Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
It's a disgrace that it is still sitting in storage and that there is talk from WA that they don't want it at Optus Stadium, or at least they don't want it to be the first statue.
What an absolute joke. Don't want it to be the first statue? Why the bloody hell not, and what difference does it make anyway??

I'd love the statue at Moorabbin but realistically a lot more people would see it at the Perth Stadium, and this kind of thing suggests they might need it more than anyone.

What an absolute joke. Don't want it to be the first statue? Why the bloody hell not, and what difference does it make anyway??

I'd love the statue at Moorabbin but realistically a lot more people would see it at the Perth Stadium, and this kind of thing suggests they might need it more than anyone.

They're hung up on him simply because he played in Victoria so they feel like we're encroaching on their state pride. Disregarding that Cuz is from WA, was the first indigenous person to notch 250 games in the AFL and according to quite a few, the moment depicted was the start of the conversational change in how the first peoples were talked to, about and respected.

Then you add the whole "but it's polarising" and it's a hot potato no one wants to make a call on.

Seriously!!!!!
They have a statue of a Stkilda icon and they arent quite sure what they are doing with it.
Meanwhile we are building our new training facility and it needs to refurbished outside.
Hmmmm

How about our new mega rich President buys it for all the long suffering Saints supporters and puts it at the entrance of the new digs.
He would be extremely popular if he did.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
im pretty sure its not in storage ....
the last i heard about it Nicky was with the artist looking at the small scale version of it where they were making the final decisions on the look of it ... ive seen a photo of one of the proofs that would infuriate us as the jumper he has on is not a st kilda one but a generic one tone jumper instead of the three panel jumper to represent our jumper ... ..

the talk about it not being the first one is from what i hear the stadium is going to have up to 6 statues around it to signify sport in WA Nicky is one of them , Polly Farmer another, Haydn Bunton another, Dennis Lillee is also in consideration there is literally a list a mile long in consideration for statues ... so its not a diss to Nicky i think its more they are planing on spacing them out over a couple of years ...

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seriously!!!!!
They have a statue of a Stkilda icon and they arent quite sure what they are doing with it.
Meanwhile we are building our new training facility and it needs to refurbished outside.
Hmmmm

How about our new mega rich President buys it for all the long suffering Saints supporters and puts it at the entrance of the new digs.
He would be extremely popular if he did.
it depends on who has comissioned it .... i think it was comissioned by the AFL on behalf of the WA government .. the details are sketchy depending on who you ask you get a differant answer

it depends on who has comissioned it .... i think it was comissioned by the AFL on behalf of the WA government .. the details are sketchy depending on who you ask you get a differant answer
It's kind of funny that they picked Nicky really.
Yes he may be a proud West Australian but he played 90 games in the WAFL as a very promising youngster and then 250 for Victorian teams.
He was overlooked by the Eagles and became one of the Saints greatest ever players.
And his most iconic moment ( the jumper lift) was done in Victoria in a game with two Victorian clubs playing.
Be a bit like us having a statue of Roy Cazalys great mark for sth melb at our ground cos he also played at StKilda.
The Winmar statue would've made more sense if it was organised for placement in Victoria

Last edited:

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's kind of funny that they picked Nicky really.
Yes he may be a proud West Australian but he played 90 games in the WAFL as a very promising youngster and then 250 for Victorian teams.
He was overlooked by the Eagles and became one of the Saints greatest ever players.
And his most iconic moment ( the jumper lift) was done in Victoria in a game with two Victorian clubs playing.
Be a bit like us having a statue of Roy Cazalys great mark for sth melb at our ground cos he also played at StKilda.
The Winmar statue would've made more sense if it was organised for placement in Victoria
while you are correct about Nicky being more a Victorian figure as the majority of his football prowess was on display in Victoria the thing you are missing is the HUGE impact Nicky had on the WA indig population after his stance ... the issue Nicky was standing up against was far from being a Victorian issue only the same issues were happening here in the west so when Nicky took his stance that resonated through across the country even across codes... so yes what Nicky did in the Saints jumper is our history as St Kilda people it is also very much part of the WA indig peoples history as well..
i clearly remember at the time of Nicky making that stance, i was only 11 years old and going through my own issues around the way i was being treated in my chosen sport because of my ethnic background and seeing the way the indig guys were being treated, looking back now im ashamed to say that even i was part of the problem as it was an easier way to deflect the crap off me onto the indig boys then stand up to it .. when Nicky made that stand that changed everything the indig guys who supported WCE also supported Nicky Winmar (not so much St Kilda but Winmar definatly) he was(still is) their hero their champion and even though my experiance with racisim in sport was differant then that of the indig boys he was also my hero and my champion... and this was the case for a huge portion of WA so i can understand how being in Victoria you might not get that Nicky's career would be that big here in WA but it certainly is very big and hugely influencial in my state.

