Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet...

Australian rules football was invented in Melbourne, Australia, in 1858. The first match identified as a direct precursor to the codification of Australian football was organised and umpired by Tom Wills and contested on 31 July between Melbourne Grammar School and Scotch College, adjacent to the Melbourne Cricket Ground at the Richmond Paddock. The oldest surviving set of rules of Australian rules football were drawn up on 17 May 1859, three days after the formation of the Melbourne Football Club.

That's not how I remember it.

Statues are a pretty white fella thing to do - but it's good that Nicky is being recognised at least. Racism is s**t On the footy field. Better now then when I was playing juniors - used to cop it every week. Well done Nicky Winmar

Yep. From a First Nations perspective it is a foreign concept... how many Indigenous people do you know who have built a statue of some-one in a public area outside a footy ground?

Alright, didn't realise that was the perspective you were looking at it from. Was just pointing out that it's not something unique to white people. I can't say I know any Indigenous statue-makers, you've got me there

Racism was and is abhorrent. Standing up to it in front of 30,000 nutters deserves recognition.[/QUOTE

Are you inferring all 30 000 were rabid racists or they are "nutters" because they support the Pies?

I would suggest a tiny portion of the crowd were calling out racist slurs ( I was there that day and never heard one racist word spoken) so there wasn't much danger in Nicky making a statement. I remember a St Kilda fan branded Collingwood a racist club at the time and I argued that if Winmar had been wearing the black and white he would have been worshipped by the black and white army. True racists would never want to see an indigenous player in their team's colours. The racist taunts were real but just as they were used by players to unsettle or upset indigenous players, I think those idiots who screamed their racist slurs were in the main, not racists, but morons using any slur they thought would hurt the opposition the most. As I said, these same "racists" would be wearing Nicky's number on their guernsey's had he played for the Pies.

That being said, good luck to Nicky if they create a statue in his honor.

Are you inferring all 30 000 were rabid racists or they are "nutters" because they support the Pies?

I would suggest a tiny portion of the crowd were calling out racist slurs ( I was there that day and never heard one racist word spoken) so there wasn't much danger in Nicky making a statement. I remember a St Kilda fan branded Collingwood a racist club at the time and I argued that if Winmar had been wearing the black and white he would have been worshipped by the black and white army. True racists would never want to see an indigenous player in their team's colours. The racist taunts were real but just as they were used by players to unsettle or upset indigenous players, I think those idiots who screamed their racist slurs were in the main, not racists, but morons using any slur they thought would hurt the opposition the most. As I said, these same "racists" would be wearing Nicky's number on their guernsey's had he played for the Pies.

lol, you really think anyone is going to buy this bs?

No mate, you’re still a racist if you think your racist comments are simply for gamesmanship. By saying the racist comments you demonstrate that you have no respect for their race. And that is, by definition, racism.

No mate, you’re still a racist if you think your racist comments are simply for gamesmanship. By saying the racist comments you demonstrate that you have no respect for their race. And that is, by definition, racism.

No-I disagree. A person could use homophobic slurs to upset a gay footballer whilst having absolutely no problem with gays/ gay marriage. They are simply nasty words used with intent. A true homophobe would be disgusted by the idea of gay marriage or even befriending a gay person. These are two very distinct types of people. The same can be said for racist comments being made by people who are not racists.

Tony Shaw and Dermott Brereton admit to making racist comments to players during their careers-with one intention, to put the player off his game. Do you believe these two men are racists? Do you believe they would be horrified if their child married an indigenous person? Do you think they believe indigenous people are inferior in any way? I don't.

No-I disagree. A person could use homophobic slurs to upset a gay footballer whilst having absolutely no problem with gays/ gay marriage. They are simply nasty words used with intent. A true homophobe would be disgusted by the idea of gay marriage or even befriending a gay person. These are two very distinct types of people. The same can be said for racist comments being made by people who are not racists.

Tony Shaw and Dermott Brereton admit to making racist comments to players during their careers-with one intention, to put the player off his game. Do you believe these two men are racists? Do you believe they would be horrified if their child married an indigenous person? Do you think they believe indigenous people are inferior in any way? I don't.
They were racist. They may not be now. The only thing in their defence (if you’re not strong enough to think for yourself) is that our culture was ignorant to its racism and therefore it was an accepted part of our culture. Dermott and Tony were simply swept along by that ignorance. So essentially, there are blatant, self-aware racists, and there are ignorant, unwilling to think outside the box racists. Ignorance is no excuse. If you are descriminating against, belittling, or denigrating another race it is racism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were racist. They may not be now. The only thing in their defence (if you’re not strong enough to think for yourself) is that our culture was ignorant to its racism and therefore it was an accepted part of our culture. Dermott and Tony were simply swept along by that ignorance. So essentially, there are blatant, self-aware racists, and there are ignorant, unwilling to think outside the box racists. Ignorance is no excuse. If you are descriminating against, belittling, or denigrating another race it is racism.

Happy to disagree. Good night.

And Roger Merrett, might I add.

Not in the crazy oversight nonsense of Dominator and Winmar not in yet. They were super players. Seems the perception of their off field lives, whether some of it be true or not has muddied the waters. Having said that, I seen fooballers less deserving hall of fame status than Winmar and Dom already in and Merrett should also be in before some of the lesser lights I seen in last 5 years.

I’m quoting this just so everyone will read it and realise how ridiculous it is

I’m quoting this just so everyone will read it and realise how ridiculous it is

What a silly post! Take apart what I have written if it is so ridiculous. Are you stating unequivocally that Shaw, Brereton and Monkhorst are in fact racists? If so, you must be appalled by the AFL , 3AW, SEN and Hawthorn in particular for allowing such vile people to work for their club or station in positions of public prominence for so many years after their indisputably racist comments. If you don't believe they are racists you clearly agree with everything I wrote. So which is it?

What a silly post! Take apart what I have written if it is so ridiculous. Are you stating unequivocally that Shaw, Brereton and Monkhorst are in fact racists? If so, you must be appalled by the AFL , 3AW, SEN and Hawthorn in particular for allowing such vile people to work for their club or station in positions of public prominence for so many years after their indisputably racist comments. If you don't believe they are racists you clearly agree with everything I wrote. So which is it?
Keep digging away.

Keep digging away.
Make a specific point or don't post. I asked specific questions. Why don't you answer them and point out their flaws? I do understand that you are my moral superior and all that is good and pure in the world.....that is the intent behind your comments isn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back