Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Remove this Banner Ad

So you’re white with claims to aboriginal ancestory! How do you measure your percentages which I have never heard before.
Are you telling us he was drunk, no. We’re you drinking? Ever been drunk? Why isn’t Winmar allowed to get on the piss?
Never lied? Everywhere you go you tell people you are aboriginal? Just put to much milk in the tea.
It is debatable if this is even a lie but because he was nice enough to have a drink and yarn with you pay back his generosity by running him down behind his back.
Wife beater is a bit extreme. Can’t condone him hitting his ex but wasn’t exactly a beating now was it? You take a strong tone against Nicky, perhaps it is jealousy.
As for Farmer he had his issues to so better so better not recognise the great man either.
Cable used to hide the fact he was aboriginal just like you do except for when it is convenient.
And bet my bottom dollar you never take up this issue with blackfellas.
If you claim you would or do I can easily arrange a meeting with Nicky and other Nyoongars of prominence who would be all ears as to what their black brother has to say. Particularly how you met out percentages and run your people down behind your keyboard.

1 grandmother on 1 side (full blooded) and 1 half-caste on the other side.
I wasn't drinking, Nicky was drunk, i was involved with the group. One of the other guys who knew him better was ribbing him about it, the storey came out, Nicky also later on took a swing (not at me) and was kicked out.
My Stepfather was a health inspector to the indigenous communities of the pilbara during the late eighties to mid nineties. I spent a lot of time amongst those communities.
My younger cousin was the aboriginal welfare officer at Curtin university.
I personally raised over 100k for a Save the Children campaign to help indigenous children.
Brother is about to be an officer in the army and was both a cop and a federal cop.
I served in the military during and after the Iraq war for six years.
I have met and talked to Barry on multiple occasions about his upbringing, footballing life and more in particular about the things he has had to do with WA football and indigenous health since.
Polly i never met.

Welcome for you to organise a meeting with as many Nyoongars of prominence as you like (in general they are the most racist and biased aboriginal group i have ever met) and I have had multiple meetings and discussions with a rather famous Nyoongar anthropologist and his opinion is that reverse racism is called for and the indigenous should have more rights than all other peoples of this country due to the atrocities of the past. No equality, no being one people of Australia, no integration only forever 1 group held above all others.

My aboriginal heritage is not Nyoongar, on either side and as such I am of no more similar heritage to Nicky as a black african from the Sudan is to one from Namibia. There was no singular Indigenous people of this country, no singular culture and no singular common language. Anyone saying otherwise is either ignorant, a liar, has an agenda, is after a handout or a combination of any number of those.

Lied many times, been drunk many times, taken a couple of beatings and given a few as well. I'm not perfect but Nicky Winwar in no way deserves a statue at the new Perth stadium and he shouldn't be held up as an idol of Racial significance for an act that was of no such thing whether that be in perth, melbourne, timbuktu or anywhere else. Just because someone misinterprets something doesn't make it right. Intent is everything and the action of withholding the truth is the same as lying.

On this issue i'll stand by everything I have said. Just because something was done to ancestors of yours hundreds of years ago doesn't give you the right to treat others like s**t when they have done no more wrong to you personally than anyone else. We are one people in this country and anybody not willing to accept or become apart of one people is holding the topics of race, family, country and community back.

Not sure whether I should but here goes....

About 23 years ago, when I was a uni student living with a few girlfriends of mine, just friends, another female friend was our local postie. Nicky Winmar got a job with Australia Post and I think it was in the news at the time. He was assigned to be trained by my friend. So, she brings him to my house when they were doing the round and surprised me. Of course, I was in awe when introduced and invited them in. Nicky quickly noticed the strange looking ceramic smoking device on the table and the herb like substance placed in the bowl next to it. He looked at me, I nodded and he helped himself to 3 in a row. He didn't say much and soon headed off to complete the post round. I think it was a Thursday or a Friday and a few days later I saw him on the TV playing the Swans in Sydney. Legend.
But he sure could play football.

It's a case of maybe an attempt to try and get some statues around the new stadium to give it some atmosphere rather than being this clean and soulless new bowl. They could have copied the Docklands for starters and named the ends after famous players when in Aussie Rules mode. Pavlich end and Sumich end or something. They named a wing after Mainwaring at Subi and a wing is named after Hayden ******* Ballantyne in Mandurah.