while you are correct about Nicky being more a Victorian figure as the majority of his football prowess was on display in Victoria the thing you are missing is the HUGE impact Nicky had on the WA indig population after his stance ... the issue Nicky was standing up against was far from being a Victorian issue only the same issues were happening here in the west so when Nicky took his stance that resonated through across the country even across codes... so yes what Nicky did in the Saints jumper is our history as St Kilda people it is also very much part of the WA indig peoples history as well..
i clearly remember at the time of Nicky making that stance, i was only 11 years old and going through my own issues around the way i was being treated in my chosen sport because of my ethnic background and seeing the way the indig guys were being treated, looking back now im ashamed to say that even i was part of the problem as it was an easier way to deflect the crap off me onto the indig boys then stand up to it .. when Nicky made that stand that changed everything the indig guys who supported WCE also supported Nicky Winmar (not so much St Kilda but Winmar definatly) he was(still is) their hero their champion and even though my experiance with racisim in sport was differant then that of the indig boys he was also my hero and my champion... and this was the case for a huge portion of WA so i can understand how being in Victoria you might not get that Nicky's career would be that big here in WA but it certainly is very big and hugely influencial in my state.
Yes good post. And it all makes sense.
But there are plenty of Aboriginals in Victoria as well though.

Need 2 statues I think:D

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes good post. And it all makes sense.
But there are plenty of Aboriginals in Victoria as well though.

Need 2 statues I think:D
personally i would rather a Harvey statue at Moorabbin... a Plugger statue at the MCG... a Winmar statue at Optus Stadium

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a farce, you create a statue to honor Nicky's stand against racism and then you treat the statue and its placement worse than how Winmar was treated in the first place.
Unfortunately you cannot place the statue at the MCG. All statues in that precinct have to be directly related to the MCG itself - whether it be the person or related to an event or an incident that took place at the MCG.
Victoria Park would have been the best place but it is no longer a venue worthy of having a statue there - run down and no longer the headquarters for the Pies. The statue would be largely unseen and probably exposed to vandalism.
Moorabbin would probably be the best location. In honor of a great player for the Saints and who had the guts to stand up against racist dickheads.
Even though Nicky came from and now resides in WA the new stadium in WA deserves a fresh start. Any statues there should probably be related to Freo or Eagles players or some of the early WA greats. Alternatively if you wanted to have several statues in a honor roll of great WA footballers you could include a Winmar statue in that, just not this one as it relates to a specific significant incident. 'Honor roll' statues I believe should be some sort of standard pose so that one statue doesn't stand out from others and doesn't detract from the purpose of honoring the footballers themselves.

personally i would rather a Harvey statue at Moorabbin... a Plugger statue at the MCG... a Winmar statue at Optus Stadium

Surely first consideration is Barks, then Banger then Doc.

Plugger at the G sounds great, can be parked next to the lock up, chest proud and angry glare like he wanted to murder a backman. :thumbsu:

What a farce, you create a statue to honor Nicky's stand against racism and then you treat the statue and its placement worse than how Winmar was treated in the first place.
Its actually got nothing to do with the StKilda Football Club. From what ive read it was a Joint venture between the AFL and Western Australian Football.
Most StKilda supporters and im guessing most football supporters think it would make more sense for the Statue to be at Moorabbin.
But whatever happens its never going to be worse than how Winmar was treated in the first place.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its actually got nothing to do with the StKilda Football Club. From what ive read it was a Joint venture between the AFL and Western Australian Football.
Most StKilda supporters and im guessing most football supporters think it would make more sense for the Statue to be at Moorabbin.
But whatever happens its never going to be worse than how Winmar was treated in the first place.
Sad really isn't it.

