Nine Rule Changes for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I see that the shepherding of the man on the mark will still be allowed. That should have been ruled out but it's still legal. Geelong doesn't do it so I guess now we will need to train to get it into our tactics.

This is my biggest pet peeve of any rules, mainly due to the fact that a player isnt allowed within the protected area of a player after a mark/free kick but a player is allowed to stand near the man on the mark and just impede them from making a contest. Any where else on the field and it is a free kick.

If it is now so much easier for teams to kick in, what does that do to the pressure, lock-it-in-your-forward-half teams? Potentially rewards the WC, Geelong possession-style teams a bit more?

I'd liked to have seen the distance for a mark increased. A string of dinky kicks of barely 15 metres gives me the shits.

A mark should only result from a kicked ball that has traveled more than 25 metres without anyone else touching it. It would create greater risk for the side wanting to play possession football and reduce the number of umpire calls of whistling and calling "hold, hold" while another dinky kick is created.

If the distance is to remain at 15 metres at least make sure that catching the ball after an 8 or 10 metre kick isn't called a mark. That's "play on!" and should be every time.

I'd liked to have seen the distance for a mark increased. A string of dinky kicks of barely 15 metres gives me the shits.

A mark should only result from a kicked ball that has traveled more than 25 metres without anyone else touching it. It would create greater risk for the side wanting to play possession football and reduce the number of umpire calls of whistling and calling "hold, hold" while another dinky kick is created.

If the distance is to remain at 15 metres at least make sure that catching the ball after an 8 or 10 metre kick isn't called a mark. That's "play on!" and should be every time.
Then you might get your 15 at least.

My biggest gripe of all (probably) is umpires still with the responsible for awarding Brownlow votes and the OTT penalty that sees suspended players being ineligible for the award. That probably cost PD a second Brownlow and certainly Chris Grant missed out under similar circumstances.

Last edited:

After a mark, is the 15 from where the player kicks it or from where he marked it?

That always amused me in the preseason, player marks within f50 but kicks it from outside 50, still just 6 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only rule change I like is the one where runners and water carriers are only allowed on the field after goals and before the bounce.

The rest, meh.
  • Six players from each team to be inside the 50-metre arcs. Players will line up on the 50m line and dash into the centre square. Isn't the 50m line only 2m from the centre square at the SCG? This won't help congestion.
  • Kick-ins: Player no longer needs to kick to himself to play on. Man on the mark to be positioned 10 metres from top of goal square. Defenders will play on nearly every time. It's too much of a break from the traditional game.
  • Defenders that take a mark or win a free kick within nine metres of their own goal will be given space to dispose of the ball with the player on the mark brought back in line with the top of the goal square. Are grounds going to be marked with a 9m arc or will it be left up to the umpire's judgment?
  • 50-metre penalty: the player with the football will be able to play on while advancing towards the new mark and if the player who infringes falls behind the player taking the penalty they will not be allowed to man the mark. Will this result in a mad dash to the advanced new mark and if the player with the football gets there first there will be no one on the mark? Sounds like a debacle in the making.
  • Hands in the back rule: It has been abolished with the player allowed to place his hands on an opponent's back to protect their position in a marking contest but not to push the player in the back. A good rule change reduces umpire interpretation. This change increases it.

That 6-6-6 rule could really end up hurting us, our preferred structure has been to have a plus 1 behind the ball. Out defenders performed really poorly this year when teams equalised the numbers. Fast players and fit players who can get back quickly after losing a centre bounce will be crucial, Murdoch and Rohan on opposite flanks would be great at this. I expect the number of follow up stoppages after a centre bounce will go through the roof as teams prefer to lock the ball in then has a small chance to win a clean clearance, ruckmen will grab the ball out of the ruck to cause a stoppage. Could start Blicavs on a wing and have him roll back behind the ball.

The rule changes around the kick ins should help weaken the press. Changes to the hands in the back rule and the forced player starting in the square is just asking for us to put Dangerfield at full forward.

The number of blowouts will go through the roof.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts.

