NIIIICEEE GARRRYY.. Ehh maybe not that nice, did we just watch Lyon's last test?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m giving him full benefit of the doubt of a brain fade for the AB dropping the ball. I’ve done similar daft s**t and regretted it instantly in the past. Not one month ago, I attempted a mankad in a fit of “plumb LBW not given” rage. Wasn’t a good feeling at the top of the mark next ball!

He did the right thing as well, admitted it was dumb and rang ab that night to apologize.

Don't care about his private life, and nobody should either. We don't know the story at all, the mother could have been an absolute bitch to him for years and he finally had enough for all we know. His new girlfriend does seem to be a bit golddigging, however a lot of WAGs would be. Gun bowler, decent tail ender, gun fielder.

In an attempt to get this rather wretched thread back on topic, I'd like to point out that it's almost exactly two years old.

In that time, Lyon has taken 112 wickets @ 28.06.

These comprise seven 5-fors and one 10-for.

That 10-for was actually a 13-for, and the 5-fors include an 8-for, a 7-for and three 6-fors.

I would suggest that the original intent of this thread has backfired somewhat.

EDIT: Exactly two years now

His figures are:

115 wickets @ 27.67.

7 x 5-for and 1 x 10-for.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has aged well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting it was started by a poster called Carl Hooper.

It was bumped yesterday, Hooper's 52nd birthday.

And today is 31 years since the end of Hooper's debut test, against (it had to be) India.

One thing that bothers me is he`s too thick to speak in anything but cliches. Offers nothing. Will get 400 wickets though

Why would that bother you? He's a sportsman, he's not going to have to debate human rights at the UN.

I do my best not to listen to star actors or star sportspeople talk these days, most of them - understandably to some extent as they have smoke blown up their arse on a daily basis - think they have things worth saying when it's not usually their best skill.

It was only really Wade who hampered Lyon.

Over the past couple of years he has simply used the angles and the crease more effectively than he has previously.

I remember how earlier on in his career he either stuck to bowling around the wicket or came in from over the wicket with a predictable, consistent angle.

Last edited:
I have always thought that the captain was more important to Lyon's effectiveness than the keeper.

There was a period where he was not given a lot of time to settle in - any time he leaked a few runs, fielders would be pushed back and eventually he was pulled off. Immediately he'd drop his head and start bowling ineffective darts. When a captain maintains aggressive fields despite him going for a few and continues to encourage him to toss it up, it seems to give him a lot of confidence.

I do sometimes wonder if this is why he's never taken on a leadership role himself.

His accuracy is what makes him as a bowler I reckon. Obviously his bounce helps but batsmen don’t seem equipped to score off him with any regularity at the moment. Kohli is patient enough but there aren’t a lot of others. They either bat themselves into a hole or take the Pant approach.

I have always thought that the captain was more important to Lyon's effectiveness than the keeper.

There was a period where he was not given a lot of time to settle in - any time he leaked a few runs, fielders would be pushed back and eventually he was pulled off. Immediately he'd drop his head and start bowling ineffective darts. When a captain maintains aggressive fields despite him going for a few and continues to encourage him to toss it up, it seems to give him a lot of confidence.

I do sometimes wonder if this is why he's never taken on a leadership role himself.

And when he'd take a wicket, Smith often seemed to pull him from the attack so Starc or one of the other fast bowlers could have a shot at the new bowler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back