NIIIICEEE GARRRYY.. Ehh maybe not that nice, did we just watch Lyon's last test?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyon is only 29 even if he had got dumped i would have backed him to play tests again, they have axed him twice already when he was averaging low 30's which gives you an idea about the expectations placed on our spinners post warne.

he has played 82 of 86 tests - i'd say that's pretty durable.

i think he missed the first 2 tests in england in 2013 in preference to agar and the other 2 he may have been left out at perth.

he has played 82 of 86 tests - i'd say that's pretty durable.

i think he missed the first 2 tests in england in 2013 in preference to agar and the other 2 he may have been left out at perth.

Was omitted against India in Hyderabad 2012-13 to make way for Maxwell and Doherty. Thankfully only missed the 1 Test.

Bowling a lot more intelligently these days. Used to bowl a lot flatter, and his line was largely middle and leg, spinning away outside leg. Also used to rush his bowling. Used to just wheel around and run in, seemingly without thinking about what he was trying to achieve.

Nowadays he gives it a lot more flight and overspin, and tends to bowl on off or slightly outside off. Asks a lot more questions Also takes a bit more time between deliveries.

Last edited:

10 wickets away from passing DK Lillee now.
24th most prodigious bowler in history. 7th most prodigious spinner, and could be 6th by the end of this series.

he will pass lillee in the next test or so.

this will have taken lyon 18 more tests or so to do (still an awesome effort).

*note : lillee played approx. 20 supertests/ROW (unofficial tests) and collected a further 90+ wickets.

makes sense he will be in our top 3 wicket takers, as surely he will be our 3rd bowler to play 100+ tests.

Hard to believe it's the same guy who we all just thought would be an OK stop-gap for a few years before another spinner arrived on the scene.

But you can see the improvement he has made just by watching him. Compared to when he first come on the scene, he rips the ball harder and he is more accurate - this is just all borne out of confidence that he belongs.

Is a chance to get his average under 30 which will put him right alongside that second tier of great spinners such as Lance Gibbs, Saqlain Mushtaq, Stuart MacGill, Anil Kumble and - as much as I hate to say it - Graeme Swann. Through weight of wickets he probably deserves to be there regardless at the moment.

What should endear him most to Australian fans is his 76 wickets at 28 in Ashes tests, which is brilliant by any measure and only bettered by 7 spin bowlers from either country since WWI.

Hard to believe it's the same guy who we all just thought would be an OK stop-gap for a few years before another spinner arrived on the scene.

But you can see the improvement he has made just by watching him. Compared to when he first come on the scene, he rips the ball harder and he is more accurate - this is just all borne out of confidence that he belongs.

Is a chance to get his average under 30 which will put him right alongside that second tier of great spinners such as Lance Gibbs, Saqlain Mushtaq, Stuart MacGill, Anil Kumble and - as much as I hate to say it - Graeme Swann. Through weight of wickets he probably deserves to be there regardless at the moment.

What should endear him most to Australian fans is his 76 wickets at 28 in Ashes tests, which is brilliant by any measure and only bettered by 7 spin bowlers from either country since WWI.

Statistically he's better than all of them based on his last few years, although Kumble shouldn't be on that list.

Likely to play well into his 30's, he's a super fit and durable guy, built like a marathon athlete.

I can imagine he might want to get to the return away ashes in 2022, he's been getting better with age.

If he replicates his last 4 years.

He would play approx:

130 Tests.
570 wickets.
Finish with an average of around 29.00.

Playing most of his games in the world graveyard for finger spinners.

That would take him past McGrath to #2 on the Australian all time list, potentially #4 all time and behind just Murali, Warne and Kumble.

There's a legitimate argument he could be alot closer to Murali statistically if he also played most of his cricket in the subcontinent.

I don't think there's any doubt he will finish the clear #2 offspinner of all time.

Pretty incredible, the bloke would probably be inline for a Knighthood if we still allowed it based on that career.

Last edited:
I don't really take wicket numbers into account when we're talking about greats, but there is no doubt Lyon is the best finger-spinner to come out of Australia in a long, long time.

Longevity at that level of wickets is important.

It generally means they done it all over the world multiple times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quantity does hold some weight, but agree with The Speaker that it has lot a bit of importance due to the volume of cricket, and in particular how skewed it is to some nations, particularly England.

Others may disagree, but for me once a bowler gets past roughly 250 wickets, the actual number in the wickets column isn't of great importance when judging their quality.

I think an underrated effect of this is how much players (well, Big 3 players anyway) can cash in on a golden run of form.
210889.1.jpg

Graeme Swann.

Swann took quite a while to develop and got into the team in his late 20s from memory while Lyon basically had to learn on the job. In an ideal world, Lyon would've developed in Shield Cricket but there was simply no time for that with us being out of options.

For that reason I don't think it's that fair to look at Lyon's average overall to compare him with other players. I'm sure if Yasir Shah was thrown into Tests at 25 he would've had a mediocre few years as well for example.

If we look at Lyon from about 2015/16 onwards it's clear he'll end up as one of the game's best spinners.

Swann took quite a while to develop and got into the team in his late 20s from memory while Lyon basically had to learn on the job. In an ideal world, Lyon would've developed in Shield Cricket but there was simply no time for that with us being out of options.

For that reason I don't think it's that fair to look at Lyon's average overall to compare him with other players. I'm sure if Yasir Shah was thrown into Tests at 25 he would've had a mediocre few years as well for example.

If we look at Lyon from about 2015/16 onwards it's clear he'll end up as one of the game's best spinners.
Coupled with the fact that he's played with some fairly strong bowling sides whilst his batsman haven't provided him enough runs to make him threatening consistently.

Other bowlers knicking wickets coupled with insufficient totals meaning he doesn't often get day 5 wickets to do his thing on, like your Swans or your Shah's, or even your Herath's.

Lyon won the game as well to make up for the failed run out.

But Joel + Paine combo meant it meant little.
Umpire knew it was plumb, but didn’t want to make the decision.

Should never umpire Test Cricket again.

England will celebrate a win, but Man of the Match was Joel Wilson. He had the biggest impact on the result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back