NIIIICEEE GARRRYY.. Ehh maybe not that nice, did we just watch Lyon's last test?

Remove this Banner Ad

Terribly out of form. South Africa and Pakistan batsman havent been troubled at all by him..

Maybe we go 4 quicks. I'm a fan of always picking a spinner, but for some reason we haven't got a test quality spinner at the moment.

Interesting times.

Massive over reaction....as always with Lyon

Someone posted in the 1st test thread that his figures over the 4 tests this summer are something like 8 wickets @ 63. If he's not going to dropped after that then he may as well plan on staying there until he qualifies for the pension. Holland deserves a go.

I like Lyon and I generally think he's given a hard time because he's not Shane Warne. And I'll generally dismiss calls for him to be dropped because there's not really an alternative.

Except this season there is an alternative. Jon Holland is having a cracking season -- IIRC, he's taken around 25+ wickets at an average less than 20. I don't have a problem with Lyon going to India... but I reckon the selectors might have erred by keeping him for Boxing Day. He's just got no form.

I've been a bit of a fan, and a defender of Nathan Lyon over the years, constantly pointing out that he is the most successful offie in Australian Test history. However, my patience with him is growing thin. He's played enough Test cricket now to know where he should bowling, he's at a time where he should be bowling the best of his career.

However, just when you think he's getting there, he slips backwards again, continually falling into bad habits of bowling too quickly, not giving the ball a chance to drift and turn, and not bowling in that corridor where offies need to bowl. It's difficult at times trying to work out his tactics.

People wonder why Smith doesn't bowl him at times, and there's no wonder when you see the captain continually demanding the line he needs to bowl, and Lyon is either ignoring him, or unable to do it. Australia is screaming out for a spinner who can lead the attack in the 4th Innings of a Test, but many is the time when Lyon just cannot do it, so the pace men have to take over.

Having said that, he's a lucky man in that there simply is nobody around who deserves to take his spot. So, there's no way he's played his final Test, he'll be in India.

Having said that, he's a lucky man in that there simply is nobody around who deserves to take his spot. So, there's no way he's played his final Test, he'll be in India.
He'll be in the next test and he'll be on the plane to India. But Jon Holland would be breathing down his neck quite heavily at the moment. I've never rated Holland and from the little bit I've seen of him the last 12 months I can't really see what's doing differently now to years gone by... But just about every time he walks on the field he walks off with a bag at the moment.

I like Lyon and I generally think he's given a hard time because he's not Shane Warne. And I'll generally dismiss calls for him to be dropped because there's not really an alternative.

Except this season there is an alternative. Jon Holland is having a cracking season -- IIRC, he's taken around 25+ wickets at an average less than 20. I don't have a problem with Lyon going to India... but I reckon the selectors might have erred by keeping him for Boxing Day. He's just got no form.

but right now, SO'K is injured/returning from injury and Holland has just been ruled out of the BBL with an ankle injury.

He is probably safe for the summer, but will have serious pressure. SOK won't be awful in India imo.

Holland is so meh but seems to be taking wickets so maybe the Sri Lanka tour has done some good?

Will be watching Agar but I hope he doesn't get chucked in as soon/if he gets a bag, especially in India. Though long term he is still likely to be the man imo.

That flog Matthew Wade can GTFO however and his stupid nice Garrrrryyyyyy and his iron gloves too.

Ashwin was doing bad for a while cause he bowled too quickly. Lyon should go there and get some info from Ashwin. Talk to them and stuff. Talk to some great Indian spinners from the 70's. Learn from them.

Lyon is the best spinner in the country but he's just trying too hard to get a wicket rather than trying to create pressure that leads to a wicket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashwin was doing bad for a while cause he bowled too quickly. Lyon should go there and get some info from Ashwin. Talk to them and stuff. Talk to some great Indian spinners from the 70's. Learn from them.

Lyon is the best spinner in the country
but he's just trying too hard to get a wicket rather than trying to create pressure that leads to a wicket.
People keep saying this... but is he? How do we know, yes he has taken the most test wickets in Australia as an offie but if you play a lot of tests you are always going to grab wickets.

The only other spinners seem to be Holland and SOK who l think are both better than Lyon atm. The problem is when a 4th innings of a test comes, he very very rarely grabs the wickets. It is usually the pacemen.
When in India, l know he will be there but am not expecting much since he can't spin it sideways enough. But am secretly hoping a leggie like Ahmed or even Swepson comes.

I don't have a problem with Lyon, I genuinely don't

But I'm fed up to the back teeth with hearing how he must be awesome because he's taken more wickets than any Australian off spinner.

It's not hard when, of the other stand outs, one played in an Era where you were lucky to play a series every couple of years, another played 38 tests over 12 years (and averaged in the 20s) and the most recent one happened to have many of his best years co-incide with the emergence of that Warne fellow and who holds the record for the most appearances as 12th man for Australia.

Simply pointing to his aggregate as a reason to keep him in the team doesn't cut it.

If Lyon is in the starting 11 for the next test then that is a disgace. He is the most over rated bowler ever. He is not a great bowler and I put him up there with some of the worst spinners of all time. How a spinner that has never been able to take wickets on the last day of a test keeps getting a game is beyond me !!!

I don't have a problem with Lyon, I genuinely don't

But I'm fed up to the back teeth with hearing how he must be awesome because he's taken more wickets than any Australian off spinner.

It's not hard when, of the other stand outs, one played in an Era where you were lucky to play a series every couple of years, another played 38 tests over 12 years (and averaged in the 20s) and the most recent one happened to have many of his best years co-incide with the emergence of that Warne fellow and who holds the record for the most appearances as 12th man for Australia.

Simply pointing to his aggregate as a reason to keep him in the team doesn't cut it.

So much this. Mallett and Yardley had more natural talent in their little fingers than Nafan. Even Tim May (at a stretch).

People recommending Holland are deluded.

It's hard for Lyon to get wickets on the highways that have been dished out. Wait and watch until he goes to India and proves everyone wrong.

He's never taken wickets in Asia (Apart from the Michelle on debut in SL), why would that begin now?

Pretty mediocre spinner overinflated by media & fan love in. Has repeatedly failed to perform in the subcontinent and on the final day of home test matches.

I think it's nearly if not time to give Holland the benefit of a similar kind of run Lyon got at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back