Opinion Nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the complaint that the ‘Tassie Devils’ name is dated/old. FFS, that’s the best part. We’re an old footy state, one of the OGs. It’s better having a name with history. It’s why we want our own team to begin with. We have our own history that wouldn’t mesh with whatever supplanted carcass of a club remained. ‘Tasmania Wild’ sounds like a beverage ‘Southern …. Insert whatever’ already sounds like a team ready to jump ship to wherever the afl deem suitable.

Last edited:

Devils is crap and looks/sounds/feels way too similar to Demons.

Tasmania United is a better name and has a meaning as it's the entire state (both cities) united behind one team, which is unique to AFL.

This is pretty much exactly why Tasmanians shouldn't listen to anyone interstate on the issue.

I hate the complaint that the ‘Tassie Devils’ name is dated/old. FFS, that’s the best part. We’re an old footy state, one of the OGs. It’s better having a name with history. It’s why we want our own team to begin with. We have our own history that wouldn’t mesh with whatever supplanted carcass of a club remained. ‘Tasmania Wild’ sounds like a beverage ‘Southern …. Insert whatever’ already sounds like a team ready to jump ship to wherever the afl deem suitable.
Your opinion. Though, thanks for belittling mine and the OP of the idea.

I thought that it was a nice broad reference to the entire state. Encompassing the wilds of the SW, the wild highlands, the wild winds and ocean, the wild crowds that will one day rock up. The wild rivalry between Launceston and Hobart. The other unique flora and fauna, that at least have the option of being captured as a mascot. The separation of demons and devils nomenclature.

Yeah you might be an old footy state. But that didnt get you a team in the past did it? You will also be the youngest AFL team once it comes in...
What ever the name is I'm sure it will be well received by a footy loving state, who're well over due for some representation. I was just enjoying the idea sharing.

Tassie Devils seems the only name that'll get over the line.

Coming from a Demons fan, it's not too similar... it's an animal.

Also even if they are called the Devils, that could set up some nice rivalries with the Demons and the Saints.

Thylacine's
Wolves
Devils
Mariners
Paddymelons
Wombats
Roosters

Plenty of options but lock in the Devils

Surely Tasmania United would be up there? Solves a few issues around Launie vs Hobart and its strong, traditional sporting branding.

We've had enough clubs running away from their heritage, or with generic nothing names. Footscray, Kangaroos tried it, GWS, WCE.

Tasmanian Devils name is hardly 'old'. It was used for a few years with the Tassie NBL, then the VFL team.

The name is a natural fit, is iconic & certainly better than the list of non Australian nicknames we already have. Cats, Dogs, Tigers etc.

We've had enough clubs running away from their heritage, or with generic nothing names. Footscray, Kangaroos tried it, GWS, WCE.

Tasmanian Devils name is hardly 'old'. It was used for a few years with the Tassie NBL, then the VFL team.

The name is a natural fit, is iconic & certainly better than the list of non Australian nicknames we already have. Cats, Dogs, Tigers etc.
To me it sounds like a state team, it says our league isn't good enough to compete, we need the whole state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it sounds like a state team, it says our league isn't good enough to compete, we need the whole state.

Really? I have no idea why you'd imagine that. WA Sandgropers, SA Crows, Vic 'Vics', NSW Blues, Qld Banana benders, Tas 'Tassie' is about all I can think of in state footy terms.

Its never been associated with a state team that I can recall. Only clubs in NBL. VFL competitions.

Really? I have no idea why you'd imagine that. WA Sandgropers, SA Crows, Vic 'Vics', NSW Blues, Qld Banana benders, Tas 'Tassie' is about all I can think of in state footy terms.

Its never been associated with a state team that I can recall. Only clubs in NBL. VFL competitions.
Are you saying all those teams play in the AFL?

Tassie (if that's their name) will be the only team in the league with a state name, West Coast is closest, but could be west coast of anywhere.

So every time you win something, I can imagine, "yeah but you needed a state side to do it"

Are you saying all those teams play in the AFL?

Tassie (if that's their name) will be the only team in the league with a state name, West Coast is closest, but could be west coast of anywhere.

