Switch Nintendo Switch - teaser trailer page 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know it either until I saw Glenno23 posting about it ages ago (maybe GTAV or PS4 launch)

Yeah, back when i worked in WA, no midnight launches for big business..... There were some single traders that were able to do them, but they all closed up shop (not that there was many of them) about the same time GAME folded. It was to protect the little guys (which is fair) as a big franchise like EB/JB could easily put staff on, whereas an individual operator may have more trouble. It's just that there were never many single operators in gaming. It's just too hard dealing with vendors as a single owner

It was annoying when i worked at EB not being able to get our hands on stuff until the next morning at 8am thanks to government regulation though. People over east (and NZ) would have the games at 9/10pm WA time the night before and we we're getting it for nearly 12 hours after that! Crazy

lol somehow the fact that they shipped few wii's and got owned for it because it exploded in popularity (also not predicting the amiibo explosion) has mutated into this giant conspiracy theory that nintendo purposefully limit numbers to build hype. they've created and shipped 3 million units so far, we know that from the screen developers reveal of how many they were making. they're gonna sell through them all in the launch window (2 months), it'll be comparable to XB1/PS4 sales in their launch windows. the conspiracy probably helps fuel sales but i don't think it's some grand plot to keep gamers antsy, i mean it's only america that suffers with the numbers anyway because of their hysterical pre-order and buy buy buy mentality and shocking retailers like walmart and best buy they have to suffer through. people have deduced they gave 500k to gamestops in the us alone which is a huge figure, how much more do you want them to risk making initially

lol somehow the fact that they shipped few wii's and got owned for it because it exploded in popularity (also not predicting the amiibo explosion) has mutated into this giant conspiracy theory that nintendo purposefully limit numbers to build hype. they've created and shipped 3 million units so far, we know that from the screen developers reveal of how many they were making. they're gonna sell through them all in the launch window (2 months), it'll be comparable to XB1/PS4 sales in their launch windows. the conspiracy probably helps fuel sales but i don't think it's some grand plot to keep gamers antsy, i mean it's only america that suffers with the numbers anyway because of their hysterical pre-order and buy buy buy mentality and shocking retailers like walmart and best buy they have to suffer through. people have deduced they gave 500k to gamestops in the us alone which is a huge figure, how much more do you want them to risk making initially

Nintendo is always conservative with their stock numbers. There is enough evidence to say that they create artificial demand on a lot of their products.

The Wii was an example of them doing it and then you could see when they had actually ran out of stock (that 2007 when you had to wait months to get one).

Part of the reasons Amiibos took off was this strategy, that had people buying multiples in order to sell/swap them for profit.

If the Switch has about 3 million units in the wild that's about the same as PS4/Xbox had on launch. They were always going to sell out of launch stock, there is enough Nintendo fans in the world to guarantee that. It is the life beyond that launch window that is important for Nintendo.

I think it is both. The initial wave is short stocked to increase demand artificially and then the demand gets so out of hand that the supply can't meet demand. I don't think it is the cause of the Wii's incredible sales success, but I think it definitely helped.

It is a solid strategy and works on a lot of Nintendo products (Wii/NES-Mini/Amiibos), but it would be naive to think that it is the only reason for them being successful.

Mini Nes shortages are definitely on Nintendo, deliberately playing on that nostalgia.

I'd like to think stuff like the Wii and Amiibos was Nintendo not knowing how the market would react to them initially. Considering the Wii was not only a new concept but it was following the sales flop that was the Gamecube.

Amiibos, were going up against the Skylanders juggernaut (at the time) with much less of the functionality. This is why a lot of the lower tier characters became the rare ones (Villager) where as there was a bit more confidence in popular characters in Mario and Pikachu selling, that those would be readily available at all times.

Switch is hard to judge, I'd lean more towards deliberate stock shortages and trying to ride that Mini Nes hype but then you also need to factor the Wii U only sold 16 million total. They may not have anticipated the initial 3 million selling out before they could get the next batch manufactured, despite the company showing a lot of confidence in their marketing of it.

Nobody knows for sure. All i know is 2 weeks from today and it's Switchmas.

Mini Nes shortages are definitely on Nintendo, deliberately playing on that nostalgia.

I'd like to think stuff like the Wii and Amiibos was Nintendo not knowing how the market would react to them initially. Considering the Wii was not only a new concept but it was following the sales flop that was the Gamecube.

Amiibos, were going up against the Skylanders juggernaut (at the time) with much less of the functionality. This is why a lot of the lower tier characters became the rare ones (Villager) where as there was a bit more confidence in popular characters in Mario and Pikachu selling, that those would be readily available at all times.

Switch is hard to judge, I'd lean more towards deliberate stock shortages and trying to ride that Mini Nes hype but then you also need to factor the Wii U only sold 16 million total. They may not have anticipated the initial 3 million selling out before they could get the next batch manufactured, despite the company showing a lot of confidence in their marketing of it.

Nobody knows for sure. All i know is 2 weeks from today and it's Switchmas.

The Wii U sold about 13.5 million. Was in their financial report this month.

BTW if anyone wants to pick up Wii U stuff.
I've noticed EB are starting clear out games and there might be some bargains.
Soon the only way to buy the games will be ebay so i'll be scooping up some games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why would someone think Nintendo needs to inflate demand by undersupplying a unit? that didn't happen with the Wii or amiibo and again I don't think it makes sense to create 2 million NES mini's out of thin air. if you just think "it's a Nintendo of course ppl want one" then fine but maybe they look at actual sales figures like of the Sega Mega Drive all-in-one and think it's unwise to assume it's going to sell millions in 1 month. i don't think it happened with any of these things when you look at their number breakdowns

For sure, but it's better than flopping on release. Pretty sure in the US the allocation for the first wave sold out fairly quickly.

Would have to be super bad for a Ninty console to flop at launch

Thankfully it looks like they might have got it right with this machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back