Opinion Nickname

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Build what?

I'm not sure what you're on about, but it appears the team will be based in Hobart & play home games in Hobart & Launceston.
So it's Hobart's team then. You said neither Hobart or Launceston will ever have a team. Which is it? Neiter or Hobart?

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
So it's Hobart's team then. You said neither Hobart or Launceston will ever have a team. Which is it? Neiter or Hobart?
I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend. The team will play games in both Hobart and Lanceston and will be called Tasmania — therefore it will represent the whole state.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd rather share anyway. There's a lot of patriotism that comes with being Tasmanian.

Parochialism applies to most of us one way or another.

540k Tasmanian plus a Government keen to be involved & get the tourist, media & community/social benefits of being in the Professional game, is just enough to get a team, 1 team.

I've said many a time IMO if the AFL was 14 or 16 teams, Tassie wouldn't get a gig.

By the time it got to 18, I believed it was a disgrace that we didn't get a team by then.

The AFL have used us & under supported the game here compared to other places for decades. Hence the game is its on its knees in Tasmania. Rentaclubs have contributed zilch to the health of footy here. Yet another reason we needed our own team to engage with the community, like everywhere else they are based.

I'd like to see them come up with something new & unique that hasn't been used before.

Devils is the obvious one but why be as expected ??

I'm not an expert on all things Tassie but surely there is something that the island state is known for but hasn't been used as a monkier for a sports team yet ??

There is a lizard in Tassie (it is elsewhere too) called a 'Rankinia' but it is best known as a 'Mountain Dragon' which may be something to use ??

Don't forget, they have a quoll and a large freshwater crayfish as well.
Southern Dragons has a nice ring to it.
This is the only serious option and I’d say the vast majority of Tasmanians agree on this. The branding here is very strong and one that all Tasmanians can really get behind.

With the greatest respect, it seems that a lot of the people who are against using the Devils name are mainlanders who won’t be supporting the club anyway. None of the alternative names suggested so far have a better connection to the state than the Devils and I’m sure this is why the AFL have already trademarked the name.
View attachment 1299406
This has to be the front runner and short priced favourite. You wouldn’t leave something so Tassie on the table just to be cute, surely?
Tasmanian Titans

Tasmanian Islanders
Titans crossed my mind as well. But then had me thinking that the HQ could look like this
1657164743678.jpeg

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
This is the only serious option and I’d say the vast majority of Tasmanians agree on this. The branding here is very strong and one that all Tasmanians can really get behind.

With the greatest respect, it seems that a lot of the people who are against using the Devils name are mainlanders who won’t be supporting the club anyway. None of the alternative names suggested so far have a better connection to the state than the Devils and I’m sure this is why the AFL have already trademarked the name.
View attachment 1299406
True. All the same Mainlanders who hate the name Jackjumpers but don't understand it.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
True. All the same Mainlanders who hate the name Jackjumpers but don't understand it.
Why is this brought up all the time by Tasmanians?

I have been looking at threads off and on, this is said with regularity, yet I notice Tasmanians can't agree on most things.

"If you aren't from Tasmania, you wouldn't know how cold it is"

Then: "I am from Tassie, it's cold and wet"

Then: "but if you don't live here now you wouldn't know"

It's hilarious, that's just 1 example, there are many, it's like you think mainlanders have never been there.

Anyway, it seems Devils is the choice of Tasmanians.

And before you all jump down my throat, I have been to Tassie, it's a beautiful place, I recommend it, if they get a team in the AFL, I recommend to all, get over there at least once if you can, watch your side, then go have a look around, just don't go telling them it's cold.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why is this brought up all the time by Tasmanians?

I have been looking at threads off and on, this is said with regularity, yet I notice Tasmanians can't agree on most things.

"If you aren't from Tasmania, you wouldn't know how cold it is"

Then: "I am from Tassie, it's cold and wet"

Then: "but if you don't live here now you wouldn't know"

It's hilarious, that's just 1 example, there are many, it's like you think mainlanders have never been there.

Anyway, it seems Devils is the choice of Tasmanians.

And before you all jump down my throat, I have been to Tassie, it's a beautiful place, I recommend it, if they get a team in the AFL, I recommend to all, get over there at least once if you can, watch your side, then go have a look around, just don't go telling them it's cold.

Its a bit like going to Darwin & complaining about the heat/humidity. Or going to Melbourne/Sydney & moaning about the traffic. All silly & pointless.

Just rug up & enjoy the difference.

Indeed, wherever you go, enjoy the differences & the sights.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its a bit like going to Darwin & complaining about the heat/humidity. Or going to Melbourne/Sydney & moaning about the traffic. All silly & pointless.

Just rug up & enjoy the difference.

Indeed, wherever you go, enjoy the differences & the sights.
But I don't hear people from Darwin telling me, "what would you know, you don't live here"

And then argue with someone who does live there, hilarious.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
But I don't hear people from Darwin telling me, "what would you know, you don't live here"

And then argue with someone who does live there, hilarious.
Tasmanians are just stoic defenders of their realm, you wouldn't understand the feeling though. You're not from here.

But seriously, when living in Melbourne I used to hear two really stupid opinions:

It always rains in Hobart.

The Jackjumpers is a crap name.

Last edited:
Back