Past Nigel Lappin (1994-2008)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Nigel Lappin

Link

Geelong assistant coach Nigel Lappin: Cats still in hunt
Article from:Sunday Herald Sun
Glenn McFarlane
October 19, 2008 12:00am

NEW Geelong assistant coach Nigel Lappin is convinced the Cats have the players to be premiership contenders for at least the next three seasons. Lappin, who accepted a role with the Cats after a 279-game career with the Brisbane Lions, said critics who had claimed this year's Grand Final loss could signal a Geelong decline were off the mark.
"I'm really confident the club will be very strong for the next couple of years," Lappin said.
"Geelong's list is really healthy at the moment. I think most of the players have a lot of good footy left. All their stars are sort of 26 and 27, so I think the upside is very strong."
Lappin, who played in three successive premierships from 2001-03, said the Cats' shock loss to Hawthorn three weeks ago was significantly different to the Lions' Grand Final loss to Port Adelaide in 2004.
"You couldn't compare the two because they are just so different," Lappin said.
"For one reason or another, we didn't move on as quickly as we should have back then.
"The club had a lot of guys retire and some other older players decided to play on again.
"It's a different story at Geelong. I think they have moved on very quickly and are determined to better themselves."
Lappin said the Brisbane Lions were not necessarily the best team in the home-and-away season during their glory years, but managed to play well when it mattered most.
"We weren't the best team during those years in terms of wins and losses, but we were always able to play well in the big games when it counted," he said.
"That wasn't the case when we played Port Adelaide (in 2004). We had excuses, but we weren't the best team on the day. And that's probably pretty similar what happened to them (Geelong) this year."
Lappin, 32, will join Ken Hinkley, Brendan McCartney and Brenton Sanderson as an assistant coach under Mark Thompson. Leigh Tudor will continue as the VFL coach.
After retiring due to an achilles tendon injury, which restricted him to four games this season, Lappin was almost coaxed back into playing when Michael Voss became coach.
"Look, there was a chance, but I don't think I had a lot to gain," he said.
"I had achieved pretty much what I set out to achieve. I had missed so much footy that I'm sure it was the right time to move on.
"It's just great to get an opportunity at Geelong to learn from people like Mark Thompson."

lappin34px8.jpg

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

2008 End of Season Review

This year Lappin was the oldest player on the list and there was speculation this may be his last year from the start.

He got 4 games in and then suffered an achilles injury. It was originally thought to be a minor injury, but like his ‘mystery calf’ and his ‘mystery elbow’ from last year it just kept lingering. In the end he never recovered in time and missed the rest of the year, meaning the remarkable come back against Port in round 4 was his last game. After battling injuries over the last 3 years Lappin decided it was time to hang up the boots.

Lappin has been a faultless role model both on and off the field and he leaves the game as one of the most respected and capable players to don a Lions guernsey. He came to the club as a shy country kid and rose to become a leader and co-captain. He was the only member of the fab 4 not to win a Brownlow medal but was no less feared and wouldn’t have been any less deserving. He was remarkably consistent and had a very good all round game, but is probably best known for his supreme running ability. His most memorable moment was when he played the 2003 grand final with a cracked rib and a punctured lung. It is now part of Lions folklore. Congratulations on a wonderful career.

NIGEL LAPPIN PLAYER HONOURS

Games: 279
Goals: 174
Finals: 23
Draft Details: Selection No.2 – 1993 National Draft
AFL Debut: Brisbane Bears vs Fitzroy (Western Oval), Round 3 1994

Australian Asthma Sportsman of the Year 1998
Lions Club Champion Runner-Up 1997, 2000
Lions Club Champion Third Place 2001
All-Australian 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Lions Best Finals Player 2001
Lions Premiership Player 2001, 2002, 2003
International Rules Series 2001
Lions Club Champion 2004
Lions Life Member
Lions Co-Captain 2007, 2008

lappinel0.jpg

rbgk2e.jpg

Link

Harvey wins Madden Medal
By Jason Phelan
3:30 PM Fri 05 December, 2008

ST KILDA champion Robert Harvey was named the 2008 AFL Players' Association Madden Medallist at a gala ceremony in Melbourne on Friday.

Harvey (28 votes) comfortably won the award from former Fremantle captain Peter Bell (16) and Hawthorn premiership player Shane Crawford (15).

Scott West (Western Bulldogs), David Neitz (Melbourne), Nigel Lappin (Brisbane Lions) and Mal Michael (Collingwood, Brisbane Lions and Essendon) were also short-listed.

scaled.php

Not sure what the voting is based on, but I would have thought Harvey, Lappin, West and Crawford are the stand out players there in terms of playing ability, with not much separating them. Maybe it's more of an airy fairy 'good for the game' type concept, with Bell getting votes for his role with the player's association. Seems to me it is basically a bit of a popularity contest.

Damn that Robert Harvey!! Seriously you can't complain about him being awarded the Madden Medal but I gotta say Nigel Lappin was a true Champion and an absolute ornament to the game. The Hall of Fame beckons!

Was listening + hoping Nige would win it, but thrilled for Harvey......those two were my only interests in the award..

I must say I did enjoy seeing one of my all time favourite Lions out there on the MCG after Geelong's win, congratulating all the players. He had a huge smile on his face and it was lovely to see after the misery he went through in the late stages of his career with the Lions :thumbsu:

Congratulations Nigel - when he's had a couple of years back in Victoria I'd love to see him come on back to the Lions for a coaching gig :D

According to championdata, statistically Nigel Lappin has been the best Lion of the decade and the 8th best player in the AFL.

