Boxing Nikita Tszyu v Ben Horn @ Horden Pavilion, Sydney, Wednesday 20th July 2022

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Chiefs, Villa, Coopers
Fairly or unfairly the fight between 'Brothers Of' is headlining a mixed show at Horden Pavilion tonight.
I'll give updates during the night, with mixed lashings of warped humour and harsh judgement*
Running a little behind, but I will endeavour to catch up.

*warped humour and harsh judgement are free services, gleefully provided by the twisted mind of Loony Juice.

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
First fight of the night Joel Taylor 7-0-0 2KO v Michael Hall 8-1-1 5KO. 8 rounds Super Welterweight 69.85 kg

We will be seeing more of Joel Taylor for sure. First round KO of Hall, who is no mug, but was made to look like one.

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Second fight of the night Jaala Tomat 0-1-1 v Shanell Dargan 0-0-1 4 rounds @ Super Featherweight 58.97 kg

Both fighters very willing. Dargan wanting to brawl, Tomat boxing sensibly, utilising her jab and reach advntage.

Could see this one being a draw.

Surprisingly a majority points victory to Shanell Dargan. Well done, first professional victory.

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Third fight of the night Ashleigh Sims 0-1-1 v Jessica Adams 0-1-1, 5 rounds @ Super Featherweight 58.97 kg

Ashleigh Sims, wife of NRL player Tariq Sims. Also had a great fight, which ended in a draw, with Shanell Dargan (winner of the previous bout) on the Harry Garside v Manuer Matet card 6th April 2022.

Second round KO victory to Adams. Utilised her reach advantage fully, frustrating Sims, who left herself open and Adams pounced. First professional victory.

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fourth fight of the night - Darragh Foley 19-4-1 9 KO v Hunter Ioane 8-4-1 5KO. 6 rounds @ 65 kg Catchweight.

Both fighters love to bang, and will come forward and be aggressive. Which can be exciting, but can also make for a scrappy bout. Adding a bit of intrigue, is that Ioane has promised a first round KO victory. Also both fighters sporting terrible haircuts.
First round was very scrappy. Ioane may well get disqualified at this rate, hitting after the bell in round 1 and again after the ref called break in the second round. Also warned for using the shoulder.
Foley drops Ioane with a right hook in the second round, but he survives.
Ioane getting some good shots in during the third round, but Foley looks too polished.
Bizarre moment early in the fourth round where arms tangled and they both ended up on the canvas face down, Ioane on top. Not my cup of tea, but each to their own. Big cut to Foley, on the upper eyelid after a head clash. Ioane also cut, on the hairline. Both cuts bad, and could be a deciding factor.
For those unfamiliar with boxing rules. If the fight is stopped due to an accidental head clash, before the completion of the fourth round it is deemed a Technical draw. After the completion of four rounds it goes to the judges scorecards.
Doctor has stopped the fight halfway through the fifth round.
Bit of niggle after the doctor called the fight. Ioane being a bit of a silly sausage. Teams keeping the two combatants apart, til Ioane storms out.
As expected a unanimous points victory for Daragh Foley

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fifth fight of the night Justin Hodges 4-1-0 2 KO's v Jordan Simi on debut. 4 rounds x 2 minutes @ Heavyweight
Hodges wants a fight with Paul Gallen. Simi wants his ex GF back.
So I guess there is a bit on the line.
Hodges landed a couple in the first round. Simi landed a good shot in the second.
Unanimous points victory to Hodges. All due respect, but Paul Gallen would finish Hodges pretty quickly.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not much to see there. Nikita Tszyu wide on on the inside, but was allowed to push. Horn wasn’t allowed to hold - even though he wasn’t. On that I’d say Tszyu won’t even be a journeyman on a world level. Horn is about as his record suggests domestically at now 4-5. Tszyu struggled with Horn, and struggled after being allowed to push and punch, and keep the in fight momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sixth fight of the night Sam Goodman 11-0-0 6KO v Juan Elorde 29-2-0 15KO, 10 rounds @ Super Bantamweight 55.3 kg for the WBO Oriental & IBF Inter-Continental Super Bantamweight Titles.
A boxer with a bright future is Sam Goodman against a tough veteran in Juan Elorde from the Philippines.
Composed start from Goodman against the dangerous veteran. He hurt Elorde in the fourth, and is cutting off the ring very well. Using his crisp left jab to full advantage to open up the defenses of Elorde.
Quality boxing from Goodman, wearing his opponent down and utilising precise combinations.
Ref stops it halfway through the eighth round.
Well done Sam Goodman, victory by TKO.

Loony Juice

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2022
Rubicon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Here we go then with the 'Main Event'

Ben Horn 4-4-0 2KO v Nikita Tszyu 2-0-0 2KO 6 rounds @ Super Welterweight 69.85 kg.
What is the ref doing? Lot's of holding, pushing and forearm shoves. Very scrappy.
There's no doubt Horn is tough, but that is not always a good thing if the skills aren't at a high level
The commentators do talk Nikita Tszyu up way too much in my opinion. Constantly mentioning his awesome power.
He has potential, but I am not totally convinced. He looked fatigued in the last round, leaving himself open and Horn got some good shots in and nearly scored a surprise KO
Kostya was a favourite of mine, and I look forward to Tim's next fight.
Tszyu 60-54, 60-54, 59-55 for a unanimous points victory.

Back