Toast Nicky Winmar inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Hard to see him in the Bulldogs jumper for his 250th. Was an absolute star and a great of our football club. Very few players have played for the Saints that were better.

I was overseas in 1999 so I didn't have to witness the horror of seeing Winmar wearing a Bulldogs jumper, I can just pretend it never happened.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
This is the very definition of what "running on top of the ground" actually looks like.....(even though it's a dumb expression).

63520010.jpg

Tim Watson takes the blame for this one.

The media got stuck into the saints after he lost it when we were playing Carlton. They kind of forced our hand calling for his sacking and we were too weak to hold our nerve.

The Jack

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
His mark on the members wing at Moorabbin against Essendon I think, around 1987 is the greatest mark I’ve ever seen.
Very limited footage of it. So unfortunate.
Would love someone to find it. I can’t. Was on a Footy club video from around that time, with Johnny Farnham singing “Playing to win”

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
My avatar was my idol growing up, he destroyed the opposition every week.

But if you ask me about actual memories that come to my mind from watching footy as a kid, it's Winmar taking hangers, Winmar kicking barrels from the wing, Winmar putting on the jets, the certainty of Winmar hitting targets.

And when I was a kid I met him a few times. He couldn't be nicer, and this was before all the media training they have today. A genuine man who's changed this country for the better.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
His mark on the members wing at Moorabbin against Essendon I think, around 1987 is the greatest mark I’ve ever seen.
Very limited footage of it. So unfortunate.
Would love someone to find it. I can’t. Was on a Footy club video from around that time, with Johnny Farnham singing “Playing to win”
I recall that as well. Magic.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
I watch how people move, whether playing sport or on the street. I don't know why, its instinctual, but I always have.

Nicky is my favorite player of all time because he played a hard, brutal, endurance, collision sport, sometimes in appalling conditions, like a ballet dancer. The grace and fluidity with which he moved, whether taking a speccy, picking the ball up on the run, weaving through players or kicking, made the efforts of others look like hard work, which it is, compared to his effortless dance through time and space. Nicky took the sport of footy to an artistic level. You can't teach that, or copy it. I'm forever grateful that I watched the GOAT doing his stuff while wearing a Saints guernsey.

It is unjust, actually bloody tragic really, that the legends of the Saints teams of that era didn't win a flag because they played thrilling, entertaining and exciting footy and deserved one. I hope his induction as a legend of the game offers some consolation and reward for his contribution to our game and our club.

Thankyou Nicky Winmar and congratulations!!!

Love all the stories and words about Nicky. I should try find a couple old photos I have when I was younger, shitting myself in the grandstand at Moorabbin waiting for his autograph after a football clinic. It's crazy how these well known people have such a huge impact on people's lives without even knowing it.

Back