1. Brett Ratten (66 games, 126.1 average points per game)
2. Nathan Buckley (138, 123.1)
3. Scott West (177, 116.9)
4. Peter Bell (186, 116.7)
5. Joel Bowden (207, 111.7)
6. Ben Cousins (170, 110.3)
7. Chris Judd (178, 110.0)
8. Nigel Lappin (152, 109.1)
9. Simon Black (225, 107.0)
10. Anthony Koutoufides (130, 106.8)

lappin.jpg

Lappin to play for Swans one last time
BRETT KOHLHAGEN
22 May, 2010 12:00 AM

RETIRED Brisbane Lions champion Nigel Lappin will make a shock appearance for home club Chiltern against Tallangatta and District Football League rivals Barnawartha next month.

Lappin, who last played for the Swans in 1993 before being drafted, is free of assistant-coaching duties with Geelong on June 26 and will don the famous No.44 for the final time.

lappin.jpg

Not to be Nigelicious...

Link

A huge crowd turned out to watch Lappin and the Swans take on Tallangatta league rival Barnawartha, but the ex-AFL star's return to footy was cut short in the third term when he was knocked out during a marking contest. Coach Dane O'Neill said Lappin remained on the sidelines to support the Swans after his concussion.

O'Neill said it was unlikely Lappin would play any more games for the Swans. "I think it was a one-off, but it was great," he said.

lappin.jpg

Discussion Thread

Jason Akermanis

I can vividly remember seeing lines drawn in black marker pen on Nigel's ribcage so the doctors could see where to inject the needles. I can also remember that emergency Chris Scott was ready to go. Then 45 minutes before the game, after much to-and-fro, Nigel jumped up and said he was right to play.
Despite a punctured lung, Nigel emerged with a premiership medal and 19 possessions in an inspirational performance.

nigellappin.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was I the only one who, when they saw this thread had been bumped, dreamed for a second that it it would be an article about Lappin coming to the Lions as an assistant. :eek:

Thought exactly the same thing Brown Dog. Wouldn't that have been great. Could have put something positive to finish of the "annus horribilis" we've had this year.
What a champion :):heart::heart::heart:

Hall of Fame

The thing about the Hall of Fame is that every recipient is worthy. In that respect, the selection panel is never criticised for who gets into the Hall, but who is left out is another matter entirely.

At the head of the class is Robert Harvey, St Kilda’s 383-game superstar and dual Brownlow medalist. He will be admitted with barely a discussion.

Fellow 2008 retirees, Hawthorn’s Shane Crawford and the Brisbane Lions’ Nigel Lappin, with four flags and a Brownlow between them would also have serious claims for immediate admission.

lappin.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

What player, past or present would you like to play next too as an opponent or team-mate?
David from Jimboomba (QLD)

Probably Nigel Lappin. He’s a great team man and a top bloke. I like watching him run around playing footy.

nigellappin.jpg

Link

Brisbane Lions' first ever team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       Ben Robbins        Richard Champion     Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Michael McLean     Jarrod Molloy        Andrew Gowers
[B]C:[/B]       Matthew Kennedy    Adrian Fletcher      [B][COLOR="Red"]Nigel Lappin[/COLOR][/B] 
[B]HF:[/B]      Scott McIvor       Dion Scott           Michael Voss (c)
[B]F:[/B]       Darryl White       Alastair Lynch (c)   Chris Johnson
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke     Marcus Ashcroft      Shaun Hart
[B]I/C:[/B]     Justin Leppitsch   Clark Keating        Tristan Lynch

[B]Emer:[/B]    Nathan Chapman     Simon Hawking
         Scott Bamford      Shane Clayton

Brisbane Lions' first ever finals team (1997):

Code:
[B]B:[/B]       Chris Johnson     Alastair Lynch (c)   Danny Dickfos
[B]HB:[/B]      Andrew Gowers     Dion Scott           Darryl White
[B]C:[/B]       Scott Bamford     Adrian Fletcher      Tristan Lynch
[B]HF:[/B]      Steven Lawrence   Justin Leppitsch     [B][COLOR="Red"]Nigel Lappin[/COLOR][/B]
[B]F:[/B]       Nick Trask        Daniel Bradshaw      Jason Akermanis
[B]R:[/B]       Matthew Clarke    Shaun Hart           Marcus Ashcroft
[B]I/C:[/B]     Craig Lambert     Ben Robbins          Nathan Chapman

[B]Emer:[/B]    Brett Voss        Chris Scott          Shane Clayton

The best No.2 picks in draft history
  • by: Al Paton
  • November 20, 2011 11:00PM
5. Jarryd Roughead, 2004 (Hawthorn)
4. Luke Ball, 2001 (St Kilda)
3. Nigel Lappin, 1993 (Brisbane)
2. Dale Thomas, 2005 (Collingwood)
1. Brad Ottens, 1997 (Richmond)

A worthy member of the Lions' "fab four" midfield after being spotted playing for Chiltern, Lappin played 279 matches including three premierships, won the club best-and-fairest in 2004 (against reasonable opposition) and co-captained the Lions in 2007-08. Highly skilled player who's courage and commitment to the cause were typified by playing the entire '03 Grand Final with a broken rib.

nigellappin.jpg

Would have thought Lappin was a clear number 1 there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back