Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

You think some racial profiling might have been going on from the taxi driver?
Seems to have been what triggered a bad reaction, according to the reporting. No excuse for violence of course.

But is it normal?

What exactly is this "racist drivel" or "homophobic thoughts" that you're talking about with Sam Newman?

I see plenty of people on here echoing this stuff about Newman, but I'm not really sure what they mean.
It's almost become an accepted fact when his knockers run him down, but what are we talking about exactly?
0F8DE830-0425-454B-B253-8313DC22F694.jpeg

Seems to have been what triggered a bad reaction, according to the reporting. No excuse for violence of course.

But is it normal?
A taxi driver I got many years ago in Perth I think said something along the lines of he had had a lot of problems with indigenous people doing runners on him or saying stuff like "Wait here, I'll go inside and get the money" but then not come back out of the house. I assume someone like that may have wanted their money up front.

It did happen to me just once when one wanted to see some cash up front simply because of the area I was getting picked up from was right near some red cross shelter that he previously had people not want to pay.

Try and think about it before running off at the mouth. I'm typing slowly because I know you can't think too fast. What I'm saying is can't people have an opinion these days without someone (like yourself) taking some kind of offence to it? I type a simple question and two idiots jump down my throat. Get stuffed.
In my opinion murder should be legalised.

Don’t be offended though it’s just an opinion ffs.

Good. Don't let the white men gatekeepers of media re-write the truth and try and tell others what he said and what he was feeling at the time.

Use the courts to get the record straight.

Sam Newman is such a *******. He has a history of racism. I remember all the closest racists, misogynists, rednecks, John Howard supporter, justifying his actions saying that he was just playing a character on the footy show, that he was actually a good bloke. Turns out he was actually reining it in on the footy show and he is a seriously sh*t bloke.

Winmar was either pointing to his skin saying he is proud of his indigenous colour, or saying in spite of all the racist comments he has the guts to win. For Sam to get on radio and dog whistle to his racist base about this shows what a pathetic piece of sh*t he is.

Worse case - Nicky Winmar was out there saying he played with guts, and it has been interpreted as he is proud of his skin.

That was a turning point.

It put a line in the sand to say we will not accept racism in AFL anymore. Whether it was the original intention or not is not the point. Every player in the AFL knows that was when things changed, that's when the line was drawn. It inspired kids all around the country, it gave grown men the courage to speak up and not put up with the crap anymore. He inspired thousands, it changed history for the better.

Why is Sam Newman trying now to debate this? What purpose does it serve to question Winmar's motives?

There are two reasons for Newman to push this.

He is a Racist
He is irrelevant and wants attention

Either way, he is human garbage.

Yep. * Sam Newman; he is a ******* monster and has been for *years*. * him, * his enablers (that means you, Eddie), and * anyone who calls Aboriginal folks friends and then hosts a podcast with said racist (that's you Mike). New generation of footy media required ASAP. Old boys club cannot be trusted in the post BLM era.

You gotta do better than that, Chief

It was 1999. You're applying 2020 vision to a time & place which didn't have the same cultural sensitivity we have now.

To recap: Winmar failed to turn up to a pre-booked guest spot on The Footy Show. It became a running gag throughout the night. (Where is he? Is he on his way?) During the final ad break, Newman went into makeup, had his face blackened, put on a St Kilda jumper, grabbed a Sherrin and made his grand entrance as Nicky Winmar. (Here I am!!! I finally made it!!) That was the context. He wasn't intentionally denigrating Winmar's race or denigrating indigenous people. He was pretending to be Winmar and trying to milk a laugh.

Of course we all know better now, but people didn't back then. You may as well call everyone else on The Footy Show & Channel 9 racist because everyone went along with the joke. Why stop with Newman? Same with the studio audience and the half million people watching at home.

I remember a thread on Big Footy involving someone else in Blackface circa 2009 or 2010 and many people here were still clueless about it's racial insensitivity. It had become a thing in America where people began to call out others who used blackface on tv or in fancy dress parties. But many Australians were still naively ignorant. That 2010 thread was an educational tool.

Here's a story about Harry Connick jnr appearing on Hey Hey It's Saturday in 2009 and being offended when one of the Red Faces contestants appeared in blackface as Michael Jackson.
Mr bland himself, Daryl Somers apologised to Connick Jr: "I think we may have offended you with that act and I deeply apologise on behalf of all of us - because I know that to your countrymen, that's an insult to have a blackface routine like that on the show, so I do apologise to you,"

This is 10 years after Sam Newman! That gives you some idea about how slow Australians were to catch on to the idea that blackface was actually offensive.

Jimmy Fallon went blackface on Saturday Night Live in 2000 and impersonated Chris Rock. See my avatar. That was one year after Sam Newman's Winmar bit. Fallon brought the house down. Everyone loved it. Fallon doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He was playing the fool and trying to make people laugh and he knew no better, same as Newman

Jimmy Kimmel is one of the most socially-progressive leftists on American mainstream TV. Yet in 2001 and 2002, he was repeatedly doing Blackface on The Man Show - he had recurring skits where he pretended to be Oprah and Karl Malone. This was in America, three years after Sam Newman did his Winmar bit.

