Nicky Winmar to be honoured with statue.

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond

r

Gillon commissions Emmanuel Santos for the head job

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely should not be placed at Perth Stadium.

There are plenty of amazing moments and achievements in WA sport without needing to transplant this to Perth.

If they do insist on putting up statues for people who never actually played a game at the new stadium, at least focus on players who played the majority of the career in the West.

As far as it from some kind of amazing ‘Racism in Sport’ moment...fine...put out the front of Victoria Park.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC

There are plenty of amazing moments and achievements in WA sport without needing to transplant this to Perth.

If they do insist on putting up statues for people who never actually played a game at the new stadium, at least focus on players who played the majority of the career in the West.

As far as it from some kind of amazing ‘Racism in Sport’ moment...fine...put out the front of Victoria Park.
Nicky is a proud Nyoongar, statue should accessible to all Nyoongar people.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers/Giants, Claremont FC

I gotta agree with this...I have no problems with Winmar and what he did being displayed with a statue, but surely there are more fitting people to be given a statue at the new stadium over here - Pavlich, Jakovich, Worsfold, Matera, Farmer, Cable, Lillee, Marsh, Barnett etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
One of the most powerful moments in the games history from a player of a Victorian Club during a game at a Victorian Oval against a Victorian Opponent, it should have been built at The MCG, and a long time ago!!!

The G has enough statues

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
I gotta agree with this...I have no problems with Winmar and what he did being displayed with a statue, but surely there are more fitting people to be given a statue at the new stadium over here - Pavlich, Jakovich, Worsfold, Matera, Farmer, Cable, Lillee, Marsh, Barnett etc.
None of those ever played at the stadium.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is not about the man, rather the moment and what it stood/stands for. The sooner people come to grips with that, the better off this thread will be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back