Good intention for a noble stance against racism turned into a shambles. Nicky deserves better than this.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately you cannot place the statue at the MCG. All statues in that precinct have to be directly related to the MCG itself - whether it be the person or related to an event or an incident that took place at the MCG.
Victoria Park would have been the best place but it is no longer a venue worthy of having a statue there - run down and no longer the headquarters for the Pies. The statue would be largely unseen and probably exposed to vandalism.
Moorabbin would probably be the best location. In honor of a great player for the Saints and who had the guts to stand up against racist dickheads.
Even though Nicky came from and now resides in WA the new stadium in WA deserves a fresh start. Any statues there should probably be related to Freo or Eagles players or some of the early WA greats. Alternatively if you wanted to have several statues in a honor roll of great WA footballers you could include a Winmar statue in that, just not this one as it relates to a specific significant incident. 'Honor roll' statues I believe should be some sort of standard pose so that one statue doesn't stand out from others and doesn't detract from the purpose of honoring the footballers themselves.
where Nicky took his stand doesnt matter the fact is he could have done the same thing at any venue in the country as he and the other indig boys continuiosly copped crap from over the fence ... the fact that the collingwood ferals pushed him and McAdam over the edge that day is not mark in the signifigance of the shithole that is and was Victoria Park if Victoria Park want a peice of history around that moment then they should get a statue of their ugly supporters who's behaviour and actions caused Nicky to make a stand ... that mob are the villans in that peice of history and should only ever be remembered in that light.
as for the MCG i also think that the Winmar statue wouldnt fit there either
with the statue in Perth it will be part of a memorial of West Australian sporting achievment not just football prowess , Nickys statue would be there to represent the contribution to sport the Noongar people have contributed and by having it as his most famous pose is also a show of the pride Nicky has for his Noongar heritage and that of all Indig people should have to stand up against racism .... and if im being compleatly honest if ever there was a group that needs a constant reminder of this its the WA football going public

i like the idea of moorabbin having a number of statues and monuments. its what DC in the states have done so well. same with london. add to it over a long period of time, a slow burn.

i think there are more applicable candidates for optus stadium. stephen michael is probably the big one given he overturned the VFL offers to play outside his state. the others are barry cable, polly farmer to name a few. if you want a modern example, david wirra, who does a lot of charity work in the community.

i'd really like to see more of the WAFL history on display at optus stadium to keep the connection alive.

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wasn't directing my comments to the St Kilda FC - sorry if this is how it was interpreted.
When I said "you create a statue" it was in the general sense of who created it - in this case the AFL.
If you read my post you see my abhorence of the racism that Winwar was subjected to that day.
However if you are going to create a statue commemorating the incident with the pose and feel uncomfortable about where it is to be placed or embarrassed by the dilema this creates, it begs the question - what has truly been learnt since the incident occurred?
If you are creating a statue for tokenism sake then yes I believe it is worse than what originally occurred and nothing has been learned or gained.

Last edited:

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
No disrespect, they are all great players, but that is a lot of statues for a club with such little success.
Surely there are other players who should be commemorated first - besides, do they have enough bronze to cast a Plugger statue?;)

Last edited:

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a disgrace that it is still sitting in storage and that there is talk from WA that they don't want it at Optus Stadium, or at least they don't want it to be the first statue.
Management at Optus Stadium rightly or wrongly don't want the ground to be identified as a purely football oval, and prefer it be known as an entertainment venue, thus no WAFL or cricket memorabilia anywhere to be seen. That may change, but that was their view.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i like the idea of moorabbin having a number of statues and monuments. its what DC in the states have done so well. same with london. add to it over a long period of time, a slow burn.

i think there are more applicable candidates for optus stadium. stephen michael is probably the big one given he overturned the VFL offers to play outside his state. the others are barry cable, polly farmer to name a few. if you want a modern example, david wirra, who does a lot of charity work in the community.

i'd really like to see more of the WAFL history on display at optus stadium to keep the connection alive.
Wirra being a victorian born might provent him ... but Barry Cable, Stephen Michael and Polly Farmer certainly would not be out of place

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
No disrespect, they are all great players, but that is a lot of statues for a club with such little success.
Surely there are other players who should be commemorated first - besides, do they have enough bronze to cast a Plugger statue?;)
i would think Harvey our games record holder would be worthy at our home venue
i would think Plugger the record holder of the most goals kicked in the game would be worthy (although it would prob be him in a swans jumper)

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Management at Optus Stadium rightly or wrongly don't want the ground to be identified as a purely football oval, and prefer it be known as an entertainment venue, thus no WAFL or cricket memorabilia anywhere to be seen. That may change, but that was their view.
i believe the thoughts were not to have a MCG like museum there but they certainly enquired about haveing a "walkway of legends" to comemerate WA people i think everyone assumes it to be footballers but it could well be any WA achiever

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
i believe the thoughts were not to have a MCG like museum there but they certainly enquired about haveing a "walkway of legends" to comemerate WA people i think everyone assumes it to be footballers but it could well be any WA achiever
Further than that at the time they saw no connection between any WAFL legend and the stadium but that could be said about any prominent past WA sporting personality.

Back