Switch Nintendo Switch News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

BOTW first I reckon then XC2, my sister is still playing Octopath so that one will take a very long time

I’m absolutely itching for XC2 but I think I’ll take your advice and start with BotW to see for myself what the big deal is. Plus it’s the original reason I ever took an interest in the Switch. Diablo I’ve played the s**t out of since day dot and then over half a dozen seasons so I don’t need to start that at any point, that’s more just something to do undocked when sitting on the lounge with the wife to make it seem like I’m being sociable. Octopath Traveller looks like it’s something that I can comfortably play undocked too.

Just looking online and the Switch section in JB last night it looks like a haven for JRPGs and old school RPGs of the kind that I haven’t played in probably 20 years.

Local shopping centre had a huge switch area setup outside. 9 demo stations running Mario Party, Pokemon Let's Go and Smash Bros Ultimate as well as a display case with the Smash Bros Switch and dock. The dock looked nice but those grey joycons with a couple of white lines on them look really lazy.

Played a few rounds of Smash, having not played much of the Wii U version, my hype has increased dramatically. Had about 25 characters to play as, got to try Ridley before my daughter wanted a Pikachu vs Pokemon trainer match against me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bought one of these *ers yesterday. Itching for a decent sports game, two playable that's actually workable, guess that's too much to ask? Fight Night, Top Spin would be nice.

Warframe looks ******* amazing on Switch. You get so much quality gameplay for a free download It's ridiculous. Highly recommended.

I struggle to stay interested in Warframe after about 20 hours. I prefer Diablo for that sort of grindy thing.

Been getting through BotW but I have to admit it has been a struggle. I don’t know if I just hyped it up too much for myself and is ultimately the reason I wanted a Switch, or if the last time I really played a Zelda game was Link to the Past (never owned a SNES but played it heaps in high school late 90s on an emulator) and it’s just really not for me. I have one Divine Beast down, just over half the towers and a heap of shrines, when is the penny going to finally drop? When am I going to start finding more weapons around 50 (or higher if they do?) and a little bit more durability. It just feels like I’m constantly pushing s**t uphill and the attrition is really sapping the fun.

Can’t wait to dive into Octopath Traveller when I finally get through this though. Looking at that game and the reviews are another reason I bought a Switch as I miss all of those older style RPG and adventure/dungeon crawler sorts of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of agree with BitBlock here: Since 2017, new games have really dropped away.

1. I disagree about portability. I like having a handheld option.
2. Agree that there haven't been enough new titles or even brand new titles compared to older systems.
3. Agree that the WiiU had more exclusives and was managed better.

on a side note:
1. I like that there are more ports
2. Zelda and Odyssey made it worthwhile to some extent.
3. It's cool technology and looks great.

It could be the state of gaming these days. Maybe developers aren't doing the same games, it might be a peripheral problem that the meant the WiiU had more new exclusives. An example would be ZombieU and Pikmin.

An issue is that people are getting excited over a port of old games because not much else is occurring aside from a new Smash Bros Ultimate game and new Pokemon is cool, but there really isn't much else going on.

Considering the success of the console, and the technology, they are really letting down on software.

For example, the logical thing would have been to just add Virtual Console to what they'd already done on the WiiU as well as the new stuff, Instead, it's like they have some guy sitting in the IT department adding 3 new games after say, 6 weeks or when he feels like it. It's bizzare.

As for new stuff. There has been no Direct that has really projected much for 2019. Yeh, there was an announcement of Animal Cross and Luigi's Mansion, but that's it??? Come on...

It's like they had a meeting and decided, "indie games will do", "this will sell the system".

Either they have a new direct planned or they've just let themselves go completely.

Last edited:
I sort of agree with BitBlock here: Since 2017, new games have really dropped away.

1. I disagree about portability. I like having a handheld option.
2. Agree that there haven't been enough new titles or even brand new titles compared to older systems.
3. Agree that the WiiU had more exclusives and was managed better.

on a side note:
1. I like that there are more ports
2. Zelda and Odyssey made it worthwhile to some extent.
3. It's cool technology and looks great.

It could be the state of gaming these days. Maybe developers aren't doing the same games, it might be a peripheral problem that the meant the WiiU had more new exclusives. An example would be ZombieU and Pikmin.

An issue is that people are getting excited over a port of old games because not much else is occurring aside from a new Smash Bros Ultimate game and new Pokemon is cool, but there really isn't much else going on.

Considering the success of the console, and the technology, they are really letting down on software.