I agree that it should be outside Victoria Park.

Ballantyne's granny paid for that wing didn't she?

We are one people in this country and anybody not willing to accept or become apart of one people is holding the topics of race, family, country and community back.

That conflicts with the case for welfare. I foresee problems ahead as the number of people identifying as Aboriginal continues to rise. At the same time I acknowledge Aboriginals as a little bit "special", for want of a better word. A practical solution has eluded us for 200+ years and may well do so for another 200.

The first game of footy was played in WA, so I have no issues with the statue.

And yet...

Australian rules football was invented in Melbourne, Australia, in 1858. The first match identified as a direct precursor to the codification of Australian football was organised and umpired by Tom Wills and contested on 31 July between Melbourne Grammar School and Scotch College, adjacent to the Melbourne Cricket Ground at the Richmond Paddock. The oldest surviving set of rules of Australian rules football were drawn up on 17 May 1859, three days after the formation of the Melbourne Football Club.

Shiver me timbers..not sure about the personality of this thread but there is a lot of work to be done. Clearly some
have a lot of striving for equality and more for respect

Didn't cable have some nasty allegations made that had to be investigated
Yep, at the time I read the police brief and there were plenty of people in the legal fraternity who were shocked he wasn't charged.

Long time ago now, maybe later 1990's but from memory police investigated (thus the brief) but found there was insufficient evidence to charge even though the young girl had "recent complaint" evidence. The alleged incidents occurred probably 10 to 15 years earlier.

But he sure could play football.
Yes, he was a natural and I'm not intending to slight him in any way. It's a funny world and that herb like substance may even become a medicinal component of recovery in the future as the science being done on it has analysed many positives including it's anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe a THC chamber after the ice bath. Players will go home feeling a lot more relaxed after a physically demanding game. Better than pharmaceuticals in many ways and getting on the alcohol after a game. Who knows what the future will bring and only a few things in life are for sure. Death, taxes and more Richmond premierships.

Yes, he was a natural and I'm not intending to slight him in any way. It's a funny world and that herb like substance may even become a medicinal component of recovery in the future as the science being done on it has analysed many positives including it's anti-inflammatory properties. Maybe a THC chamber after the ice bath. Players will go home feeling a lot more relaxed after a physically demanding game. Better than pharmaceuticals in many ways and getting on the alcohol after a game. Who knows what the future will bring and only a few things in life are for sure. Death, taxes and more Richmond premierships.
so you are saying that they are 'dancing on the edge...?'or else that we should say that they are tryfic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id have the statue where it happened. Well at that ground/precinct.
Sort of a here is where someone took a stand memento. I like that symbolism.

Not at the 'G and not in Perth imo.
no why not? how does it happen to be relevant and worthy. otherwise I don't want it.

Played for Pingelly (I know, another one!) and was a local legend there. My mums boyfriend played with with him there growing up and its basically why he is a saints fan-from WA LOL. They lifelong friends to this day aswell.

Good to have a statue there of an iconic moment in OZ and something that would in general be DOPE AF to walk past going through the gates.

I actually really like this as a sort of linking from one side to another and letting a life from one side to another.

Dunno what Nicky wants but I kind of see it as his choosing as to what happens from here.

Just want indigenous people to grab the nettle and tell a story and not be sad but be glad.

Just telling people that we. are all glad to play the game and settle the differences.

so you are saying that they are 'dancing on the edge...?'or else that we should say that they are tryfic
Sorry Leeda, you've got me, don't know whether it's the THC but I had to google tryfic and only got one thing. A numerology analysis that makes being tryfic sound pretty cool though.

damn I was hoping to confuse everyone and tell you all to drive the bus in the other direction..
I've never said this to anyone before Leeda.......... but I find you.......well...........bloody tryfic man. Love you dude. Hug?

Yep, at the time I read the police brief and there were plenty of people in the legal fraternity who were shocked he wasn't charged.

Long time ago now, maybe later 1990's but from memory police investigated (thus the brief) but found there was insufficient evidence to charge even though the young girl had "recent complaint" evidence. The alleged incidents occurred probably 10 to 15 years earlier.

full on

I dont understand
neither do I but it never is beyond me to say that I can't work out anything but
you will never say that I can't have something happen and then I don't know about it...

but it will out itself don't worry... handle it with aplomb. and yu will forget the rest of it ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back