Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread starter #1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black JuJu

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely should not be placed at Perth Stadium.

There are plenty of amazing moments and achievements in WA sport without needing to transplant this to Perth.

If they do insist on putting up statues for people who never actually played a game at the new stadium, at least focus on players who played the majority of the career in the West.

As far as it from some kind of amazing ‘Racism in Sport’ moment...fine...put out the front of Victoria Park.

wal

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC

There are plenty of amazing moments and achievements in WA sport without needing to transplant this to Perth.

If they do insist on putting up statues for people who never actually played a game at the new stadium, at least focus on players who played the majority of the career in the West.

As far as it from some kind of amazing ‘Racism in Sport’ moment...fine...put out the front of Victoria Park.
Nicky is a proud Nyoongar, statue should accessible to all Nyoongar people.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jukesy85

Team Captain
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers and Giants, U of Wisconsin

I gotta agree with this...I have no problems with Winmar and what he did being displayed with a statue, but surely there are more fitting people to be given a statue at the new stadium over here - Pavlich, Jakovich, Worsfold, Matera, Farmer, Cable, Lillee, Marsh, Barnett etc.

wal

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
I gotta agree with this...I have no problems with Winmar and what he did being displayed with a statue, but surely there are more fitting people to be given a statue at the new stadium over here - Pavlich, Jakovich, Worsfold, Matera, Farmer, Cable, Lillee, Marsh, Barnett etc.
None of those ever played at the stadium.

The Joker

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is not about the man, rather the moment and what it stood/stands for. The sooner people come to grips with that, the better off this thread will be!

The Joker

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
The jumper he was wearing that day is irrelevant. He raised it to say I am black, I am Noongar and proud.
Hold on, he said, "I'm black and I'm proud to be black", that was not a stand for just Noongar people and to say so shows little understanding of the point he was making!

Top Bottom