Night Grand Final

Would you prefer a later/night GF?

• Total voters

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
So we should schedule sporting events to cater for the small number of idiots that think getting smashed is the best way to spend Grand Final Day?

Does having it later may means you are more likely to have a normal day and start "partying" when you arrive at the evening function?
I'll bet you're one of these people who reads the bible literally.

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,
So we should schedule sporting events to cater for the small number of idiots that think getting smashed is the best way to spend Grand Final Day?

Does having it later may means you are more likely to have a normal day and start "partying" when you arrive at the evening function?

No, but it is a valid point. This is Australia. Any excuse to party. And by previous arguments we should be catering for those who can't get the day of in WA or who are busy playing lacrosse at the time the bouncedown normally happens.

I feel for the people who can't enjoy the GF because it's on at an inconvenient time. If only somebody would invent a device that allows you to record it and watch it later.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
I feel for the people who can't enjoy the GF because it's on at an inconvenient time. If only somebody would invent a device that allows you to record it and watch it later.
Get with the times Reg, haven't you got a VCR yet? I'll be getting one as soon as I figure out whether Beta or VHS will become the standard.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Again the afl aren't considering the fan in something like this. The mcg works and clears that number of people back into the city, because most people walk back into the city. It's one thing to walk back part cut, a winner or a loser in the late afternoon, than late at night when everyone else is drugged up and drunk. Some people can still afford to take their kids and so. You hit the eateries at just the right time and it's all good the way it is. The condition of the people if they've got all day and night to drink. Before they start celebrating or commiserating. Just on that basis, for the people, let it be.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't mind it either way but petitioning really hard for a night Grand Final seems a little weird to me. I think it'd be really good with a 5:30 bounce down or something but starting it much later than that would really get rid of some of the unique atmosphere the game, and whole day, really has. While it's great to be in Melbs the day of a sunny or otherwise Grand Final, I can see how appealling it'd be to have it later. Either way I don't mind but make it twilight at most, not bloody night time.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I think it'd be really good with a 5:30 bounce down or something but starting it much later than that would really get rid of some of the unique atmosphere the game, and whole day, really has.
That is actually the time I think would be best, 5.30 being what we have on Saturdays as 'night' games and it works well. Still mostly played in darkness at that time of the year and not too late for kids.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
But what about the 6 o'clock news!! The great tv constant in all of our lives. Heaven forbid we can't watch an opening news story about the show we were just watching before the news came on.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'll say it again. It's one thing to walk back into melbourne from the mcg
or into Richmond or wherever when it is still light, than it is to when it is dark. If the fans decide they don't want to take the good walk home because of various concerns connected more to the night, then there's going to be transport/ logistical nightmare created. It's only going affect the fans though, so if it's a financial decision then it isn't of concern to them.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I'll say it again. It's one thing to walk back into melbourne from the mcg
or into Richmond or wherever when it is still light, than it is to when it is dark. If the fans decide they don't want to take the good walk home because of various concerns connected more to the night, then there's going to be transport/ logistical nightmare created. It's only going affect the fans though, so if it's a financial decision then it isn't of concern to them.
People seem to be able to survive with all the other finals and games that finish after dark at the MCG.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
People seem to be able to survive with all the other finals and games that finish after dark at the MCG.
Yes they must. Ok then. Makes my point mute. I don't want an evening grand final still. Call me old fashioned.

Back