Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
What sort of perverse logic is that? How insular and parochial can you get?

I suppose we should remove every war memorial or statue here in Oz because the battles took place overseas?

FFS, mate... Why do you have to be such a curmudgeon? There IS NO history with the new stadium. What do you suggest they do for the next 25 years until someone is worthy of a statute in your eyes?

It's not about the actual playing field inside the stadium anyway. The Perth Stadium is the new epicentre of sport in WA: footy, cricket, soccer... So if a WA fast bowler emerges in the next few years and goes on to break Warnie's records (but never takes 5 wickets in Perth) then he'll also be a prime candidate for a statue somewhere around the stadium.

John Coleman played just 10 games at the MCG over his career and Keith Miller played just 8 test matches at the MCG. Both have statues there, not for what they did at the ground itself, but as recognition for their contribution to their sport and Aussie culture.

A statue of Nicky Winmar giving the finger to racism is as good as anything I can think of. Powerful. Momentous. An important part of Australian folklore.

Feel free to ignore it on your way into the ground... :rolleyes:

Disagree.

I was a fully grown man in 1993, watching the game live on TV and Nicky's stand was HUGE at the time and as a symbolic moment, it just got bigger with each passing year. Longy's line in the sand was also an important watershed moment, but it was basically a mishandled spat between 2 players which led to a new rule. Whereas Nicky Winmar planted his flag out in the middle of a hostile environment, surrounded by 30,000 jeering spitting feral Magpie fans and it sparked a period of our history when we were forced to confront our inherent racism in our game, on the terraces and in our society. Fact. Nothing revisionist about it...

Obviously you were too young to fully appreciate it, or too immersed in your beloved Eagles to notice, or simply weren't paying attention.

Love it. And agree, it was big thing at the time. To say otherwise is a furphy. Actually everything you have said is spot on. There is no logic in eagle boy pizza’s comments.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
What sort of perverse logic is that? How insular and parochial can you get?

Yeah look...my main issue is that I don’t feel it’s something that has any real relavance to WA sport - other than the fact that the guy involved was originally from WA. It’s a statue commemorating a particular incident, not particularly the man himself - so it would make more sense to me to place such a statue at or close to the original location of said incident.

That’s all.

Nothing to do with Eagles love (seriously?) or being closed minded and insular. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah look...my main issue is that I don’t feel it’s something that has any real relavance to WA sport - other than the fact that the guy involved was originally from WA. It’s a statue commemorating a particular incident, not particularly the man himself - so it would make more sense to me to place such a statue at or close to the original location of said incident.

That’s all.

Nothing to do with Eagles love (seriously?) or being closed minded and insular. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
But he was the one who did so how can it not be about him as well?

This is hilarious. I feel I've woken up in a twilight zone of sorts.

But hey it at least beats the very disrespectful suggestion of Victoria park.

At first I didn't like the idea of Perth stadium but now I'm warming to it. The idea of a saints player in a saints jumper as the first statue at Perth stadium is gold. Not a wce player. Not a freo player. Not even a well known WAFL player. Not even a cricketer.

A saints player!!!! Stamped on a new 2 billion dollar Perth stadium. Out of all the WA sports participants they've selected a saints player as the most worthy.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC

At first I didn't like the idea of Perth stadium but now I'm warming to it. The idea of a saints player in a saints jumper as the first statue at Perth stadium is gold. Not a wce player. Not a freo player. Not even a well known WAFL player. Not even a cricketer.

A saints player!!!! Stamped on a new 2 billion dollar Perth stadium. Out of all the WA sports participants they've selected a saints player as the most worthy.

Keep thinking small picture dude, it's what you're good at.

Carson Dial

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

As usual you’ve missed the point. It’s not about footy teams knob head, but then again you’re simply too dumb or bigoted. Nobody will be surprised.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
How is this ‘leftist indoctrination’?

It's the spirit of the times. Activists are seeking to change the nature of Australia Day and Anzac Day to make them about Aboriginals. Even the local park isn't safe; Batman's name is being removed in favour of a 19th century Aboriginal (even though his descendants argued it should keep the current name). This joint will go under before some of you wake up to what's happening.