For example, the logical thing would have been to just add Virtual Console to what they'd already done on the WiiU as well as the new stuff, Instead, it's like they have some guy sitting in the IT department adding 3 new games after say, 6 weeks or when he feels like it. It's bizzare.

As for new stuff. There has been no Direct that has really projected much for 2019. Yeh, there was an announcement of Animal Cross and Luigi's Mansion, but that's it??? Come on...

It's like they had a meeting and decided, "indie games will do", "this will sell the system".

Either they have a new direct planned or they've just let themselves go completely.

Yeah imo it’s definitely been a disappointing year. Super Mario Party sums up the Switch for me. A definite step in the right direction that nonetheless leaves you feeling frustrated because the real potential is so obvious and yet unachieved.

The lack of adequate AAA third party support is worrying - we should’ve had much more by now (sorry I say this every time :p). How on earth GTA doesn’t have a presence on the switch is bizarre. Nintendo should be doing everything to make it happen.

Also the Switch needs Pikmin. Would work perfectly.

Last edited:
For me personally I've loved the Switch this year. A lot of the great games like Hollow Knight that some people dismiss as "mere indie titles" or "Just another port", well that doesn't matter to me, it may as well be an exclusive, I discovered it on the Switch. Same with Dead Cells. Octopath Traveler was another highlight. It depends on the individual, of course.

For me personally I've loved the Switch this year. A lot of the great games like Hollow Knight that some people dismiss as "mere indie titles" or "Just another port", well that doesn't matter to me, it may as well be an exclusive, I discovered it on the Switch. Same with Dead Cells. Octopath Traveler was another highlight. It depends on the individual, of course.

Forgot about Octopath. The Switch could do with a lot more titles like that and golf story.

Indie titles shouldn’t be discounted and I don’t think are on here. Personally, Stardew Valley is one of my favourite games of the last 5 or so years.

I don’t think that discovering a multi plat indie title on the Switch gives the Switch a pass though. It’s great that they’re there but the two big drawcards Nintendo could have are its first party library and AAA third party games. It’s had some big hitters in both but it just feels like it’s dried up a bit this year other than Wii U ports.

Bought a Switch today with Pokemon from Amazon, after vouchers only cost me $309. So I'm content with that price.

Contacted Amazon this morning and voiced a tiny amount of displeasure that the Switch was $69 cheaper today. So they credited me $69, which bought the pro controller :)

Also in regards to Bitblocks criticism of the switch. You can buy back grips and thumb stick grips for your joycons, so he doesn’t seem very solutions driven in trying to improve his experience.

I do agree that the software, the e-shop, virtual console and new game exclusives are dissapointing overall so far. It’s mostly been ports of great old games sold at way over premium prices.

In that regard I see why people were happier with the WiiU.

Then I think, well, maybe the switch is just the WiiU re designed. I mean, it’s the same company after all. So maybe I shouldn’t be thinking about it in terms of it actually being different.

But again, I would think by now, new games would be getting announced.

They really need a direct showcasing the next two years of projects. I’m assuming this will happen soon, and it needs to.

Then I think, well, maybe the switch is just the WiiU re designed. I mean, it’s the same company after all. So maybe I shouldn’t be thinking about it in terms of it actually being different.

They really need a direct showcasing the next two years of projects. I’m assuming this will happen soon, and it needs to.
Don't agree with the Switch being a redesigned Wii U thought. It's a completely different console and should be judged as such imo.

As long as ports don't take away from the development of new games and fill the gaps in the library rather than dominate it, I don't have a problem with them. Just not sure that that's the case with the Switch.

New games are coming out, they just announce them at a shorter timeframe than Xbox or PS4. Smash Bro's is out soon and it was only announced six months ago. I assume they have other big first party games in the pipeline they are also keeping quiet till closer to release.

I love the switch for the portability but if it didn't have that then it would find it hard to compete with the more powerful systems on anything besides indies and platformers.

Switch has a had a decent year. Games take time to develop so 2018 was always going to be quieter than 2017. Super Mario Party, Pokemon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate is a solid end to the year.

Dont discount Wii U ports either. Keep them tied to a dead user base of 12 million or let them find new audiences on a successful console... a real no brainer.

3rd party AAAs, as overrated as I think most of them are, that's on the publishers, not Nintendo. They have the sales data, but nah lets just count our billions in profits from microtransactions on other platforms rather than use a barely noticable fraction of that to fund and develop a Switch version or Switch exclusive games. EA and Activision aren't in the business to innovate and push the industry forward in a meaningful way.

Ubi and Bethesda the only ones willing to put the effort in. Capcom is slowly coming around.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back