Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was on TV; it was an epic match and the first time the Saints had won at Vic Park for a very long time (maybe a decade or more?)

I'm pretty sure the Nicky moment was only captured as a photo though.

You maybe right. I reckon maybe I heard it on radio earlier in day live and my memory superimposed thinking I had seen it on replay later that night too and made me think I seen it live.

Interesting decision in the current climate. Pretty sure he was convicted for beating his ex-wife. Doesn't diminish the gesture he made that day but it's interesting nonetheless.

It is not about the man, rather the moment and what it stood/stands for. The sooner people come to grips with that, the better off this thread will be!

God listen to it.

You will get on board with the agenda or else!!!

Put the statue in Victoria for mine.

Last edited:
I think people should disregard the stadium and just think WA, specifically Nyoongar country.
It is his spiritual home and it where the statue should be

What is it with Freo supporters and the need to virtue signal on this thread?

I’ll ask this....jumper lifting aside, is a statue of Winmar really the sort of thing you want to put next to your brand new $1.5b stadium?

What is it with Freo supporters and the need to virtue signal on this thread?

I’ll ask this....jumper lifting aside, is a statue of Winmar really the sort of thing you want to put next to your brand new $1.5b stadium?
great decision. nicky winmar is a proud west aussie and nyoongar man. what he did was a watershed moment against racial attacks both on the footy field and from spectators.
absolutey perth stadium is the right place. particularly when you consider the nyoongar inspired architexture outside of the stadium. why wouldn't you put it there?

One of the most powerful moments in the games history from a player of a Victorian Club during a game at a Victorian Oval against a Victorian Opponent, it should have been built at The MCG, and a long time ago!!!
There are set criteria for getting one at the G.
You need to have performed to a high level at the ground.

great decision. nicky winmar is a proud west aussie and nyoongar man. what he did was a watershed moment against racial attacks both on the footy field and from spectators.
absolutey perth stadium is the right place. particularly when you consider the nyoongar inspired architexture outside of the stadium. why wouldn't you put it there?

Ummmmm because the scene of the reason you are building a statue of him, wasnt in WA?

Can also think of a myriad of better human beings you could build a statue of quite frankly.

Strange decision to put it at the new stadium. Sure it definitely should be a statue, but Perth Stadium probably isn't the place (nor the MCG), and Vic Park and Moorabbin are too out of the way for it to get the exposure it warrants.

You might want to make sure you're 100% sure before posting that

Convicted Winmar's jail threat
From AAP - 05 Oct 2000

3.25pm (AEDT) FORMER AFL football star Nicky Winmar, convicted and fined today for hitting his ex-wife, has been threatened with jail if he reappears in court on assault charges.

Winmar, 34, of Warburton, Victoria, was fined $3,000 for hitting his former wife on Christmas Day last year.

There are set criteria for getting one at the G.
You need to have performed to a high level at the ground.

^^This. Plus after KB's statue last year the MCC currently have no plans for any future statues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummmmm because the scene of the reason you are building a statue of him, wasnt in WA?

Can also think of a myriad of better human beings you could build a statue of quite frankly.
doesn't matter where it was...he went over from south freo. he is wa through and through. so graham moss, brade hardie, shane woewodin, krakouer brothers, polly farmer and cable should not be recognised as they played in the vfl? someone said pavlich and he is a croweater. I do get it though coming from an eagles supporter. after all you did name a wing at subi after mainwaring (rip) who died from a drug overdose. but promoting a blackfella from WA who took a courageous stand is out of order. what this fine western Australian did was unique.

doesn't matter where it was...he went over from south freo. he is wa through and through. so graham moss, brade hardie, shane woewodin, krakouer brothers, polly farmer and cable should not be recognised as they played in the vfl? someone said pavlich and he is a croweater. I do get it though coming from an eagles supporter. after all you did name a wing at subi after mainwaring (rip) who died from a drug overdose. but promoting a blackfella from WA who took a courageous stand is out of order. what this fine western Australian did was unique.

Didn’t use to play for Hawthorn did you?

Absolutely should not be placed at Perth Stadium.

There are plenty of amazing moments and achievements in WA sport without needing to transplant this to Perth.

If they do insist on putting up statues for people who never actually played a game at the new stadium, at least focus on players who played the majority of the career in the West.

As far as it from some kind of amazing ‘Racism in Sport’ moment...fine...put out the front of Victoria Park.
So you would be opposed to statues of matera,judd, cousins, swift ,jackovich or cox ?

typical eagle supporter reply when you have nothing. not the hawks...

Have nothing?

Give me a chance haha.

And I’m going to guess you played a few games for Freo then.

Wow.

As I said, the statue for mine is sound....landmark moment in the history of the game, no question. But for mine, the G as the ‘home’ of footy is the obvious location for political statements. Secondly I’m not sold on a statue of Nicky outside of WA’s new showcase stadium, on character grounds. And drug use v family violence isn’t even a conversation in my book.

One bloke had what ought to be considered a health issue, the other is a criminal plain and simple.

Most obvious candidate for a statue outside of the stadium for me is this bloke...

99F1E9E9-B1D4-4EDC-BCC3-90478F02A997.jpeg

One of the most powerful moments in the games history from a player of a Victorian Club during a game at a Victorian Oval against a Victorian Opponent, it should have been built at The MCG, and a long time ago!!!
While playing a Victorian game.

Perth stadium should've been built at the MCG

Have nothing?

Most obvious candidate for a statue outside of the stadium for me is this bloke...

View attachment 458936
oh I see the one who oversaw the drug culture, knew what was happening but didn't act. got plenty of time for worsfold, courageous player and great coach but there are many above him in the pecking order, like winmar. you need a better example though. winmar is a fantastic choice. and whilst drug addicts do have mental health problems the buying, distribution and use of iilicit drugs is illegal, i.e criminal. if winmar played for the eagles i bet we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back