1. It's still 4 in the square, no? So a 7th man can sit between the 50 and the centre square. It will cause a shitshow when a team has a lead under a goal, and they can't park the bus, or risk giving away a free kick to park the bus.
2. Playing on from a 50m penalty is good. What happens currently is that umpires will wait for the opposition player to trudge up to man the mark. Now, basically, when the player with the ball is ready to take the kick, he can.
3. Kick ins will be interesting. I'd have preferred a 25m arc, and like the goal square, it's a protected area. Essentially like a kick after a goalie in soccer picks up the ball. Feet within the arc.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

I see that the shepherding of the man on the mark will still be allowed. That should have been ruled out but it's still legal. Geelong doesn't do it so I guess now we will need to train to get it into our tactics.
I would have liked to have seen a rule that states:
  • when a player marks the ball, another player from the opposing team MUST man the mark.
Just so we are forced to ******* do it! :mad:

If it is now so much easier for teams to kick in, what does that do to the pressure, lock-it-in-your-forward-half teams? Potentially rewards the WC, Geelong possession-style teams a bit more?
Good question! Yes it will definitely help the kick in team. But still want those zippy forwards to man up. Slow Menzel types will be exposed after a point in terms of manning up.

Couple of thoughts.

1. It's still 4 in the square, no? So a 7th man can sit between the 50 and the centre square. It will cause a shitshow when a team has a lead under a goal, and they can't park the bus, or risk giving away a free kick to park the bus.
2. Playing on from a 50m penalty is good. What happens currently is that umpires will wait for the opposition player to trudge up to man the mark. Now, basically, when the player with the ball is ready to take the kick, he can.
3. Kick ins will be interesting. I'd have preferred a 25m arc, and like the goal square, it's a protected area. Essentially like a kick after a goalie in soccer picks up the ball. Feet within the arc.
No . 7th man can’t go in between square and 50. 6 must be inside the 50 with one of those 6 in the square.

My biggest gripe of all (probably) is umpires still with the responsible for awarding Brownlow votes and the OTT penalty that sees suspended players being ineligible for the award. That probably cost PD a second Brownlow and certainly Chris Grant missed out under similar circumstances.
Let the emergency umpire vote from the stands would be better.

The new rules do get rid of one of the great "it happens once a year" rules. The crowd loves it when an opponent goes outside the goalsquare from a kickout and gives up a bounce at the top of the square. I'll miss that.

That 6-6-6 rule could really end up hurting us, our preferred structure has been to have a plus 1 behind the ball. Out defenders performed really poorly this year when teams equalised the numbers. Fast players and fit players who can get back quickly after losing a centre bounce will be crucial, Murdoch and Rohan on opposite flanks would be great at this. I expect the number of follow up stoppages after a centre bounce will go through the roof as teams prefer to lock the ball in then has a small chance to win a clean clearance, ruckmen will grab the ball out of the ruck to cause a stoppage. Could start Blicavs on a wing and have him roll back behind the ball.

The rule changes around the kick ins should help weaken the press. Changes to the hands in the back rule and the forced player starting in the square is just asking for us to put Dangerfield at full forward.

The number of blowouts will go through the roof.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the wingers on each side of the square positioned right towards the back of the square for both teams and a guy like Blicavs starting there and moving straight into defence as soon as the bounce happens.

A couple of impacts of this:

1) Dangerfield forward is a better option. As said he'll get true 1 on 1 chances and not have hands in the back to worry about but also we can't afford to be opened up the other way and his one-way running can hurt this.
2) Defensively minded mids (Parfitt, S Selwood, Guthrie, Blicavs, etc) will be more important in center bounces.
3) Umpires should crack down on deliberately rushed behinds because it's way better to get a kick out than hack kicks out of defence.
4) With zones from kickouts having to cover more space and defenders being able to play on without kicking to themselves I'd expect to see fast defenders sometimes take on the man on the mark (eg Adam Saad from Essendon).
5) Playing a midfielder in the ruck will lead to opponents grabbing it out and give them a much bigger advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back