct set of nomenclature to refer to the opponents by.

Sorry, I just don't get it.

Cats v Lions doesn't seem to worry them. Its Geelong v Brisbane.

Devils v Demons. It'd be Tasmania v Melbourne.

What's so hard about that?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Tasmania, Tassie and the 'T' guernsey are strong enough brands - the team doesn't need a nickname.

If they want something more, go 'Tasmania United'. North and south united and united against the mainland.
On the guernsey, I hope we dont use the "Map". Need something original. This is not a state of origin team, but a team based in Tasmania. I think the opinion on this will be split.

I am not against the map on the collar ala "SMFC" on the Swans. But use the Crows and Eagles as templates on how to make a state team in the AFL.

Nickname is going to be Devils.

tassiemagpie

Debutant
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't the AFL TM the "devils" nickname hence why the NBL went with the JJ nickname, I could be dreaming that I read this somewhere

Back