Nobody called out either of these American TV entertainers for being racist. It's only now with the BLM witch hunts that people have revisited it
So I think it's a bit of a cheap shot to label an Aussie TV entertainer as racist because of a stunt they did in 1999.

I remembering watching the Queensland Footy Show in 1995 :$:$:$. Queensland had just won the Sheffield Shield for the first time and the players were in the midst of a five day bender when Jimmy Maher appeared as a guest, grinning ear to ear and pissed as a fart. They were all getting stuck into him... How are you feeling Jimmy? Are you okay? "Full as a coon's Valiant" he replied and everyone laughed. I nearly fell off my chair. I thought, "Okay, I'm in Queensland. Racist one day... Racist the next."

The difference there is that everyone knew that "coon" was racist and offensive and they laughed anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try and think about it before running off at the mouth. I'm typing slowly because I know you can't think too fast. What I'm saying is can't people have an opinion these days without someone (like yourself) taking some kind of offence to it? I type a simple question and two idiots jump down my throat. Get stuffed.

Silence is agreement or something like that.

People have always been offended but certain groups feel more empowered than they ever did and are just basically calling out the dickheads that use to get away with being dickheads. That’s my opinion on it anyway.

You gotta do better than that, Chief

It was 1999. You're applying 2020 vision to a time & place which didn't have the same cultural sensitivity we have now.

To recap: Winmar failed to turn up to a pre-booked guest spot on The Footy Show. It became a running gag throughout the night. (Where is he? Is he on his way?) During the final ad break, Newman went into makeup, had his face blackened, put on a St Kilda jumper, grabbed a Sherrin and made his grand entrance as Nicky Winmar. (Here I am!!! I finally made it!!) That was the context. He wasn't denigrating Winmar's race or denigrating indigenous people. He was pretending to be Winmar.

You may as well call everyone else on The Footy Show & Channel 9 racist because everyone went along with the joke. Why stop with Newman? Same with the studio audience and the half million people watching at home.

I remember a thread on Big Footy involving someone else in Blackface circa 2009 or 2010 and many people here were still clueless about it's racial insensitivity. It had become a thing in America where people began to call out others who used blackface on tv or in fancy dress parties. But many Australians were still naively ignorant. That 2010 thread was an educational tool.

Here's a story about Harry Connick jnr appearing on Hey Hey It's Saturday in 2009 and being offended when one of the Red Faces contestants appeared in blackface. This is 10 years after Sam Newman! That gives you some idea about how slow Australians were to catch on to the idea that blackface was actually offensive.

Jimmy Fallon went blackface on Saturday Night Live in 2000 and impersonated Chris Rock. See my avatar. That was one year after Sam Newman's Winmar bit. Fallon brought the house down. Everyone loved it. Fallon doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He was playing the fool and trying to make people laugh and he knew no better, same as Newman

Jimmy Kimmel is one of the most socially-progressive leftists on American mainstream TV. Yet in 2001 and 2002, he was repeatedly doing Blackface on The Man Show - he had recurring skits where he pretended to be Oprah and Karl Malone. This was in America, three years after Sam Newman did his Winmar bit.

Nobody called out either of these American TV entertainers for being racist. It's only now with the BLM witch hunts that people have revisited it
So I think it's a bit of a cheap shot to label an Aussie TV entertainer as racist because of a stunt they did in 1999.

I remembering watching Queensland Footy Show in 1995. Queensland had just won the Sheffield Shield for the first time and the players were in the midst of a five day bender when Jimmy Maher appeared as a guest, grinning ear to ear and pissed as a fart. They were all getting stuck into him... How are you feeling Jimmy? Are you okay? "Full as a coon's Valiant" he replied and everyone laughed. I nearly fell off my chair. I thought, "Okay, I'm in Queensland. Racist one day... Racist the next."

The difference there is that everyone knew that "coon" was racist and offensive and they laughed anyway.

Oh, neat, I didnt realise we could be racist back when it was cool to be racist and that's all cool. I mean its obvious when you think about it, we only actually invented morals around 2020.

You know the more I think about it the excuse "it was a different time! It was ok back then!" Just makes me realise people are willing to defend arsehole behaviour.

It's true, you can't compare doing it now to doing it back in the 90's, the attitudes and what is accepted have changed.

You know the more I think about it the excuse "it was a different time! It was ok back then!" Just makes me realise people are willing to defend arsehole behaviour.
No. It's not that at all

It's just having the understanding that these things are nuanced and it's bullshit to dredge back through history and try to hold people to account for things they said and did decades ago in less enlightened times by using today's different standards. You'll understand that when you grow up.

Was Newman spouting hate speech? Did he call Winmar a coon or a black c***? Was he telling Abbo jokes? Did he have a can of petrol as a prop and put on a blackfella voice? Did he tell his Footy Show bosses "There is no way I am interviewing one of those people" and have Winmar barred from appearing?