Nothing like a statue in front of a modern sports arena to shame the local populace.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
It's the spirit of the times. Activists are seeking to change the nature of Australia Day and Anzac Day to make them about Aboriginals. Even the local park isn't safe; Batman's name is being removed in favour of a 19th century Aboriginal (even though his descendants argued it should keep the current name). This joint will go under before some of you wake up to what's happening.

Nothing like a statue in front of a modern sports arena to shame the local populace.
Disregarding the utter rubbish in the above quote, how is placing a statue of Nicky Winmar out side an AFL stadium in honour of his stand against racism ‘leftist indoctrination’?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Disregarding the utter rubbish in the above quote, how is placing a statue of Nicky Winmar out side an AFL stadium in honour of his stand against racism ‘leftist indoctrination’?

One man's rubbish is another's facts.

Do you honestly think McGuire would let them put it out the front of Victoria Park? Why aren't they putting it at Moorabbin?

It doesn't celebrate good. It's a reminder of something ugly.

It's about shaming. A continuation of Goodes' AOTY crusade. A perpetual Sorry Day.

Last edited:

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Do you honestly think McGuire would let them put it out the front of Victoria Park? Why aren't they putting it at Moorabbin?

It's about shaming. A continuation of Goodes' AOTY crusade.
What does Eddie McGuire have to do with this? Personally I wouldn’t mind it there either, but it’s a bit off broadway these days.

How is it shaming, it happened, it was an important moment, and since the league has slowly become better for it.

Racism was and is abhorrent. Standing up to it in front of 30,000 nutters deserves recognition.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What does Eddie McGuire have to do with this? Personally I wouldn’t mind it there either, but it’s a bit off broadway these days.

How is it shaming, it happened, it was an important moment, and since the league has slowly become better for it.

Racism was and is abhorrent. Standing up to it in front of 30,000 nutters deserves recognition.

Exactly. Calling a man a black campaigner because your football team is losing isn't something to be proud of. Putting it at Victoria Park is like telling the locals they're a pack of arseholes. It wouldn't last.

Moorabbin's off the beaten track too. They (quite naturally) want to put it where people will see it, even if the location doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not everyone will view it in the same light as you.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Exactly. Calling a man a black campaigner because your football team is losing isn't something to be proud of. Putting it at Victoria is like telling the locals they're a pack of arseholes. It wouldn't last.

Moorabbin's off the beaten track too. They (quite naturally) want to put it where people will see it, even if the location doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not everyone will view it in the same light as you.
But they did it, so they are. He stood up to it, and should be celebrated. Which it sounds like he will be - if I ever make it to Perth, I will be proud, as an Australian, to see that statue.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
But they did it, so they are. He stood up to it, and should be celebrated. Which it sounds like he will be - if I ever make it to Perth, I will be proud, as an Australian, to see that statue.

Why wouldn't they simply create a statue of Adam Goodes playing footy? Or Franklin or Burgoyne or Peter Matera in full flight? Why the need to enshrine the ignoble? I don't think it does anything for social cohesion.

You asked a question and you got your answer; happy to leave it there.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
One man's rubbish is another's facts.

It doesn't celebrate good. It's a reminder of something ugly.

It's about shaming. A continuation of Goodes' AOTY crusade. A perpetual Sorry Day.
I missed the facts bit. How about some facts about Batman? He was a syphilitic mass murderer of aboriginal people.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why wouldn't they simply create a statue of Adam Goodes playing footy? Or Franklin or Burgoyne or Peter Matera in full flight? Why the need to enshrine the ignoble? I don't think it does anything for social cohesion.

You asked a question and you got your answer; happy to leave it there.
And I think a historic moment deserves a statue. You still haven’t answered how it is ‘leftist indoctrination’, not that you’ll be able to, as it’s a phrase of your own creation.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why do you lefties feel a need to pursue people and prod them until they get angry? Here, read about it yourself.

Move to rename Northcote’s Batman Park after Jessie ‘Gumbri’ Hunter angers Aboriginal elder

As pointed out by others, Winmar himself was a flawed character. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...
I’m not prodding, you mentioned facts. I didn’t offer an opinion on the park.

Ahh, name calling. It didn’t take long.

EDIT: replied to the wrong post, apologies.

Back