So every time you win something, I can imagine, "yeah but you needed a state side to do it"

No, they are what we use to nickname state teams. Devils was never a state team name.

Tassie, Tasmania is fine to use as the clubs official name. Most clubs identify with some suburb or city. We'll only ever have 1 team, so why not identify that way? Western Bulldogs, WCE certainly don't for some reason. Any future NT side will be called NT for the same reason.

People can think or say what they like about a 'State' team, who cares?

No, they are what we use to nickname state teams. Devils was never a state team name.

Tassie, Tasmania is fine to use as the clubs official name. Most clubs identify with some suburb or city. We'll only ever have 1 team, so why not identify that way? Western Bulldogs, WCE certainly don't for some reason. Any future NT side will be called NT for the same reason.

People can think or say what they like about a 'State' team, who cares?
Go for it, I don't care, but you're using a state league to play against suburban teams.

You might not think it now, but it will be used to heckle, you win and it will be, "you needed a state team to do it" you lose and it will be, "you may as well fold, your whole state can't beat a suburban team"

Go for it, I don't care, but you're using a state league to play against suburban teams.

You might not think it now, but it will be used to heckle, you win and it will be, "you needed a state team to do it" you lose and it will be, "you may as well fold, your whole state can't beat a suburban team"

Heckle! Wow that'll stuff the team. Hahahaha!!!

Mate, the 'suburban' teams are professional clubs, some bankrolled by the AFL, some, not so much. All rely on the national draft, salary cap & other equalisation methods.

Anyway I'm sure you can find a more sensible talking point than this!

Heckle! Wow that'll stuff the team. Hahahaha!!!

Mate, the 'suburban' teams are professional clubs, some bankrolled by the AFL, some, not so much. All rely on the national draft, salary cap & other equalisation methods.

Anyway I'm sure you can find a more sensible talking point than this!
Oh so now i'm not allowed an opinion?

Supporters gunna be snowflakes are they?

What? You talked about supporters heckling, then its about you not being allowed on opinion?

WTF are you on about? Its BF everyone has an opinion & anyone can answer.

Grow up.
Yeah, but whenever any one talks to you about anything, you seem to get on your high horse.

Why do I need to find something more sensible to talk about?
I think using Tasmania is wrong, you don't, but now it's not sensible.

Maybe it is just to sensitive for you, I hope they put cages at your new ground to keep other supporters from getting near you, I would hate you getting scared.

Yeah, but whenever any one talks to you about anything, you seem to get on your high horse.

Why do I need to find something more sensible to talk about?
I think using Tasmania is wrong, you don't, but now it's not sensible.

Maybe it is just to sensitive for you, I hope they put cages at your new ground to keep other supporters from getting near you, I would hate you getting scared.

Thats not what you started arguing. You were on about heckling.

Sure, have an opinion, but others do too. Anyway, if not Tasmania, then what else? Great Southern Land?? (great club song; :)) I don't think we want another name like Western Bulldogs, or WCE. Boring.

Its about having a geographic name, like Adelaide, Sydney, Gold coast. Even the NRL have a team North Queensland, not Townsville where its from, but thats the broader area it represents.

Thats not what you started arguing. You were on about heckling.

Sure, have an opinion, but others do too. Anyway, if not Tasmania, then what else? Great Southern Land?? (great club song; :)) I don't think we want another name like Western Bulldogs, or WCE. Boring.

Its about having a geographic name, like Adelaide, Sydney, Gold coast. Even the NRL have a team North Queensland, not Townsville where its from, but thats the broader area it represents.
I'm arguing about using a state name when no other club in the
country do that.

I suppose Tassie need to to get support, call it Hobart and the North get upset, call it Launceston ant the south get upset.

Maybe we could even the comp up to 20 and call it Victoria, get a side that represents the country?

I'm arguing about using a state name when no other club in the
country do that.

I suppose Tassie need to to get support, call it Hobart and the North get upset, call it Launceston ant the south get upset.

Maybe we could even the comp up to 20 and call it Victoria, get a side that represents the country?

So as I asked, what do you want to call it?

Give us something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back