No. None of those things. He was piss-farting around and trying to make people laugh by pretending to be Winmar on a TV comedy show when Nicky failed to show up. We all now know that darkening your face is offensive. But we didn't back then.

And I'm not defending arsehole behaviour. I've never even liked Newman in the slightest. I'm not saying what he did was right. But I don't think Newman is racist or homophobic. All of his so-called racist or homophobic behaviour is far more accurately explained by him pushing back against identity politics and complaining when it intrudes on AFL footy. That's why he said what he said about Goodes. It's why he said what he said about George Floyd and the BLM kneeling. It's also why he questions the mythology of the Winmar moment when he hears 2 mates telling him a different story about what happened.

It's not being racist or bigoted to have conservative views and to push back against militant left wing identity politics.

Last edited:
No. It's not that at all

It's just being intelligent enough to understand these are nuanced and it's bullshit to dredge back through history and try to hold people to account for things they said and did decades ago in less enlightened times by using today's different standards. You'll understand when you grow up.

Was Newman spouting hate speech? Did he call Winmar a coon or a black c***? Was he telling Abbo jokes?
Did he tell his Footy Show bosses "There is no way I am interviewing one of those people" and have Winmar barred from appearing?
Did he

No. None of things. He was piss-farting around and trying to make people laugh by pretending to be Winmar.
We all now know that darkening your face is offensive. But we didn't back then.

And I'm not defending arsehole behaviour. I've never even liked Newman in the slightest. I'm not saying what he did was right. But I don't think Newman is racist or homophobic. All of his so-called racist or homophobic behaviour is far more accurately explained by him pushing back against identity politics and complaining when it intrudes on AFL footy. That's why he said what he said about Goodes. It's why he said what he said about George Floyd and the BLM kneeling. It's also why he questions the mythology of the Winmar moment when he hears 2 mates telling him a different story about what happened.

It's not being racist or bigoted to have conservative views and to push back against militant left wing identity politics.

Man, is identity politics the absolute favourite conservative buzzword these days?

What is so wrong with pointing out someone is an arsehole and has a pattern of concerning behaviour that is literally traceable to the past? Isnt conservatism about conserving things? Cant we conserve their past behaviour as evidence they are flat out assholes?

Newman did what he did because he knew itd make discussion and sell exposure and make him money. He. Is. An. arsehole.

And if this court case sees him punished financially for it he MIGHT learn his lesson. Seems to me that the ONLY way conservatives learn their lesson is to make them open their bloody wallets.

Man, is identity politics the absolute favourite conservative buzzword these days?

What is so wrong with pointing out someone is an arsehole and has a pattern of concerning behaviour that is literally traceable to the past? Isnt conservatism about conserving things? Cant we conserve their past behaviour as evidence they are flat out assholes?

Newman did what he did because he knew itd make discussion and sell exposure and make him money. He. Is. An. arsehole.

And if this court case sees him punished financially for it he MIGHT learn his lesson. Seems to me that the ONLY way conservatives learn their lesson is to make them open their bloody wallets.
I agree Newman is an arsehole (and I agree with most of the above)

I just don't agree that he is racist or homophobic or transphobic or any other label that people want to hurl (Sexist, maybe)
It's pretty obvious where the guy is coming from

It's got me f**ked why so many people are so desperate to dismiss huge swathes of the population as racist/bigoted/etc
It's really conceited, I think. It's also really damaging and self-defeating. It just shuts down the dialogue. Nobody gets anywhere.

I agree Newman is an arsehole

I just don't agree that he is racist or homophobic or transphobic or any other label that people want to hurl (Sexist, maybe)
It's pretty obvious where the guy is cominmg from

It's got me f**ked why people are so desperate to dismiss huge swathes of the population as racist/bigoted/etc
It's really conceited, I think.

Cocieted or identifying assholes in hindsight? arsehole behaviour is a broad umbrella. Being a bigot is included in that, and Newman will happily push boundaries he knows he shouldn't for his own benefit.

Yep. fu** Sam Newman; he is a ******* monster and has been for *years*. fu** him, fu** his enablers (that means you, Eddie), and fu** anyone who calls Aboriginal folks friends and then hosts a podcast with said racist (that's you Mike). New generation of footy media required ASAP. Old boys club cannot be trusted in the post BLM era.
Post BLM era.

Hahaha, f me.

Which post BLM era, the official BLM or the unofficial BLM era??

The backtracking has already begun in the Premier league as they realise what a bunch of nutjobs the BLM actually are.

I don't think Sam is a racist, homophobe or transphobe. Those terms are too broad and carry too much baggage.

He is a narcissist with low emotional intelligence - he is unable to empathise with those who are different from him. He cannot fathom why they would be genuinely offended by actions/comments that, were he in their shoes, he would simply brush off. The fact he's had 16 or so wives should tell you something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back