Traded 21. Nicola Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Davey play ruck .... Kreuze-style?

Would keep her around the ball where she could influence the game for longer.
Honestly reckon Bri could literally play anywhere... just a matter of where she plays her absolute best. I feel it's either defense or midfield in some capacity, but yeah, very versatile and extremely handy utility.

And welcome Nicola! Really does look better in Navy Blue.

You guys realise she's not really a KPD but more of a running, rebounding & intercepting defender right?

Outside of Davey, we had zero rebound from our backline. Except maybe Brazzale.
We'd only look really good when Davey had the ball. While solid defensively, Attard, Hardiman etc are kick down the line players.

Now we will have 3 players who can rebound with speed which will make us far more dangerous.

Plus i think Davey & Stephens both can play some midfield minutes.

In an 8-team competition that's just starting to get quality youth development, I'd want a few top 30 picks up my sleeve.

She's not a line breaker, and we've already got two solid KPDs, which makes this a very strange trade.

Maybe we are looking at trading back into the 1st round somehow.

As I said above, it's about the number of picks that was given up as well as their order. She's very much worth a high pick, but we've give up two of them.

With the establishment of the TAC Girls comp, as well as now having had 4 years of genuine youth development, I think the talent bed is there that the top 30 of the draft will be quite rich with quality youngsters.

This will step another notch over the next 12 months through the new youth competitions, but the problem then becomes there will be new clubs, with establishment picks and concessions, and that will eat into that talent pool.

Anyway, we might lose a star name ourselves and that could leave us with some picks in return, but I feel like we went a little hard on a name we liked and that it's cost us a solid opportunity in the top 15 of the draft, which is still odds on to net us one of the best 2 or 3 from the Victorian youth crop.

I'm not, I'm just pointing out that we need more ball winners and line breakers, and that's not really Nicola's game. Great player, but unless she sends Bri to the midfield full time, I'm not so sure on this.
So you haven't seen any of the potential players we've given up?

You guys realise she's not really a KPD but more of a running, rebounding & intercepting defender right?

Outside of Davey, we had zero rebound from our backline. Except maybe Brazzale.
We'd only look really good when Davey had the ball. While solid defensively, Attard, Hardiman etc are kick down the line players.

Now we will have 3 players who can rebound with speed which will make us far more dangerous.

Plus i think Davey & Stephens both can play some midfield minutes.
Yep.

The facts are quality disposal in this competition are rare.

So many of the games took on a kick and hope style (even the final) that quality ball use really stood out as well as being able to read the play and ball in flight.

If you had 2 Bri Daveys you'd have (IMO) won the comp and possibly pretty easy.This gets us 1.5 or maybe even 1.75 Bri Daveys.

With good disposal comes the ability to have a game plan that involes less contested ball and fewer turn overs.

I like it.

I'm as interested in their running capacity as their skills. Most of them were clean kicks when they weren't on the back of a 50+ m sprint with and without the ball.

And no I'm not overly familiar with the pool but it was pick 5. I've looked over the TAC highlights and it's pretty clear that they improved rapidly in the 5 week competition, but we should probably all tune in for the U18s match next month:

There's your talent pool for Victoria, and that says nothing of NT and Tassie.

No point in holding on to draft picks if there's not much talent in the draft to bid for. That's not a knock on the women by any means, just that this year is probably a bit of a scramble. In a couple of years time we'll be targeting girls who haven't had a break from footy, and that's when spending 3 picks on one player will be a bit baffling.
I totally agree there. The youth development pathways are going to take time to develop and bring young girls from AusKick and the u12s through to a u18s competition and the AFLW draft system.

There is going to be a lot of work to do over the next few years to bring the women's game up to the same sort of elite level as the men's, but it will happen. By getting in good young players now, we should be able to weather the next few years as the women's youth system develops.

Welcome to Carlton Nic. I think that she will be a great fit for our defence and will be with us for a number of years.

Originally, when I heard we had traded in a Collingwood player, I thought we had traded in Steph Chiocci. Maybe next year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.

The facts are quality disposal in this competition are rare.

So many of the games took on a kick and hope style (even the final) that quality ball use really stood out as well as being able to read the play and ball in flight.

If you had 2 Bri Daveys you'd have (IMO) won the comp and possibly pretty easy.This gets us 1.5 or maybe even 1.75 Bri Daveys.

With good disposal comes the ability to have a game plan that involes less contested ball and fewer turn overs.

I like it.

Yeah and Collingwood were pretty bad last year.

As is often the case she'll probably look better in a better team like ours.
She's clearly highly rated being pick #6 in the draft and won their b&f.

Taking Collingwood's best player is already enjoyable :)

Could have done with bolstering our midfield more though..would have liked a Paxman type.
But Davey and Stephens playing some midfield minutes will help.

Yeah and Collingwood were pretty bad last year.

As is often the case she'll probably look better in a better team like ours.
She's clearly highly rated being pick #6 in the draft and won their b&f.

Taking Collingwood's best player is already enjoyable :)

Could have done with bolstering our midfield more though..would have liked a Paxman type.
But Davey and Stephens playing some midfield minutes will help.

She says in her interview a few times she's looking forward to pushing up the ground and forward .

I really think we're going to play a game style quite different to others.

Stevens explains why she’s heading to Carlton

“But in terms of football development, I was looking for an opportunity to develop myself and take my footy to the next level. But in the end it was a really easy decision for me to make with Carlton.”

“Carlton for me was an easy decision when I was able to see clearly what I wanted in my football,” she said.
“I watched them from afar last season and I could tell they were building something special.”

https://www.zerohanger.com/stevens-explains-shes-heading-carlton-12416/

Just wanted to join a winning side. Given the comp is still brand new and everybody else has the chance to swap teams, why not?

Same as Harris I imagine, she wants Carlton over the other 3 vic teams for a similar reason I reckon. Plus the best training facilities apart from Geelongs 3 day old ones.

Re-signed until end 2019

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-05-31/nic-and-tay-to-stay

HarrisStevensUpdatedHero.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back