Toast Nicky Winmar statue to be unveiled at Optus Stadium on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me, having lived in both places, that it would do more good in Perth.
i gotta agree ... i think Perth needs a bit of a reminder about the stand against racisim .... some WA football fans i think have forgotten this and need a somewhat behaviour adjustment

https://westernsaintsinc.wordpress.com/2019/06/25/143/

this Saturday we will see the unveiling of the Nicky Winmar statue on the banks of the Swan River overlooking Optus stadium .. The Western Saints with invitation from the WA Premiers office, The WA Government and the AFL have been invited to be part of the celebration of the unveiling of this important statue ..
The Western Saints invite all Saints fans (and supporters of Nicky) to join us on the East Perth side of the Matagarup Bridge as we march as one to the unveiling ...

I wish it was at Moorabbin :(

Wish it was unveiled at a Saints game at least...
so do we but unfortunatly the fixtures didnt line up ... the statue is being unveild to coincide with the start of NAIDOC week here in WA .. it is on the same day as the WCE vs Freo derby but the event itself starting at noon will be totally seperate from the game starting at 6pm ..

it was decided on Perth for a few reasons ..
1. Nicky prefered it there as his family would be able to see it
2. The WA government payed for a large % of it
3. Nicky being a Noongar man having his statue placed on Noongar land was appropriate

Can't argue with any of that really. Just wish we had a way to pay tribute from a Saints perspective to one of our finest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching 360 tonight and they had the great Nicky Winmar on as they are unveiling his statue in Perth on Saturday. I was a little disappointed that it isn't at its natural home at Moorabbin until he said he wanted it to be there for his family to enjoy.

I have so many memories as a 17 year old going to Moorrabbin when he first arrived. In those days I went to every Victorian game and the odd interstate so saw so many of his games live.

As you get older you start to wonder if you imagined your youth, was it really just a dream.

Well I'm 10 mins into this 58 min highlights package and apparently no memory loss as yet! What a legend.

What a magnificent football player and we were so lucky he was ours. It may be in Perth but I'll get there one day and drape a St Kilda scarf over his neck because I will never ever ever forget he is a Saint!

Winmar to Lockett how i loved that piece of art.

From the photo, it appears that the jumper is fairly nondescript. Almost generic.
Which would be a pity as that event is big in our club’s history.
yeah i havent seen the finished product but i think they went with a generic jumper design... its a bit like how the official photos of the actual event have the club logo digitally removed from it .. its all legal stuff that go's over my head.. at the end of the day we know the jumper he was in and we will pass that mesage down the generations

Me too. It's also almost a shame he played when he did, would have thrived in today's footy.
A mix between Chris Judd and Tim Kelly? Yes please.
with a bit of Howe with his marking ability ...

i dont quiet understand that ?? was Chris Lewis of a Boonwurrung herriatage ? (yes i googled the tribe that was around the Moorabbin area)..
No.
I was just being a smart arse.
If W.A can have a great Stkilda aboriginal player immortalized in a statue then we can have one of theirs over here. :drunk:

Met Chris Lewis a few times many yrs ago.
Seemed like a top bloke. Ripper of a player.

yeah i havent seen the finished product but i think they went with a generic jumper design... its a bit like how the official photos of the actual event have the club logo digitally removed from it .. its all legal stuff that go's over my head.. at the end of the day we know the jumper he was in and we will pass that mesage down the generations
P1ss poor.
Very disappointed in that outcome.
I cannot imagine the club not allowing it’s jumper and crest being used given the celebration of Winmar within our ranks.
That decision has devalued the whole point of the statue and the statement it is supposed to be honouring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back